• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English County Cricket

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
For anyone interested in County cricket and I guess this more for Neil and James, Worcestershire have released Sheriyar with a year to go on his contract which is amazing. The left-armer has bagged 400 wickets in 7 years at the club and is rated very highly at county level I'd say.

Do Warwickshire need any bowling as he would be a shrewd signing in my book. Somerset are up to their eyes in pace bowling so won't approach him but its a shame this didn't happen last year so we could have Sheriyar instead of Francis!

Any imput from folks about how Sheriyar is rated??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt Warwick's would sign him, because they've signed 2 overseas bowlers for the season.

Shane Bond who will give them more than enough pace to work with & Kumble who will add some spin.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would scream if Warwickshire signed him - he's overrated at county level IMO - very very expensive, and has only ever had one good season.

Hmm, sounds like a certain Kent captain.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Just remembered Solanki. How is he playing? I thought he was very talented.Has he got any chance of making atleast into the ENG one day team?

chris.hinton

International Captain
I am a Worcester fan and i can tell you why Sheriyar was released? the simple reason is the he thought he could not play for England with Worcester? he is a good bowler but we have Ali,Liptrot now but we need to sign and Produce now more then ever?

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
I would scream if Warwickshire signed him - he's overrated at county level IMO - very very expensive, and has only ever had one good season.

Hmm, sounds like a certain Kent captain.
That's right Marc, the captain's job has gone to star batsman D.Fulton :P :D

And I think our pace attack is good enough already thanks, with: - Saggers, Khan, Trott, Trego, Ealham, Symonds, Hewitt and Masters

and spinners in Treadwell and Patel

And talk of a fast bowler becomming our 2nd overseas player, but if he wants to come to Kent Iam not going to stop him :D

[Edited on 31/10/02 by Rich2001]

Rich2001

International Captain
Why? You have enough donkeys in the squad already.
Oh yeah that's right Marc I forgot

- M.Saggers - 79 wkts @ 21.54 (50+ wkts 3 seasons in a row)

- A.Khan - 63 @ 31.80 (debut season)

- M.Patel - 36 wkts @ 33 (avg 40 with the bat)

- M.Ealham - 28 wkts @ 34 (also avg 34 with the bat)

Compared to the mighty bears

- D.Brown - 52 @ 31.26

- A.Richardson - 37 @ 24.45

- S.Pollock - 28 @ 26.17

- A.Giles - 25 @ 27.12

Nobody else got over 20 wickets for you

Rich2001

International Captain
I would scream if Warwickshire signed him - he's overrated at county level IMO - very very expensive
That suprises me as I just double checked his stats... which are

A Sheriyar 57 wkts @ 30.08 (nearly the same as D.Brown)

S/R - 58.4 | Econ - 3.08 | BB - 6/71

He was the 2nd higest wicket taker at Worcs last season only 3 behind Kabir Ali

[Edited on 31/10/02 by Rich2001]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rich2001

- D.Brown - 52 @ 31.26

- S.Pollock - 28 @ 26.17

- A.Giles - 25 @ 27.12

Granted Saggers had a good year, but averages over 30 are poor.

Patel's batting was slightly helped by not outs.

Richardson missed half the season through injury.

Giles played about 4 CC games and Pollock also missed a great deal of the season (note they all picked up wickets at very good averages though)

I also would like to call on exhibit B - Nicholas Verity Knight, who destroyed David "one season wonder, I averaged less than 50 the next year as predicted by this forum's most knowledgable pundit".

Oh, and Exhibit C, the County Championship Table :lol::frog::lol:

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Rich2001

- D.Brown - 52 @ 31.26

- S.Pollock - 28 @ 26.17

- A.Giles - 25 @ 27.12

Granted Saggers had a good year, but averages over 30 are poor.

Patel's batting was slightly helped by not outs.

Oh, and Exhibit C, the County Championship Table :lol::frog::lol:
1/ I agree Saggers had a great year and should have got a place on the Ashes tour

2/ Patel's batting, yes had a few no out's but that's expected from a lower order (batted around 8) however 554 runs @ 40 with a highest score of 84* is no fluke....

3/ Yeah and what game of the season did you pip us to 2nd spot, last game wasn't it, however I admit that Warwickshire had a good season, better than I expected anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On point 3, you're not the only one surprised.

On point 1, I disagree as he's to me another good county pro, but not young enough to be persevered with compared with Harmisn and Jones.

On point 2, Giles has been doing that sort of thing for years!

masterblaster

International Captain
What does everyone think about Indians in the counties next year?

As an Indian fan i would like to know

Harbhajan Singh - Lancashire
Anil Kumble - Possibly Warwicks
Virender Sehwag - Possibly Leicestershire

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I only thought Kumble would be in the CC next year...the others are basically rumours.

Saggers has been doing it for a while and should be given a go, he deserves it.

Also for all your slagging off David Fulton I think he still had a good season and he captained Kent well. Ok so he didn't score his runs over 50 but he did pass 1000 runs at an average of over 40 which is not actually that bad. And I am very sure that Ian Ward and Nick Knight will not get anywhere near their performances this year, next year. Everyone has a lucky season...or 2...

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by masterblaster
What does everyone think about Indians in the counties next year?

As an Indian fan i would like to know

Harbhajan Singh - Lancashire
Anil Kumble - Possibly Warwicks
Virender Sehwag - Possibly Leicestershire
From what I saw two season's ago Kumble had a bad season with Leicestershire, but among a stronger team I can see him doing ok..but only really Lancashires ground will be suited to his bowling.

Harbhajan Singh & Virender Sehwag - Will be top performers.

[Edited on 1/11/02 by Rich2001]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton in post I agree with shock!

I could see Kumble being a true star this coming season, and we won't miss Giles anywhere near as much as we may have done.

Who knows, with him, Bond, Brown, Richardson and Carter, we have a pretty good attack, and if the batting fires, we could be challenging!

V Reddy

International Debutant
I also heard that Dravid would be playing for Scotland. I think he is a much more better player than he was when he played for Kent.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid is about as Scottish as Curry...but then Kallis was about as Welsh as...:lol: