• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To Indian Fans: Which would you rather have?

Indian fans - which would you rather have?

• #1 Test team (series wins everywhere) but the worst ODI team

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • #1 ODI team (including WC wins) but the worst Test team

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • An average team in both forms of the game

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nishant

International 12th Man
This is a good poll, SS!

Its quite tough to make a decision! As an indian fan i would want india to be the best at something rather than be average at everything! On the other team, to be the worst team at something is also quite degrading! As the WC is quite important to me, id go for best ODI team!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Yeah but that's the thing isn't it, India have already won a WC, and whilst it'd be awesome, it wouldn't even be close to winning a test series all over the world. That's just something not even a WC can be compared to.

Beating Aus in Aus would be one thing, but doing that along with everywhere else is far better than a WC win, wouldn't you say?
Well one has got to be realistic as well. We have as much chance of winning the WC as any other team, but beating everyone in their own backyard at the same time is literally impossible, something even the great teams couldn't do.

It took 10 years for the greatt Aussie team to beat India in India and after all that glory they lost the Ashes. :laugh:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
A test team anyday. Being an occasional India watcher, I can say that people remember great Test sides, but don't tend to remember great One Day sides.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
A test team anyday. Being an occasional India watcher, I can say that people remember great Test sides, but don't tend to remember great One Day sides.
Erm - Every Indian I know remembers WC' 83 squad. But same cant be said about the squad that won 86 series in England or 71 series in WI, Eng or even the Squad that beat Aus in the famous 2000-01 series.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'll rephrase that. I meant to say that great test teams are in general better remembered than great One Day teams. If asked to think of a great side, you would usually think of the 80s WI team, or the 40s Aus team, rather than the '83 India team.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually we remember great teams and great players, regardless of the form of cricket they play. People do remember Cronje's team of 90s, WI ODI team under Lloyd etc.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Erm - Every Indian I know remembers WC' 83 squad. But same cant be said about the squad that won 86 series in England or 71 series in WI, Eng or even the Squad that beat Aus in the famous 2000-01 series.
ha, very strange that, i would have surely thought Indian fans would have remembered the side that beat Australia in 2001.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
ha, very strange that, i would have surely thought Indian fans would have remembered the side that beat Australia in 2001.

Nope, '83 easily.

Its not even close. No test in history of Indian cricket comes even close, in terms of popular imagination, than Kapil Dev and his running catch to dismiss Sir Viv, and bowling them out to win the final.

Me, personally, would rate that series, and a bunch of others, much higher. But in terms of most people, this is just not the case.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone know of any online video footage of the 1983 world cup win, I've been searching everywhere and did find the ending ceremony on youtube but I was hoping for some actual footage of the game itself. Thanks!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:

The reason nothing comes close to 1983

Indian cricket had a fair bit of success even before the 1983 world cup. India won consecutive test tours in West Indies and England and the Indian team was greated with streets full of people when Wadekar's team returned unlikely heroes. Even before 1971, Indian cricket occupied national concsiousness. CK Nayudu was a hero and his aggressive attractive style drew crowds. In fact Dungarpur, who claims to have watched every Indian test cricketer, claims there was no one like CK, not even Tendulkar came close in drawing crowds. While that maybe an exaggeration, it embodies how cricket was always in the national realm, though so was hockey with varying popularity for the two sports.

1983 shooted up cricket's popularity in India like nothing else has ever done in history and probably nothing else will probbaly do. India, a nation which was coming to terms with the modern world, could hold it's head high and the common Indian on the street could feel proud to be an Indian. Heroes and great sporting achievements do that to developing nations. The West Indians will tell you how the great wins on the 70s and 80s filled them with so much pride for instance. In India, every one started following cricket and even modern day stars who hadn't taken up cricket that seriously started looking at the sport differently. Tendulkar for example, a die hard McEnroe fan and as much into tennis as cricket till that point, says 83 was the turning point for him when he took to pursuing cricket seriously.

1983 victory also brought the 1987 world cup to India (and Pakistan) which fuelled further growth of cricket in the country. The of course, we had 1996 and onwards when one day cricket became a big cash cow. Would all this have really happened had India not won in 1983? Maybe but it could well have been delayed 20 years or so. If we look at it from the financial perspective, from the perspective of the fans, players or perspective on Indian cricket history, nothing compares to 1983.

Last edited:

Nishant

International 12th Man
aussie said:

I remember that more than the world cup win in '83. But that because i was actually alive in 2001!:laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am shocked that there are nine votes for ODI or average teams. I know that most Indian fans would prefer this, but I had assumed that the fans on here would be much more likely to pick winning test series all over the world and being the best there.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
I've picked an average team in both forms of the game.Both forms are important but if I had to pick one then I would pick Test.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I am shocked that there are nine votes for ODI or average teams. I know that most Indian fans would prefer this, but I had assumed that the fans on here would be much more likely to pick winning test series all over the world and being the best there.

Dravid said:
I would actually prefer having an average team in both forms, but if I HAD to pick one, then I would pick a greater test team. Test Cricket was the original game and is more difficult than the one day version of the game imo. I'm not sure how many Indian fans (even those outside Cricket Web) would actually want a greater Test team than ODI team cause most of them care more about the ODIs than the Test
Guess I was wrong

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Indian fans care about the ODI game obviously, the WC is my favourite cricket event other than a test series vs. Australia. Its just that people on this forum, who most can be classified as cricket nuts, and often purists, would rather test dominance then ODI dominance, even if it does involve a WC victory.

luffy

International Captain
Even though i am not Indian i would prefer India to have a better Test Team as they have a better history in Tests not ODI's