• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni vs Akmal

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Xuhaib said:
Second that. With Sangakkara's improvement over the last couple of years and Gilchrist having a bad run in the test arena with the bat I think in 50 years people will look back and alot will consider Sangakkara the better batsman.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Sangakkara and Gilchrist are both light-years ahead of these two, in both Glovework, and batting, however they could both end up being good players in the future.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BhupinderSingh said:
Kumar Sangakkara /= wicketkeeper-batsman. He is a batsman-wicketkeeper.

And on that note, Adam Gilchrist and Andy Flower both > Kumar Sangakkara.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Kumar Sangakkara /= wicketkeeper-batsman. He is a batsman-wicketkeeper.

And on that note, Adam Gilchrist and Andy Flower both > Kumar Sangakkara.

Yup.

We will see about Sangakkara in five-seven years. Right now he doesn't even compare to Gilly. Lately he has been coming on strong, but he has to keep it up for a long time yet to be compared.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dhoni is by far the better batsman in ODIs, but Akmal is probably better in tests. With the gloves i think Akmal is ahead by miles, i think too much is made about his performance in England where most keepers struggle anyways.
Even then there were moments of absolute brilliance whilst he dropped some absolute sitters.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why people keep stating Dhoni as a mediocre keeper, I mean the guy has improved tremendously over the years. He barely ever drops something and some of his stumpings are completely unbelievable. IMO Dhoni still has a long way to go, but he certainly does have the potential too to become a great wicket-keeper.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
tooextracool said:
Dhoni is by far the better batsman in ODIs, but Akmal is probably better in tests. With the gloves i think Akmal is ahead by miles, i think too much is made about his performance in England where most keepers struggle anyways.
Even then there were moments of absolute brilliance whilst he dropped some absolute sitters.

Dhoni has improved his keeping considerably. My problem with him lies in his test batting, but I don't think his keeping is bad at all. Or at least, it wasn't in West Indies.

I have the entire Test series recorded on TiVo, and I went back and watched every single West Indies innings just to see his keeping, and I was fairly impressed with it.

tooextracool

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Dhoni has improved his keeping considerably. My problem with him lies in his test batting, but I don't think his keeping is bad at all. Or at least, it wasn't in West Indies.

I have the entire Test series recorded on TiVo, and I went back and watched every single West Indies innings just to see his keeping, and I was fairly impressed with it.
Dhoni is decent without being anything special. Akmal can be absolutely brilliant with the gloves(theres a reason why he played ahead of Moin and Latif) and i think his recent performances in England have taken the sheen of how good a keeper he actually is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
tooextracool said:
Dhoni is decent without being anything special. Akmal can be absolutely brilliant with the gloves(theres a reason why he played ahead of Moin and Latif) and i think his recent performances in England have taken the sheen of how good a keeper he actually is.

Yea, I agree with you. He is good, or at least had a good series in West Indies, but not anything special.

Dravid

International Captain
Turbinator said:
Dhoni vs Akmal

1) Who's better as a batsman?

2) Who's better as a glovesman?

3) Who has a brighter future?

4) Who do you like better?
I would pick Dhonis crazy sixes over any other wicket keeper batsman

Akmal is a better keeper imo

Dhoni seems to have a better future however.

And Dhoni is a role model now to a lot of people in India so I would pick him over Akmal

Xuhaib

International Coach
Dravid said:
I would pick Dhonis crazy sixes over any other wicket keeper batsman

Akmal is a better keeper imo

Dhoni seems to have a better future however.

And Dhoni is a role model now to a lot of people in India so I would pick him over Akmal
When Akmal is clearly the better keeper and is probably a better test batsman atm then how can you say that Dhoni seems to have a better future unless you are talking about getting lucky with the chicks in the future.