• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Upcomming Speedster??

Who do u think is the best?? My vote would go to Khan, he's probably one of the best left armer currently

----------------------------------------------

[Edited on 26/10/2002 by TendulkarMark2]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which Fernando is that?

How did you define "upcoming"? I reckon Bond is past that stage, and if he isn't, I'd say Hoggard would be in there?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its C.R.D Fernando from Sri Lanka, but in my opinion he is also past an up & coming speedster as he has played alot of ODI's for Sri Lanka. Although currently South Africa 'A' are taking him to the cleaners.

As for Hoggard, I guess we need to set-out the cut off for the speedsters..around 145 k's? Hoggard reaches 135-140 doesn't he?

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's funny that in all of the "up and coming" polls no Australian players really feature to heavily - maybe a sign that in 5 years we might be a bit stretched for talent?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lets take a look at ODI figures for these bowlers, to be fair to Jones & Harmison they have not played an ODI yet, so we will include Hoggard this time around perhaps along with Sami from Pakistan & Ntini from South Africa.

Dilhara Fernando: (S.L)
Matches: 34
Wickets: 50
Avg: 24.12
S.R: 29
Econ: 4.98

--Not as bad as I thought, although his econ is still quite high, but he's actually not that bad.

Makhaya Ntini: (R.S.A)
Matches: 53
Wickets: 72
Avg: 25.84
S.R: 36.6
Econ: 4.23

--Ntini has been a far better ODI than test bowler for South Africa. he's got a good average and his econ is very good for an opening bowler who looks to take wickets. Not really a new-comer, but you could say late-starter who is starting to develop.

Shane Bond: (NZ)
Matches: 15
Wickets: 29
Avg: 19.68
S.R: 25.3
Econ: 4.66

--Bond has had an outstanding start to his international career as the stats tell all. He can be forgiven for quite a high econ as he's doing the job by taking the wickets which is all that matters.

Matthew Hoggard: (Eng)
Matches: 18
Wickets: 27
Avg: 27.62
S.R: 33.7
Econ: 4.91

--A pretty good start to his career although his econ is quite high, Hoggard should get better but he's probably not as quick as the others mentioned.

Mohammad Sami: (Pak)
Matches: 13
Wickets: 15
Avg: 32.66
S.R: 40.5
Econ: 4.83

--There's no doubt that Sami has talent but Pakistan have never really let the poor guy settle and as a result his performances to date have been very in-consistent. If handled properly he could have been a bigger threat than he has been so far.

Zaheer Khan: (Ind)
Matches: 49
Wickets: 76
Avg: 26.60
S.R: 33.1
Econ: 4.81

--Khan is a player who has actually been around for quite awhile although you'd think he'd just arrived on the scene after several good performances. A good strike-rate although his econ is still quite high.

Ending it looks as though Fernando, Ntini & Bond have the best records so far.
I guess you just have to decide how many matches a bowler can play before he's out of the new-comer range, IMO it should be 25 or less.

So at the moment Bond leads the charge for the new-comers however Fernando & Ntini are probably the best quicks who have graduated from new-comers to settled bowlers in their respective countries.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is Sean, is that we have hardly seen any of Australia's up & coming quicks. Its just been the usual Bichel, Lee, McGrath & Gillespie.

I know there's Noffke, Bracken etc..but they've only played a handful of ODI's so they're relatively unproven at this stage. Its not suggesting that you'll be stretched for quicks, its just that your selectors have decided to stick with the tried & trusted at the moment.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Has anybody seen Jamaican Jermaine Lawson in his debut against India, I didn't, what is he like because he reportedly bowled at 92+ mph in the last Indian test and bowled with good control...Can anyone condirm this??

If this is true then another Jamaican, Darren Powell who is reputed to be quicker the Lawson might be as fast as Hayward is...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw Darren Powell when he played NZ & he reached 145-148 which is pretty good and he'll get better.
It's interesting that on cricinfo they only called Lawson a RM so maybe he's not that quick.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Lawson was bowling in between 140 and 145 kmph in 1st test same as Jones and Harmison. But it will increase by atleast 2 when he plays in AUS and SAF as the wickets are fast and no where hot as it was in Chennai

Originally posted by sean
It's funny that in all of the "up and coming" polls no Australian players really feature to heavily - maybe a sign that in 5 years we might be a bit stretched for talent? [/quote

And which Aussie youngster do you think can qualify ?? Bracken/Bichel have hardly played at test level, Watson plays in onedayers only.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And which Aussie youngster do you think can qualify ?? Bracken/Bichel have hardly played at test level, Watson plays in onedayers only.
Lack of appearances hasn't stopped you putting in Harmison and Jones.

Kimbo

International Debutant
coming... there is only one m in coming.
jeez...
:bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog::bird::frog:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer best left armer in cricket today? Please no one do the whole Wasim is over the hill on me as he is still an effective bowler and can be very dangerous, oh and look at his record! Also Vaas is a very good left armer, he had a poor series in England but he is a good swing bowler who has had to carry Sri Lanka's attack for a long time. I would put these 2 ahead of Zaheer even though he's getting all the attention at the moment. Oh yeah and Brett Shultz used to be a very fine left arm quick but he's gone a long way downhill for some reason.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Zaheer is not a speedster in my book. That suggests 90mph (145kph)+ regularly. Unless I missed something, Zaheer's not that quick (consistently).

Ashley Noffke is better than Harmison and Jones on this Summer's CC showings.

And Vaas still leads Zaheer as left armers IMO, with Wasim back in Third (how often does he take wickets now? We've had this argument before!).