• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Winter cricket in Australia

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia gets incredibly hot in summer, especially the northern areas. That can drain a cricketer's energy a great deal, even in places like Sydney, going down south. Winters in the North may not be so cold, so why not have winter cricket in Australia in places like Darwin and Cairns? We've seen a few Tests held there, so why not have more winter action there?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Money. A lot of the state players play county cricket and don't have the time. I like what they did this year though with the A teams playing off. I would have liked to see this broadcasted on Foxtel.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
There is winter cricket in Australia (at club level), its not as popular though as it competes with footy season.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How are the facilities offered in Darwin and Cairns? And what other prospective centres exist along the northern area? Someone mentioned humidity, so how often does it rain there?

pasag

RTDAS
Footy in the winter, cricket in the summer. That's the way its been for over 100 years. Will never ever change either.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They don't want cricket clashing with the three footy codes and soccer becuase I imagine quite a few club players play cricket in the summer and Rugby League, Rugby Union, AFL or soccer in the winter.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's a growing trend for southern Australian cricketers to head up to north QLD or Darwin and play some club cricket during Winter.

luffy

International Captain
The problem with Darwin and Cairns are the facilities. While it is a good idea the facilities are lacking which means not many people will want to watch which means no money,