• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So i was watching a srilanka match recently...

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
..and i noticed vaas bowling slower then anything ive ever seen before. He ran a long was, had the same action, but the ball just wouldnt go fast. The keeper would come forward right next to the wicket when vaas bowled. :laugh:

am i missing somethign here? did he just have some fitness problems or what. :mellow:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, he does seem to have lost some of the bite that he used to have. Hes still exceptionally accurate though, right up there with guys like McGrath and Pollock IMO. I don't think Sri Lanka is particularly missing him though, what with young pace bowlers on the rise. Malinga in particular has probably taken over the role of the strike bowler for Sri Lanka.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I noticed this aswell, and during the series against England he didn't seem to be bowling very quick. I'd say it's because he's getting older and he is now concentrating on accuracy and swinging the ball instead of trying to get that extra yard of pace.

Perm

Maybe not the best, but a very good one. Definitely right up there in the top 10 I would say.

Perm

Do Wasim Akram and Joel Garner ring any bells? They were pretty handy ODI bowlers and I'd rate both of them ahead of Vaas.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
Do Wasim Akram and Joel Garner ring any bells? They were pretty handy ODI bowlers and I'd rate both of them ahead of Vaas.
lol you actually thought i was serious, Garner probably the best ever One Day bowler, behind Murali IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Vaas will always be the best One Day bowler of all time regardless of his pace.
Agreed. It's all part of the Master's plans ahead of the World Cup. Really express pace is SO 2003.

65mph is the new 95mph. You heard it first from Chaminda!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
In List - A matches, a slower, more accurate bowler (Pollock and Vaas), can be the hardest to get away, when there is no pace on the ball. They would be an ideal opening partnerdship as far as bowling goes.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Phoenixfire - pardon my ignorance but List A = district, i.e. level below First Class, yeah?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nah, List A is one-day cricket between FC teams. There's probably a more precise definition but that serves well enough.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thanks, hadn't come across the term before. I've always seen "domestic limited overs" or similar.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PhoenixFire said:
In List - A matches, a slower, more accurate bowler (Pollock and Vaas), can be the hardest to get away, when there is no pace on the ball. They would be an ideal opening partnerdship as far as bowling goes.
Disagree. The batsmen would be able to premeditate and improvise too easily. A bowler like Pollock works most effectively with a different style of bowler at the other end. A bowler like Vaas works most effectively with conditions assisting swing.

bagapath

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
sorry mate. but this is theoretical nonsense. pollock and vaas got most of their wickets when their pace was above 80 mph. all successful one-day powlers - akram, garner, donald, mcgrath, younis - were either great pace bowlers or genuine spinners like saqlain, murali and warne. line and length bowling is good for club cricket. above that level, you either need great pace or ability to swing to get good batters out. accuracy alone can get you nothing.

tooextracool

International Coach
bagapath said:
sorry mate. but this is theoretical nonsense. pollock and vaas got most of their wickets when their pace was above 80 mph. all successful one-day powlers - akram, garner, donald, mcgrath, younis - were either great pace bowlers or genuine spinners like saqlain, murali and warne. line and length bowling is good for club cricket. above that level, you either need great pace or ability to swing to get good batters out. accuracy alone can get you nothing.
Except that Vaas is a swing bowler?
P.S if accuracy alone didnt get you anything Gavin Larsen and Mark Ealham wouldnt have played anywhere near as many games as they ended up doing.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
bagapath said:

That is a load of rubbish I'm afraid. Vaas has recorded some great economy and strike rates in recent matches. He bowled great against SA, and his pace was 70mph - 75mph. He bowled rubbish in the earlier matches because he was trying to bowl too fast. Line and length bowlers can be very effective in List A matches, as pressure is a killer. Ask any top class batter, and they will say they would prefer to face Brett Lee or Shoaib, when they're all over the place, rather than Vaas or Pollock, when they're spot on.

bagapath

International Captain
tooextracool said:
Except that Vaas is a swing bowler?
P.S if accuracy alone didnt get you anything Gavin Larsen and Mark Ealham wouldnt have played anywhere near as many games as they ended up doing.
larsen and ealham played in a lot of matches. but garner, donald, akram and younis achieved more success. that is because, besides accuracy, they possessed good pace and ability to swing the ball both ways. that is my point.

tooextracool

International Coach
bagapath said:
larsen and ealham played in a lot of matches. but garner, donald, akram and younis achieved more success. that is because, besides accuracy, they possessed good pace and ability to swing the ball both ways. that is my point.
Umm yes, but no one is claiming that Larsen and Ealham were the all time greatest ODI bowlers. Certainly bowlers that can bowl fast and keep it tight are better bowlers than the ones that can only do one of those, but it doesnt change the fact that you can have a very successful career just by bowling in the right places in ODIs.