Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: England oneday matches?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    110

    England oneday matches?

    why do england play fewer ODIS then other teams? i think that is one of the main reasons their struggling in oneday games these days

  2. #2
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    The management (rightly so) believe that Tests are more important than ODIs, so they arrange less of them to play. I think.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    110
    yes but during the world cup season they should try to play more and more to get more practice

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai194
    why do england play fewer ODIS then other teams? i think that is one of the main reasons their struggling in oneday games these days
    I think it's the other way round.


  5. #5
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,761
    Michael Vaughan says that at the end of a long tour when you see a best of 7 matches before you you're just counting down until you come home. Not quite the "we shall fight them on the beaches" attitude of previous Leaders.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Duncan Fletcher beleives that test's are more important than ODI's and I would agree with him, but with the World Cup coming up I think it would've been better for England if they played a more varied opposition rather than 5 ODI's against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, 7 against India etc. They should have 3 game series and then occasionally on a big tour it should be a 5 game series.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  7. #7
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,761
    The overkill of One-Day cricket is purely to make money. The World Series in Australia where three teams played each other 4 or 5 times just to illiminate one team is a complete nonsense, but it makes money.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm
    Duncan Fletcher beleives that test's are more important than ODI's and I would agree with him, but with the World Cup coming up I think it would've been better for England if they played a more varied opposition rather than 5 ODI's against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, 7 against India etc. They should have 3 game series and then occasionally on a big tour it should be a 5 game series.
    They should've toured West Indies!

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    They should've toured West Indies!
    We drew there. Then we lost at home. Then we lost the CT final. We can't beat them either. We can't beat anyone.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  10. #10
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    We drew there. Then we lost at home. Then we lost the CT final. We can't beat them either. We can't beat anyone.
    East devon U11s looking for a pre season warm-up game by any chance?

  11. #11
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kingsdale
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson
    The overkill of One-Day cricket is purely to make money. The World Series in Australia where three teams played each other 4 or 5 times just to illiminate one team is a complete nonsense, but it makes money.
    You've got to hand it over to the Australians. People go on about how the BCCI is interested in milking ODI cricket for money, but look at CA. On an average, India host two 5 match ODI series per year against 2 visiting nations. CA on the other hand, force one of the touring teams to wait it out while a second plays their test series in Australia, and then participate in their tri series. Not only do Australia get their quota of 10-11 ODIs for the home season, but they also get the other two teams to play out a further 4 ODIs annually over there. Its a wonder the other nations put up with it.

  12. #12
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    This whole 'Test cricket is the real cricket' argument is so outdated it's not funny anymore.

    Let's face it, to all the other teams. ODI cricket is as least as important, if not more important, as Test cricket. Even Australia puts the ODI world cup on an equal footing with the Ashes or the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

    It's only England which continues to ignore ODI cricket, and it shows in their results.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    East devon U11s looking for a pre season warm-up game by any chance?
    We have our pre-season plans sorted.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    This whole 'Test cricket is the real cricket' argument is so outdated it's not funny anymore.

    Let's face it, to all the other teams. ODI cricket is as least as important, if not more important, as Test cricket. Even Australia puts the ODI world cup on an equal footing with the Ashes or the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

    It's only England which continues to ignore ODI cricket, and it shows in their results.
    You are being pretty harsh on Test cricket, I still think the majority of Australian fans would rather see their team win the Ashes or the Border-Gavaskar Trophy rather than the World Cup. One reason they put the World Cup on "equal footing" with the Ashes and Border-Gavaskar Trophy is that teams are becoming more competitive in ODI's, in 2007 there are a number of teams who could win it. But in the Ashes Australia's dominance has made the contest less exciting and perhaps less important in the eyes of some. If you asked the Australian cricketers right now what they would rather do, regain the Ashes or win the World Cup I am sure that the majority, if not all of them would prefer to regain the urn.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    At full strenght England ODI side can be very competitive as they showed vs Australia last year, but unlike some other teams notably AUS, SA, PAK they do not have that strenght in depth i.e if England lose Flintoff, KP, Trescothick for any period the ODI side becomes very ordinary. So for me thats the problem not enough quality ODI players coming through.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can you take a hat-trick over two matches?
    By Burpey in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 01:00 PM
  2. Best ODI and Test matches you've seen
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
  3. Most matches per international stint
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17-12-2005, 07:54 PM
  4. World Xi - 2026
    By bumpuss in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 07:09 AM
  5. Historic Matches
    By Jamee999 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •