• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI Consider revoking Azhar's life Ban.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I don't know what you call someone who betrayes his country and the game of cricket for money.
What betrayal ? Azhar won many matches for India and that is a proven fact. Yeah he took bribe to fix some games, which we are not even sure about. Besides, He has already been punished for it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
What betrayal ? Azhar won many matches for India and that is a proven fact. Yeah he took bribe to fix some games, which we are not even sure about. Besides, He has already been punished for it.

I didn't know he had been executed by firing squad.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
What's that got to do with priorities?
That you consider execution by firing squad appropriate punishment for match fixing. What would you recommend for murderers then ? Disembowelment ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fratboy said:
That you consider execution by firing squad appropriate punishment for match fixing. What would you recommend for murderers then ? Disembowelment ?
No, firing squad can serve multiple purpose.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
For the record Azhar wasn't the captain during the Titan Cup and India actually won the cup with Azhar being the second best batsman for India. In the 1999 Pepsi cup Azza captained only two games, India won the 1st one and lost the second one by a huge margin and it was a collective team failure.

Lastly, Azhar has always maintained that he never said such a thing to CBI commission.
Obviously, pointing out India (and Azhar's) overall performance in the Titan Cup has little ramifications for the game he allegedly claims to have "fixed", where he made 9 runs. And similarly a collective team failure also tells you nothing about Azharuddin's motivations (or Mongia's for that matter). The allegation would simply be that the majority of the bats honestly failed, while Azhar did so for money.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe the CBI commission or Azhar (if he now denies making such a statement). But wouldn't the alternative mean that the commission was dirty, and was looking to frame him? I don't know how implausible that is, so I guess I can only base my reasoning on the presumption that the confession (as well as the other evidence of numerous dealings and phone calls to bookies during matches, and financial gifts that he concedes come from these people) is real and he's guilty. On those grounds, I don't think the ban should be lifted (and unless I'm mistaken, the ban would enable him to coach at a high level).

Of course if he's innocent, then he shouldn't have been banned in the first place - it goes without saying. But I have to say that it appears he was pretty embedded to me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Obviously, pointing out India (and Azhar's) overall performance in the Titan Cup has little ramifications for the game he allegedly claims to have "fixed", where he made 9 runs. And similarly a collective team failure also tells you nothing about Azharuddin's motivations (or Mongia's for that matter). The allegation would simply be that the majority of the bats honestly failed, while Azhar did so for money.
The point is one couldn't say it one way or another unless there is conclusive proof, like it was in the case of Cronje.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe the CBI commission or Azhar (if he now denies making such a statement). But wouldn't the alternative mean that the commission was dirty, and was looking to frame him? I don't know how implausible that is, so I guess I can only base my reasoning on the presumption that the confession (as well as the other evidence of numerous dealings and phone calls to bookies during matches, and financial gifts that he concedes come from these people) is real and he's guilty. On those grounds, I don't think the ban should be lifted (and unless I'm mistaken, the ban would enable him to coach at a high level).
I would have had no problem in trusting CBI if they had made their investigation public. No one knows what went on those investigations. Before the CBI enquiry BCCI had setup its own enquiry headded by Indian Supreme Court Judge YV Chandrachud and he had cleareed Azhar(and any other Indian player) of match fixing and I didn't trust that and I have no reason to trust CBI blindly.

You are right about all the phone calls, dealings, gift etc, it is easy to know that Azhar was involved, but same things were found in case of Jadeja as well and and yet he got 5 and Azhar got Life. Where is the consistency.

Of course if he's innocent, then he shouldn't have been banned in the first place - it goes without saying. But I have to say that it appears he was pretty embedded to me.
Just because Azhar was punished, doesn't mean he fixed those 3 matches. He is not innocent but IMO he is not as guilty as it is made out to be. He sure took money to underperform, but whether or not he underperformed is yet to be proven. Azhar definately was an easy target then, He was at the end of his career, was definately involved at some level, India were not doing well and Azhar was starting to get very unpopular among Indian fans (a la Ganguly). Then came open accusation from His captain Tendulkar that he(SRT) felt that Azhar wasn't giving his best under him,( although I have shown it earlier that Azza performed better under Sachin's captaincy).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
We wouldn't have this problem if he had been shot by firing squad the day he was found guilty.
Your posts are offensive and extremist at best.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fratboy said:
Therefore match fixing = murder ? You have a perverse and extremely skewed thought process.
No, I am sorry. I do not mean to equate match fixing with murder. Sometimes murderers can be reformed.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
No, I am sorry. I do not mean to equate match fixing with murder. Sometimes murderers can be reformed.
It would help you immensely if you threw away the shovel and gave up on that hole.