• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boycott calls for Fletcher to go

open365

International Vice-Captain
I agree tbh, it's all go to cosy for the coaches to see and make neccessary changes to improve the side.

I would wait till after the ashes though, sacking him now is too risky.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I read what he had to say in the Telegraph, made a lot of sense, but as open365 says, the last thing we need is disarray going into the Ashes. I think he'll go after the World Cup anyway, and let's be honest, no new coach will be able to salvage anything from our OD side in time for the WC anyway, so he might as well go after that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not going to happen so mute point, and whilst I'm not exactly a Boycott fan:

"If I were playing for England and the team sheet went up and Yardy was batting in front of me, there would be hell to pay. I wouldn't let it happen. How do you think it makes other batsmen in the team feel? What sort of message does that send out if a left-arm spinner who bats a bit goes in ahead of you?"
LOL! So true.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
He's starting to sound like those ex-Pakistani cricketers who like to throw their worthless 2 cents in before the start of every major tour.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boycott has never liked Fletcher and had always looked to critisize him whenever possible despite the excellent job he has done for the test side. Having said that the one day team clearly needs some new direction. I think Flectcher will move on after the world cup.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see Fletcher continuing on after the World Cup, he has done a good job but it will be time for him to step down after that. I agree with Boycott on a few points, especially about Michael Yardy batting at #4 in ODI's, its ridiculous.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Boycott is Boycott and I love him for it. I would be surpised if he didn't come out with some outlandish statement, 4 weeks before the first Ashes Test. But that's just him so...

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Not going to happen so mute point, and whilst I'm not exactly a Boycott fan:

LOL! So true.
i think the comments on yardy are a tad foolish. Whilst Collingwood should be batting higher than he is at the moment i dont understand what the fuss is about Yardy batting up the order. Looking at his FC record hes averaging in the 50s in his last 2 seasons while batting at 3, so hes certainly better than being just a part time batsman/left arm spinner that hes being made out to be even if his list A record isnt very impressive.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
when one gets old they tend to talk a lot of crap, this is a perfect example..
What is wrong about that? Fletcher needs to be go ASAP in ODIs IMO, the side at the moment is in absolute disarray and it is completely fletcher and the selectors fault. His strategy of picking players on FC performances and the constant selection of Mahmood, Plunkett and Harmison only emphasise how hes never been the right man for the ODI coach. Id much rather have someone like Adam Hollioake in charge of the ODI side. As far as tests are concerned, he shouldnt be given any more time after the Ashes IMO. We've already seen how his plan of sweeping spinners as much as possible has cost England in the subcontinent and by and large his other ideas which have been somewhat impressive in the past are now clearly starting to get a bit old.

Slow Love™

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
He's starting to sound like those ex-Pakistani cricketers who like to throw their worthless 2 cents in before the start of every major tour.
True, and it's starting to happen here, too. Still, he's better value than say, Thommo or Kim Hughes.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
What is wrong about that? Fletcher needs to be go ASAP in ODIs IMO, the side at the moment is in absolute disarray and it is completely fletcher and the selectors fault. His strategy of picking players on FC performances and the constant selection of Mahmood, Plunkett and Harmison only emphasise how hes never been the right man for the ODI coach. Id much rather have someone like Adam Hollioake in charge of the ODI side. As far as tests are concerned, he shouldnt be given any more time after the Ashes IMO. We've already seen how his plan of sweeping spinners as much as possible has cost England in the subcontinent and by and large his other ideas which have been somewhat impressive in the past are now clearly starting to get a bit old.
I agree :blink:

doesn't happen much that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
Looking at his FC record hes averaging in the 50s in his last 2 seasons while batting at 3, so hes certainly better than being just a part time batsman/left arm spinner that hes being made out to be even if his list A record isnt very impressive.
tooextracool said:
His strategy of picking players on FC performances and the constant selection of Mahmood, Plunkett and Harmison only emphasise how hes never been the right man for the ODI coach.
Never seen a man contradict himself within 6 minutes of his original statement.

Dravid

International Captain
I believe it was the wrong time. After looking at last years Ashes, I would've waited until after this years Ashes to make such a move.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I am usually a fan of "Sir Geoffery" but this isn't the time to say this - not during the pre-Ashes "phoney war". The Aussie press will love this!! Leave that stuff to the old Aussie players - I hear DK Lillee is worried about the age of the Aussie team. PS - I'm surprised GB is saying that because our one-day team is crap because in his autobiography he wrote that when he played his priority was the CC and Test cricket not LO. PPS - I wonder who he'd have coaching England - a Yorkshireman with 151 FC hundreds by any chance?

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Never seen a man contradict himself within 6 minutes of his original statement.
You really need to read the context in which that statement was made. Anyone whos scoring centuries and averaging in the 50s in FC cricket deserves to be considered more than just a 'part time batsman' or 'bits and pieces' player that hes made out to be. He might not be a very good ODI player, but to say that he doesnt deserve a chance to bat up the order in ODIs is going too far.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
totally disagree yo, yes the coach should take some blame for defeats but the majority of England's woeful ODI performances since he has been incharge has been down to the lack of quality ODI players around. The selections of Mahmood, Plunkett & Harmison as you mentioned for example are not horrible selections, Harmison definately has the ability to be a good ODI bowler, if he can bowl like how he bowled @ Bristol last year he certainly would i can't explain why he has been so poor. Mahmood initially was very poor but its obvious he has great ability and i applaude Fletcher for sticking with him he certainly can be a good ODI bowler he has pace to get wickets & of recent has developed some variation in his bowling. Plunkett has been disappointing since his debut in Pakistan but he is young maybe he will come good.

Has i keep saying once England are full-stenght they have a very strong ODI team, but unlike other major teams they don't have quality depth i.e if Flintoff, KP, Trescothick go if severly hurts England and the side becomes average at best.