• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England oneday matches?

dubai194

Banned
why do england play fewer ODIS then other teams? i think that is one of the main reasons their struggling in oneday games these days :wub:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The management (rightly so) believe that Tests are more important than ODIs, so they arrange less of them to play. I think.

open365

International Vice-Captain
dubai194 said:
why do england play fewer ODIS then other teams? i think that is one of the main reasons their struggling in oneday games these days :wub:
I think it's the other way round.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Vaughan says that at the end of a long tour when you see a best of 7 matches before you you're just counting down until you come home. Not quite the "we shall fight them on the beaches" attitude of previous Leaders.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Duncan Fletcher beleives that test's are more important than ODI's and I would agree with him, but with the World Cup coming up I think it would've been better for England if they played a more varied opposition rather than 5 ODI's against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, 7 against India etc. They should have 3 game series and then occasionally on a big tour it should be a 5 game series.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The overkill of One-Day cricket is purely to make money. The World Series in Australia where three teams played each other 4 or 5 times just to illiminate one team is a complete nonsense, but it makes money.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
Duncan Fletcher beleives that test's are more important than ODI's and I would agree with him, but with the World Cup coming up I think it would've been better for England if they played a more varied opposition rather than 5 ODI's against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, 7 against India etc. They should have 3 game series and then occasionally on a big tour it should be a 5 game series.
They should've toured West Indies!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
We drew there. Then we lost at home. Then we lost the CT final. We can't beat them either. We can't beat anyone.
East devon U11s looking for a pre season warm-up game by any chance?

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
The overkill of One-Day cricket is purely to make money. The World Series in Australia where three teams played each other 4 or 5 times just to illiminate one team is a complete nonsense, but it makes money.
You've got to hand it over to the Australians. People go on about how the BCCI is interested in milking ODI cricket for money, but look at CA. On an average, India host two 5 match ODI series per year against 2 visiting nations. CA on the other hand, force one of the touring teams to wait it out while a second plays their test series in Australia, and then participate in their tri series. Not only do Australia get their quota of 10-11 ODIs for the home season, but they also get the other two teams to play out a further 4 ODIs annually over there. :laugh: Its a wonder the other nations put up with it.

Steulen

International Regular
This whole 'Test cricket is the real cricket' argument is so outdated it's not funny anymore.

Let's face it, to all the other teams. ODI cricket is as least as important, if not more important, as Test cricket. Even Australia puts the ODI world cup on an equal footing with the Ashes or the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

It's only England which continues to ignore ODI cricket, and it shows in their results.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steulen said:
This whole 'Test cricket is the real cricket' argument is so outdated it's not funny anymore.

Let's face it, to all the other teams. ODI cricket is as least as important, if not more important, as Test cricket. Even Australia puts the ODI world cup on an equal footing with the Ashes or the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

It's only England which continues to ignore ODI cricket, and it shows in their results.
You are being pretty harsh on Test cricket, I still think the majority of Australian fans would rather see their team win the Ashes or the Border-Gavaskar Trophy rather than the World Cup. One reason they put the World Cup on "equal footing" with the Ashes and Border-Gavaskar Trophy is that teams are becoming more competitive in ODI's, in 2007 there are a number of teams who could win it. But in the Ashes Australia's dominance has made the contest less exciting and perhaps less important in the eyes of some. If you asked the Australian cricketers right now what they would rather do, regain the Ashes or win the World Cup I am sure that the majority, if not all of them would prefer to regain the urn.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
At full strenght England ODI side can be very competitive as they showed vs Australia last year, but unlike some other teams notably AUS, SA, PAK they do not have that strenght in depth i.e if England lose Flintoff, KP, Trescothick for any period the ODI side becomes very ordinary. So for me thats the problem not enough quality ODI players coming through.

tooextracool

International Coach
Im sick and tired of people overrating pietersen. The guy can barely buy a run in either form of the game, yet not only is he put down as a certainity but hes also worshipped as though hes amongst the top 5 players in the world.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
Im sick and tired of people overrating pietersen. The guy can barely buy a run in either form of the game, yet not only is he put down as a certainity but hes also worshipped as though hes amongst the top 5 players in the world.
Lol, fair 2 line rant. Enjoyed that.

Anyway I reckon its because they're no good at it. This whole "Tests > ODIs" stuff doesn't fly because its obvious, and its the same with Australia, yet Australia play their own fair share of ODIs, and win them as well.

tooextracool

International Coach
andmark said:
Its probably because of the ashes:lamo:
except if anyone of those catches had been taken at the oval, Pietersen would have been dropped not long after, England would never have won the Ashes and the selection of Pietersen over Thorpe would be considered a disaster(much like it should be). When your whole career revolves around 1 innings that involved 3 dropped chances, things arent really going very well for you to be honest.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, as Jono said, Australian fans rate tests above ODIs as well. Doesn't necessarily mean we'd rather beat the West Indies than win the World Cup, but in general people care far more about test cricket. Regardless, we still play the format and compete well in it. I expect if England were the second best ODI side in the world too there'd be far more interest in the format, both from the administrators and the fans.