• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Keeper Dilemma

PhoenixFire

International Coach
For me, England should pick the very best glovesman that there is, and that only. I don't care if he can hardly bat, and bats down at 8 or lower. The team will be better off run wise, with a keeper who will save byes, catch catches and initiate run outs, than somebody who scores a hundred ever 30 tests, and averages 25. Obviously if the keeper can bat like Gilchrist and keep like he can, then great, but someone who can keep should be the main priority.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The trend in world cricket today is that teams are looking for a keeper that can make runs consistently @ #7 since Gilly's emergence so unfortunately just a good glovesman wont cut it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Foster, it seems, was dropped in 2002 because his wicketkeeping was just ordinary and couldn't contribute much with the bat, and Stewart returned. Then they chose Read, then Jones, but if Foster's been steady behind the wicket or in the runs, that's a good sign.
Actually Foster was injured - broke his arm, IIRC - at the start of the 2002 English summer, which saved the selectors a tricky decision. His keeping had been poor during the winter, but he'd shown some promise with the bat. Not to the extent of any huge scores, but he'd made some decent contributions in difficult situations, especially in India.

Since then, his batting has clearly come on and he's made a lot of runs for Essex. His keeping has reputedly improved, but most of us don't know one way or the other as we don't get to see Essex very often.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ok its a real problem now, they called up Nixon who i've seen look ok for the foxes last season & surprisingly has a good First Class & OD season.

The problem i have with him other than his obvious mature age is that the runs he scored in FC cricket especially was in Division two.

Really my calls for Pothas can't go to deaf ear much longer..

pskov

International 12th Man
aussie said:
Ok its a real problem now, they called up Nixon who i've seen look ok for the foxes last season & surprisingly has a good First Class & OD season.

The problem i have with him other than his obvious mature age is that the runs he scored in FC cricket especially was in Division two.

Really my calls for Pothas can't go to deaf ear much longer..
Pothas doesn't qualify until English summer 2007 IIRC.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You sure, when KP came over from SA in 2002 to play for the Notts it took him 2 years to qualify to play for England. Pothas has been playing for Hampshire since 2002 as well, so he should have qualified by now.

pskov

International 12th Man
aussie said:
You sure, when KP came over from SA in 2002 to play for the Notts it took him 2 years to qualify to play for England. Pothas has been playing for Hampshire since 2002 as well, so he should have qualified by now.
KP started playing county cricket in 2000.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
crap your right, his 4-year qualification isn't up yet. Geez well the dilemma goes on..

EDIT: wait 4-year qualification is the rule, Pothas has been around since 2002 so he has qualifed

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I can't brlirve they've picked Nixon now. IMO, it would have been a good idea to pick him in 1999(when they first picked Read) but at the age he is now (McGrath and Warne are proof you can play international cricket at that age but surely not start a career for god sake) its silly!! I'm beginning to think Foster must have done something to upset D Fletcher (like Ormond and Afzaal did in NZ when they turned up overweight) there os no other explanation for his absence. To think they dropped Read from the Ashes because of his poor CT performance...but he's still in the ODI team :-O PS - KP played for Notts from 2001. PPS- I wouldn't have Pothas because he's already played for SA. IMO whern you play for one country that should be it. And he started playing for Hants in 2002 so by my reckoning hr could have played for us this summer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
PPS- I wouldn't have Pothas because he's already played for SA. IMO whern you play for one country that should be it. And he started playing for Hants in 2002 so by my reckoning hr could have played for us this summer.
Some may take that view yea, but Pothas is practically an adapted Englishman i haven't ever heard of his intentions to represent England but he has qualified via the ECB rules & with the keeper dilemma we are in, the selectors should really look into him with in the next year.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
PPS- I wouldn't have Pothas because he's already played for SA. IMO whern you play for one country that should be it. And he started playing for Hants in 2002 so by my reckoning hr could have played for us this summer.
Totally agree with your first point. tbh I really don't want the England side full of exsaffies who've made a decision to change nationality, whatever the qualification rules may say. Nothing personal against any of them, it just makes a mockery of international competition imo.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Nixon's call up kind of makes sense. I don't think the selectors really know what keeper they want too choose but they knew they didn't want Geraint in the squad becuase if he's there, he'll get picked in the side. Nixon's had a good couple of years, is experienced i guess they think having him there is a safe option.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Calling Richard Nixon up is a gamble, but a wise gamble if you ask me. He is energetic, can lift the team, and was awesome in the domestic one-dayers last year. Its harsh on Foster, really harsh, but I have a feeling his time will come.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
Calling Richard Nixon up is a gamble, but a wise gamble if you ask me. He is energetic, can lift the team, and was awesome in the domestic one-dayers last year. Its harsh on Foster, really harsh, but I have a feeling his time will come.
Yeah, he'll certainly be a bit stiff. :laugh:

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Experience is good and at the moment I suppose the English team will take any safe option they have. Kevin Pietersen has been remarkable for England just a pity he was a late bloomer for us South Africans but I'm glad that his talent is being put to use somewhere in the world and boy is he putting it to use:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
How do you know that they haven't looked at him though?
I have as little of an idea as you do, but if they have & don't want him but yer have gone for Nixon i'd say they have made a bit of a error. But between now & the start of next season we'll no for sure.