• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Characters in Cricket

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Shane Warne. No other current player (bar a few) would have the balls to mess around and send down a load of left armed deliverys and fast ones, in a championship match.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Shane Warne. No other current player (bar a few) would have the balls to mess around and send down a load of left armed deliverys and fast ones, in a championship match.
Anyone could do that in a County Championship match as there would be no spectators.:happy:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Kids wanted to be Ganguly and crowds flocked to catch a glimpse of his pet duck.

Shoot I should make a poll about this: What was more infamous, Ganguly or his ducks?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
silentstriker said:
No one filled the stands like Tendulkar.
Bradman?

When word went around that he was 'in' the ground would fill up. As soon as he was dismissed the ground would empty again :-O

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
Bradman?

When word went around that he was 'in' the ground would fill up. As soon as he was dismissed the ground would empty again :-O
I've heard exactly the same thing about Shahid Afridi. I'm not trying to talk him up or anything because I'm not really a fan but on the cricket pitch he is definately a character. Another couple I just thought about;

WG Grace
Vic Trumper
Adam Gilchrist

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
He didn't, that was Chris Benham who did that, Warne just pretended to be Allan Donald or bowl giant loopy pies

archie mac

International Coach
I don't know if to many of you will remember this (or were even born) but in a Test that was headed for a certain draw, Goochy was bowling and doing impressions of bowlers at the time, his Rodney Hogg was 10 out of 10:D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
For NZ, Mark Rigor RIchardson and Chris Harris spring to mind as the most recent examples.

Xuhaib

International Coach
archie mac said:
I don't know if to many of you will remember this (or were even born) but in a Test that was headed for a certain draw, Goochy was bowling and doing impressions of bowlers at the time, his Rodney Hogg was 10 out of 10:D
Mushy also did it once in a test match was very funny especially his impersonation of Muddasar Nazar.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Bradman?

He is undoubtedly the greatest batsman ever and people wanted to see him play, but whether this makes him a great character is open to debate. He appears to have been a fairly shy man by nature.

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
He is undoubtedly the greatest batsman ever and people wanted to see him play, but whether this makes him a great character is open to debate. He appears to have been a fairly shy man by nature.
Yes no doubt, instead I may nominate Chuck Fleetwood-Smith, now there was a character
:D

aussie tragic

International Captain
I tried to come up with an Aussie Character XI, however I need a # 4 (I thought of AB, but don’t really rate him as a character unless being grumpy counts):

1. David Boon
2. Victor Trumper
3. Ian Chappell
5. Doug Walters
6. Keith Miller
7. Rod Marsh
8. Shane Warne
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Max Walker
11. Merv Hughes

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
I tried to come up with an Aussie Character XI, however I need a # 4 (I thought of AB, but don’t really rate him as a character unless being grumpy counts):

1. David Boon
2. Victor Trumper
3. Ian Chappell
5. Doug Walters
6. Keith Miller
7. Rod Marsh
8. Shane Warne
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Max Walker
11. Merv Hughes
Drop Boony to No. 4 and open with Sid Barnes the only player to be left out of the Aussie team 'For reasons other then cricketing ability'