• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Addition to the toss.

Dravid

International Captain
I was thinking about this, there should be an addition to the toss allowing the winning side to also select the pitch the match is played on. A lot of grounds in the World have more than one pitch on the field, and they aren't always the same, and I believe the winner of the toss should be able to pick the pitch the match is played on.

Thoughts?

oz_fan

International Regular
I don't know if it would work. ODI's are entertaining to watch because you don't know which way the match is going to go and any team could win on any day. I think giving the winning side the choice of pitch will take away that aspect of ODI's and we could end up knowing who is going to win the match based on who wins the toss.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Might be a rather unfair burden on the groundskeepers to have more than one pitch up for use in a first class or international match. The reason they have more than one pitch is so they can be prepared to be ready at different times. Interesting but not practical for mine.

open365

International Vice-Captain
That's completely im-practical, the groundsmen spend ages pre-paring the pitches and in a packed cricket schedule there's no way they could do it for every game.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think it would be feasible at international leve, the groundsmen spend a lot of time preparing a pitch that they think will provide an even contest between the two teams and asking them to provide two or three of these pitches is quite unfair on them. Winning the toss has enough advantage as it is, more so than in some other sports.

andmark

International Captain
Dravid said:
I was thinking about this, there should be an addition to the toss allowing the winning side to also select the pitch the match is played on. A lot of grounds in the World have more than one pitch on the field, and they aren't always the same, and I believe the winner of the toss should be able to pick the pitch the match is played on.

Thoughts?
No affence but why would add anything to the toss.

andmark

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
Why would anyone want to make the toss more crucial. The toss of a coin should ideally have as minimal an impact as possible in any sport.

It does.Good weather to bat you bat, next day bowlers pitch and your still batting its just unfortanate.