• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rather face?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Just out of curiosity, who'd you rather face:

Shoaib Akhtar (without drugs)
or
Shand Bond (without injuries)
or
Brett Lee

adharcric

International Coach
Shane Bond. I can handle pace and swing on off or middle stump, but I'm very uncomfortable against short deliveries at my head. :ph34r:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I myself would pick Bond, because I know he's not injured NOW, but by the time he completes his run-up he will be.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Bond. He is probably a better bowler than both of these guys when he is not injured but he also doesn't bowl many bouncers.

adharcric

International Coach
age_master said:
250 ODI wickets at 22.36, i wish i was that crap...

I would rather face Akhtar, i reakon hes the least consistent of the three.
That's a bad thing because he'll be all over the place at 90+ mph.

Matt79

Global Moderator
For avoiding injury - Bond.

For scoring runs (as if! :) ) - Lee. Probably bowls more bad balls than either Akhtar and Bond when those two are firing, although he's more consistently at his best than those two.

C_C

International Captain
I wouldnt care.
When i played cricket, i encountered some really fast ones (over 90mph) but i am pretty short, so i duck everything above chest height and full stuff i just play instinctively...works better..for reasons unknown to me, when it comes to sports, my instinctive side does a lot better than my analytical/planning side though the former rarely comes into play fully.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Turbinator said:
I myself would pick Bond, because I know he's not injured NOW, but by the time he completes his run-up he will be.
:laugh:

I'd go with Lee though. While all these bowlers have the capability to be dangerous (in a wicket taking sense), Lee more often has the tendency to be distinctly ordinary.

Not that it would really matter, as I'd probably crap my pants before I could score any runs. 8-)

adharcric

International Coach
C_C said:
I wouldnt care.
When i played cricket, i encountered some really fast ones (over 90mph) but i am pretty short, so i duck everything above chest height and full stuff i just play instinctively...works better..for reasons unknown to me, when it comes to sports, my instinctive side does a lot better than my analytical/planning side though the former rarely comes into play fully.
Who were these 90+ mph guys? I would've thought there aren't too many in the world that can do that considering we have less than 10 in international cricket who can pull it off.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I faced Bond fully fit, I'm sure I wouldn't be facing him for long. The way he swings both the new and old ball is devastating, especially considering the pace at which he does it. Lee can swing the new ball superbly on his day, but I don't consider him as great a threat as Bond with the old ball.

I think Akhtar's biggest threats are the yorker and his slower ball. On the other hand, I think Bond has far more tools to dismiss you with, considering especially that he has a superb yorker.

Dravid

International Captain
Shane Bond, basically because I can play swing pretty well. Not too strong on my hook/pull shot and can't really play a bouncer from Lee, and I would prefer not to face steroid users.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid said:
Shane Bond, basically because I can play swing pretty well. Not too strong on my hook/pull shot and can't really play a bouncer from Lee, and I would prefer not to face steroid users.
Highly doubtful that you've ever faced a swing bowler as quick or as high quality as Bond though. I think a lot of people here are equating very ordinary swing with what Bond can produce.

Considering that Akhtar and Lee rely mostly on pace and Bond can be just about as quick as well as swing the ball more than either...

It's really baffling that people here would prefer to face quick bowling that's swinging than quick bowling that isn't.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
You bat just like me. :cool: