• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
As others have said, Hussey has opened in tests. Actually, he's opened in nearly 40% of his innings in test cricket. His average opening is 57.83 as compared to 91.75 at 5 and 58 at 6.
So I now see, had forgotten Langer's injury - but I still don't see why he's been put in there as an opener - should've been in as a middle order player for sure, as that's where he's been such a success.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
So I now see, had forgotten Langer's injury - but I still don't see why he's been put in there as an opener - should've been in as a middle order player for sure, as that's where he's been such a success.
57.8 is a lot better than any other opener around tho...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surprised Bell got emerging player to be honest...he's been up and down somewhat in the time period...woeful Ashes...good against Pakistan...mediocre against India...dropped against Sri Lanka...brilliant against Pakistan. Thought Cook did better tbh. Though Bell's emergence as a rather good ODi player probably tips it for me anyway, actually.

Nice to see us with three nominated in that category anyway, the future is bright.

Can't disagree with too much else, Ponting has been fantastic, as has Hussey. I think they were my choices actually.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well yeah, but he has a century and an 80 odd opening I believe, and it was a pretty good 80 odd in the fourth innings on a tricky pitch too. He's certainly been better at 5 and scored two absolutely amazing centuries there in the home summer as well as that easier one in Bangladesh, but if there wasn't a place for him in the middle order I don't see the problem with him opening.

Nobody else has exactly demanded an opening spot, after all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You're right about that, there seems to be a shortage of quality openers around at the moment.

I can't really think of any other contenders.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it odd how England managed to win the Spirit of Cricket award, I mean what did they do that was better than New Zealand or Sri Lanka?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff consoling Brett Lee was in the time period, then again so was Gary Pratt running out Ricky Ponting :D