Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCCI Consider revoking Azhar's life Ban.

BCCI Consider revoking Azhar's life Ban.

ICC and BCCI are up against each other again. this time it is over Azhar's Ban, BCCI wants to felicitate Azhar along with other former Indian captains. ICC doesn't want them to. I think ICC should just shut up and mind their own business and IMO this is the only thing the BCCI have done right in last 6 years.

Considering what Mark Waugh, Gibbs, Warne etc got, Azhar should never have been given a lifeban. BCCI defiantely erred on this and it's about time they reverse their decision.
    Last edited by Sanz; 19-10-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Ajit Wadekar, former India Captain on this :-

I feel the punishment meted out to Azhar was unwarranted. Our Board erred in imposing a ban on him. Azhar has been a great cricketer who has done tremendous service to the team and the game. The ban is very harsh considering the fact that nothing has been proved yet.

The ICC has no business meddling in our affairs. Why does it not object when other players like Shane Warne and Herschelle Gibbs are out playing despite being involved in match-fixing? Our Board has made a nice gesture by planning a felicitation for all former captains including Azharuddin. The ICC should stay out of this.”

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    ICC and BCCI are up against each other again. this time it is over Azhar's Ban, BCCI wants to felicitate Azhar along with other former Indian captains. ICC doesn't want them to. I think ICC should just shut up and mind their own business and IMO this is the only thing the BCCI have done right in last 6 years.

Considering what Mark Waugh, Gibbs, Warne etc got, Azhar should never have been given a lifeban. BCCI defiantely erred on this and it's about time they reverse their decision.
    What do Waugh, Gibbs and Warne have to do with Azhar being punished for breaking the rules? Do you take the stance of "others weren't punished for it, so no one should be"? Because that's a pretty lame stance.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Does that mean that Ajay Sharma and co will get it revoked too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    What do Waugh, Gibbs and Warne have to do with Azhar being punished for breaking the rules? Do you take the stance of "others weren't punished for it, so no one should be"? Because that's a pretty lame stance.
    In case you failed to notice, Azhar was punished and has already served 6 years of ban as opposed to some others for pretty much similar crime. So there is no question of he shouldn't be punished, because he already has been. He is still treated like a social outlaw whereas the gibbs, warnes and waughs of the world roam free.

I say it again, Azhar should never have got a lifeban. Hope you are able to read it this time.

ICC :- "it would be a grave mistake to talk of Azhar's case and that of others in the same breath".

BCCI :- "Yes, Azhar should not be compared with those who got away with murder, people who continued to play after serving a token punishment even after they had admitted that they had taken cash to under perform and those who unabashedly said they accepted money from bookies. One is being persecuted and condemned for life while others strut about as paragons of virtues."

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Ugh, they should all be banned. For life. Just because the other cheaters got away, doesn't mean this one should.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

revoking a life ban is one thing...maybe you can argue that he's been punished enough although i don't agree, maybe you can argue that nothing has been proved conclusively as yet...it's arguable at least, why felicitate him while he is still under a cloud of suspicion? i am not siding with either icc or bcci on this, it's just politicking and scoring cheap points on both sides.....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    He is still treated like a social outlaw whereas the gibbs, warnes and waughs of the world roam free.
    Far from true. He is has been a fixture in page 3 parties and social parties and has been far from shunned. He is far from treated as a social outlaw. It is true that some people accept him back while others do not among fans at large but that is the fan's choice.

I say it again, Azhar should never have got a lifeban. Hope you are able to read it this time.
    Based upon? Fixing is against the basic fabric of the game and is worse than any thing cricket has seen - be it bodyline or say a drug scandal . There is no place for fixers in the game.

Just because x, y, z players were let off easily doesn't mean it was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Far from true. He is has been a fixture in page 3 parties and social parties and has been far from shunned. He is far from treated as a social outlaw. It is true that some people accept him back while others do not among fans at large but that is the fan's choice..
    By Social, I meant events related to Cricket and not page3 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Based upon? Fixing is against the basic fabric of the game and is worse than any thing cricket has seen - be it bodyline or say a drug scandal . There is no place for fixers in the game.
    Not trying to compare the two, but Isn't mouthing off verbals against the basic fabric of the game as well ? Since you are calling him a Fixer, Can you point to one game where it has been proven that he fixed it ?

Just because x, y, z players were let off easily doesn't mean it was right.
    But Azhar was not let off easily, he has already served 6 years. And my point is a lifeban is too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Ugh, they should all be banned. For life. Just because the other cheaters got away, doesn't mean this one should.
    Silentstriker, I think you should read things first before making posts like that. How is he getting away when he has already served six years of ban ?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Sanjay, I think a life ban is apt. Sledging v match fixing and is sledging against the basic fibre of the game and if yes, how much - don't see the point of we going into that as we both know match fixing is a much more severe offence.

Can you point to one game where it has been proven that he fixed it ?
    If it was not proven he was a fixer, I would agree he shouldn't have been banned. I haven't heard that theory before though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Silentstriker, I think you should read things first before making posts like that. How is he getting away when he has already served six years of ban ?
    Some might say that anything other than a life ban for matchfixing is getting off...I know I would, but no doubt I'm wrong and you'll tell me why.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    revoking a life ban is one thing...maybe you can argue that he's been punished enough although i don't agree, maybe you can argue that nothing has been proved conclusively as yet...it's arguable at least, why felicitate him while he is still under a cloud of suspicion? i am not siding with either icc or bcci on this, it's just politicking and scoring cheap points on both sides.....
    As you said, it is not proved conclusively either way, so why hand out such harsh punishment for something that isn't even proved conclusively yet. Besides it is a function for former India captains, which Azhar is, so I dont see the problem.

It's not like Azhar committed murder or something, he was guilty of corruption and that's it, he didn't play with or risk anyone's life or . Everyone deserves a second chance, this is what sports is and should be all about, IMO ofcourse.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information