• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rather face?

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
Err. I've timed myself ( and pretty accurately at that) at over 87mph consistently when i just care about speed and i am a short thin guy.
Seriously,bowling fast is not that hard if you dont give a toss about line and length.
Ie, if you'r 'target area' is as wide as two pitchlengths, practically every Tom, Dick and Harry could bowl at 90mph as long as they have rythm.
It becomes exponentially hard to bowl fast AND make it land where you want it to.
At higher levels, there isnt any inherent advantage of bowling fast really. i think like many Indians, you are getting caught up in the 'fast = good' bug.
Whilst id love to hear you defend this further, let me point out that India had a scorpio speedster contest a few years ago, the preliminary stages focussed only on speed. Bowlers from all over their country tried their hand at bowling as fast as possible. The top speed clocked? 135 kph, which isnt even 85 mph. The bowler who managed to do that was given a contract to play in an academy in Australia or something like that. Certainly the odds of some 'short skinny guy' coming in and bowling much faster than a ridiculously large sample of the Indian population or you playing against 90 mph bowlers at the club level is not only absurd but just plain stupid, and if you expect people to believe that, you might want to try something else. Like ive said before, if you ever lie, at least make it sound believable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nightprowler10 said:
I'm pretty sure I've broken the sound barrier while bowling in my basement.
Was that because it was a 3cm wicket, so 5 mph is the equivalent of the speed of sound?

C_C

International Captain
tooextracool said:
Whilst id love to hear you defend this further, let me point out that India had a scorpio speedster contest a few years ago, the preliminary stages focussed only on speed. Bowlers from all over their country tried their hand at bowling as fast as possible. The top speed clocked? 135 kph, which isnt even 85 mph. The bowler who managed to do that was given a contract to play in an academy in Australia or something like that. Certainly the odds of some 'short skinny guy' coming in and bowling much faster than a ridiculously large sample of the Indian population or you playing against 90 mph bowlers at the club level is not only absurd but just plain stupid, and if you expect people to believe that, you might want to try something else. Like ive said before, if you ever lie, at least make it sound believable.
And i am sure you think that the contest took in every other Indian youth out there in the fold.
:laugh:
Btw- just for the record- Agarkar is about the same height as me and he can crank it at 90mph pretty regularly.
As i said, you are making some very fundamental (and erroneous) assumptions about me: i didnt grow up malnourished in India. I also didnt play club cricket in India. And if you care that much, show up in Kolkata in December(When i'd be there). I am willing to aim a few bouncers at your head and you can then tell me whether it was over 85mph or not.
And quoting some ridiculous ad-hoc competition that, at most, took into consideration 1 outta 100 teens in India only further exposes the fallacy of your argument and your failure to grasp the basics of a statistical survey more than anything else.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I wasn't implying that you were lying or anything, I just didn't realise that he could bowl that fast. I thought he was Pathan pace, but clearly not.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I wasn't implying that you were lying or anything, I just didn't realise that he could bowl that fast. I thought he was Pathan pace, but clearly not.
He's certainly not Pathan pace, but I don't know about cranking it up that high. Sure, one or two balls here and there might touch 90, but he usually bowls in the mid 80's (83-87).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Unless I'm not detecting the sarcasm in that post, then I do believe that that is the light speed, not the sound barrier.

C_C

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:

I am pretty sure when Aggy is bowling ( despite his utter tripe bowling 90% of the time) his whole focus isnt 100% on speed (as is mine when i crank it)-whichi s why he doesnt bowl every ball at 90mph but in some of his faster spells, half the balls are in the 140-145kph range.

I dont know how many here have bowled pace at any decent level of cricket but it seriously isnt very challenging to go above 85mph if you dont care bowling it a metre wide of the stumps.
When i bowled, my action was a high arm slinging action ( as i said, my serving in tennis and my bowling fast had almost identical actions-within the parameters of practicality) and slingers usually can bowl pretty fast-in general, faster than regular arm bowlers.
If you just run in, pivot on the backfoot as if you were tossing a ball for a serve in tennis, wrench your midsection and bring the arm down from behind your back in an arc high over your head, you'd be surprised just how fast the ball will come out.
You'll also be surprised how erratic your bowling would be.
:D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PhoenixFire said:
Acutually I think that internation tail enders (bar some), are usually very good batters, that would eclipse most club players. They are made to look crap by good spin and pace, but looking at the shots that Harmison and Jones have played, they are far from useless.
That's very true, actually. Dear old Tuffers, who was the bunniest of bunnies at test level, used to open for his club.

As to the question in hand, I'd definitely go Bond on the basis that he's the least likely to slip one out of the back of the hand, as it were. 90+mph beamers strike me as no fun at all. I'd take the broken foot over being totally cleaned up.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
PhoenixFire said:
Unless I'm not detecting the sarcasm in that post, then I do believe that that is the light speed, not the sound barrier.
Edited, for your pleasure mr fire.

C_C

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
That's very true, actually. Dear old Tuffers, who was the bunniest of bunnies at test level, used to open for his club.

As to the question in hand, I'd definitely go Bond on the basis that he's the least likely to slip one out of the back of the hand, as it were. 90+mph beamers strike me as no fun at all. I'd take the broken foot over being totally cleaned up.
Dont depress all those dreamers amongst us (including me) who think 'we cant be that bad..i am sure we can average 30-odd in tests with the bat'.
:D :D :@ :laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
And i am sure you think that the contest took in every other Indian youth out there in the fold..
:laugh:.
I think your really clutching at straws here. Obviously it didnt include every Indian teen out there but it took in a comparitively large proportion of the Indian teenage population from all over India, and i doubt some scrawny kid like you can land the ball at 87mph while everyone else was barely managing to make it past 80 mph. Im not sure how in the world you expect people to believe that someone like you can bowl 7 mph faster than the average Indian.

C_C said:
Btw- just for the record- Agarkar is about the same height as me and he can crank it at 90mph pretty regularly.
Oh wow, what a very intelligent statement that is. Agarkar has probably been bowling since he was a kid. Hes also been trained and has a decent fitness regime to follow everyday. And even he cant clock 90 mph regularly, as anyone whos ever watched him bowl will tell you. Infact he only does so once in every blue moon. To expect people to believe that someone who has absolutely no training whatsoever in bowling can clock 87+ mph is just insulting the intellect of the CW community.

C_C said:
As i said, you are making some very fundamental (and erroneous) assumptions about me: i didnt grow up malnourished in India. I also didnt play club cricket in India. And if you care that much, show up in Kolkata in December(When i'd be there). I am willing to aim a few bouncers at your head and you can then tell me whether it was over 85mph or not..
Yes im sure after you did that you would go down to Australia and win the Ashes for England. Whether or not you grew up malnourished in India is rather futile, because ive played local cricket in both India and England and ive played some decent fast bowlers. However id be an absolute fool if i was to say that anyone of them managed to clock over 85 mph ever.