• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI Consider revoking Azhar's life Ban.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ICC and BCCI are up against each other again. this time it is over Azhar's Ban, BCCI wants to felicitate Azhar along with other former Indian captains. ICC doesn't want them to. I think ICC should just shut up and mind their own business and IMO this is the only thing the BCCI have done right in last 6 years.

Considering what Mark Waugh, Gibbs, Warne etc got, Azhar should never have been given a lifeban. BCCI defiantely erred on this and it's about time they reverse their decision.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ajit Wadekar, former India Captain on this :-

I feel the punishment meted out to Azhar was unwarranted. Our Board erred in imposing a ban on him. Azhar has been a great cricketer who has done tremendous service to the team and the game. The ban is very harsh considering the fact that nothing has been proved yet.

The ICC has no business meddling in our affairs. Why does it not object when other players like Shane Warne and Herschelle Gibbs are out playing despite being involved in match-fixing? Our Board has made a nice gesture by planning a felicitation for all former captains including Azharuddin. The ICC should stay out of this.”

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanz said:
ICC and BCCI are up against each other again. this time it is over Azhar's Ban, BCCI wants to felicitate Azhar along with other former Indian captains. ICC doesn't want them to. I think ICC should just shut up and mind their own business and IMO this is the only thing the BCCI have done right in last 6 years.

Considering what Mark Waugh, Gibbs, Warne etc got, Azhar should never have been given a lifeban. BCCI defiantely erred on this and it's about time they reverse their decision.
What do Waugh, Gibbs and Warne have to do with Azhar being punished for breaking the rules? Do you take the stance of "others weren't punished for it, so no one should be"? Because that's a pretty lame stance.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What do Waugh, Gibbs and Warne have to do with Azhar being punished for breaking the rules? Do you take the stance of "others weren't punished for it, so no one should be"? Because that's a pretty lame stance.
In case you failed to notice, Azhar was punished and has already served 6 years of ban as opposed to some others for pretty much similar crime. So there is no question of he shouldn't be punished, because he already has been. He is still treated like a social outlaw whereas the gibbs, warnes and waughs of the world roam free.

I say it again, Azhar should never have got a lifeban. Hope you are able to read it this time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ICC :- "it would be a grave mistake to talk of Azhar's case and that of others in the same breath".

BCCI :- "Yes, Azhar should not be compared with those who got away with murder, people who continued to play after serving a token punishment even after they had admitted that they had taken cash to under perform and those who unabashedly said they accepted money from bookies. One is being persecuted and condemned for life while others strut about as paragons of virtues."

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ugh, they should all be banned. For life. Just because the other cheaters got away, doesn't mean this one should.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:

revoking a life ban is one thing...maybe you can argue that he's been punished enough although i don't agree, maybe you can argue that nothing has been proved conclusively as yet...it's arguable at least, why felicitate him while he is still under a cloud of suspicion? i am not siding with either icc or bcci on this, it's just politicking and scoring cheap points on both sides.....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
He is still treated like a social outlaw whereas the gibbs, warnes and waughs of the world roam free.
Far from true. He is has been a fixture in page 3 parties and social parties and has been far from shunned. He is far from treated as a social outlaw. It is true that some people accept him back while others do not among fans at large but that is the fan's choice.

I say it again, Azhar should never have got a lifeban. Hope you are able to read it this time.
Based upon? Fixing is against the basic fabric of the game and is worse than any thing cricket has seen - be it bodyline or say a drug scandal . There is no place for fixers in the game.

Just because x, y, z players were let off easily doesn't mean it was right.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Far from true. He is has been a fixture in page 3 parties and social parties and has been far from shunned. He is far from treated as a social outlaw. It is true that some people accept him back while others do not among fans at large but that is the fan's choice..
By Social, I meant events related to Cricket and not page3 stuff.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Based upon? Fixing is against the basic fabric of the game and is worse than any thing cricket has seen - be it bodyline or say a drug scandal . There is no place for fixers in the game.
Not trying to compare the two, but Isn't mouthing off verbals against the basic fabric of the game as well ? Since you are calling him a Fixer, Can you point to one game where it has been proven that he fixed it ?

Just because x, y, z players were let off easily doesn't mean it was right.
But Azhar was not let off easily, he has already served 6 years. And my point is a lifeban is too harsh.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Ugh, they should all be banned. For life. Just because the other cheaters got away, doesn't mean this one should.
Silentstriker, I think you should read things first before making posts like that. How is he getting away when he has already served six years of ban ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanjay, I think a life ban is apt. Sledging v match fixing and is sledging against the basic fibre of the game and if yes, how much - don't see the point of we going into that as we both know match fixing is a much more severe offence.

Can you point to one game where it has been proven that he fixed it ?
If it was not proven he was a fixer, I would agree he shouldn't have been banned. I haven't heard that theory before though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sanz said:
Silentstriker, I think you should read things first before making posts like that. How is he getting away when he has already served six years of ban ?
Some might say that anything other than a life ban for matchfixing is getting off...I know I would, but no doubt I'm wrong and you'll tell me why.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
revoking a life ban is one thing...maybe you can argue that he's been punished enough although i don't agree, maybe you can argue that nothing has been proved conclusively as yet...it's arguable at least, why felicitate him while he is still under a cloud of suspicion? i am not siding with either icc or bcci on this, it's just politicking and scoring cheap points on both sides.....
As you said, it is not proved conclusively either way, so why hand out such harsh punishment for something that isn't even proved conclusively yet. Besides it is a function for former India captains, which Azhar is, so I dont see the problem.

It's not like Azhar committed murder or something, he was guilty of corruption and that's it, he didn't play with or risk anyone's life or . Everyone deserves a second chance, this is what sports is and should be all about, IMO ofcourse.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
If it was not proven he was a fixer, I would agree he shouldn't have been banned. I haven't heard that theory before though.
I think you are ducking the question. You called him a fixer and I asked you to point to one match(out of 433 International games Azza was part of), which was proved to be fixed by him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Some might say that anything other than a life ban for matchfixing is getting off...I know I would, but no doubt I'm wrong and you'll tell me why.
Well if he is going to get a lifeban for match fixing, shouldn't it be at least proved beyond doubt that he indeed fixed a match ?

Or do you think it is fair to ban someone for life from all facets of the game on the basis of Circumstantial evidences ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Thanks for taking part in the discussion.
Erm who makes you the judge who is taking part in the discussion and how? Another person can have the point of view that you are the one who isn't taking part in the discussion contructively. So concentrate on the topic at hand or keep quiet.