Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boycott calls for Fletcher to go

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Looking at his FC record hes averaging in the 50s in his last 2 seasons while batting at 3, so hes certainly better than being just a part time batsman/left arm spinner that hes being made out to be even if his list A record isnt very impressive.
    His strategy of picking players on FC performances and the constant selection of Mahmood, Plunkett and Harmison only emphasise how hes never been the right man for the ODI coach.
    Never seen a man contradict himself within 6 minutes of his original statement.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I believe it was the wrong time. After looking at last years Ashes, I would've waited until after this years Ashes to make such a move.

I am usually a fan of "Sir Geoffery" but this isn't the time to say this - not during the pre-Ashes "phoney war". The Aussie press will love this!! Leave that stuff to the old Aussie players - I hear DK Lillee is worried about the age of the Aussie team. PS - I'm surprised GB is saying that because our one-day team is crap because in his autobiography he wrote that when he played his priority was the CC and Test cricket not LO. PPS - I wonder who he'd have coaching England - a Yorkshireman with 151 FC hundreds by any chance?
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Never seen a man contradict himself within 6 minutes of his original statement.
    You really need to read the context in which that statement was made. Anyone whos scoring centuries and averaging in the 50s in FC cricket deserves to be considered more than just a 'part time batsman' or 'bits and pieces' player that hes made out to be. He might not be a very good ODI player, but to say that he doesnt deserve a chance to bat up the order in ODIs is going too far.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

What is wrong about that? Fletcher needs to be go ASAP in ODIs IMO, the side at the moment is in absolute disarray and it is completely fletcher and the selectors fault. His strategy of picking players on FC performances and the constant selection of Mahmood, Plunkett and Harmison only emphasise how hes never been the right man for the ODI coach. Id much rather have someone like Adam Hollioake in charge of the ODI side. As far as tests are concerned, he shouldnt be given any more time after the Ashes IMO. We've already seen how his plan of sweeping spinners as much as possible has cost England in the subcontinent and by and large his other ideas which have been somewhat impressive in the past are now clearly starting to get a bit old.
    totally disagree yo, yes the coach should take some blame for defeats but the majority of England's woeful ODI performances since he has been incharge has been down to the lack of quality ODI players around. The selections of Mahmood, Plunkett & Harmison as you mentioned for example are not horrible selections, Harmison definately has the ability to be a good ODI bowler, if he can bowl like how he bowled @ Bristol last year he certainly would i can't explain why he has been so poor. Mahmood initially was very poor but its obvious he has great ability and i applaude Fletcher for sticking with him he certainly can be a good ODI bowler he has pace to get wickets & of recent has developed some variation in his bowling. Plunkett has been disappointing since his debut in Pakistan but he is young maybe he will come good.

Has i keep saying once England are full-stenght they have a very strong ODI team, but unlike other major teams they don't have quality depth i.e if Flintoff, KP, Trescothick go if severly hurts England and the side becomes average at best.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    totally disagree yo, yes the coach should take some blame for defeats but the majority of England's woeful ODI performances since he has been incharge has been down to the lack of quality ODI players around.
    There had been plenty of them around in the late 90s and early 2000s. Any side with the likes of Craig White, Andrew Caddick, Darren Gough, Alec Stewart, Nick Knight, Marcus Trescothick, Graeme Hick, Angus Fraser, Mark Ealham, Alan Mullally and certain others should have been amongst the top 4 in the world instead of the bottom 4. Also if you go back into a few years and see how most of those players played instead of Vince Wells and Mark Alleyne, youd see exactly what im talking about.

The selections of Mahmood, Plunkett & Harmison as you mentioned for example are not horrible selections,.
    because of course Mahmood and Plunkett's List A and ODI record make for such brilliant reading? Mahmood, Plunkett, Kabir Ali, and Tim Bresnan are bad enough selections on their own, but when you consider that they were selected over players like Jon Lewis, Martin Saggers, Glenn Chapple and the like it really says a fair bit.

Harmison definately has the ability to be a good ODI bowler, if he can bowl like how he bowled @ Bristol last year he certainly would i can't explain why he has been so poor. Mahmood initially was very poor but its obvious he has great ability and i applaude Fletcher for sticking with him he certainly can be a good ODI bowler he has pace to get wickets & of recent has developed some variation in his bowling. Plunkett has been disappointing since his debut in Pakistan but he is young maybe he will come good.
    Certainly its quite stupid to say something like 'he is young and will come good'. Why not pick any random 20 year old to represent England then? They would all be young and come good then right?
    Mahmood cant bowl 2 balls on the same spot, to say that hes showing signs of being a good ODI bowler is extremely ignorant to be honest. ODI cricket is all about accuracy. If you cant be accurate, no matter how many variations you have, you are absolute trash.

Has i keep saying once England are full-stenght they have a very strong ODI team, but unlike other major teams they don't have quality depth i.e if Flintoff, KP, Trescothick go if severly hurts England and the side becomes average at best.
    What is this full strength side then? Is it the one with Vaughan averaging 21? or the one with Simon Jones whos played almost as many ODIs as hes played list A games. England most certainly dont have a strong team, they havent had one since the last world cup, they've been trashed in almost every ODI competition theyve played in since, and just because they miraculously did well against a rusty Australia side last year, doesnt mean they are actually any good.

TEC v Aussie

6-0 6-0 6-0 game set and match
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information