• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI Consider revoking Azhar's life Ban.

Matt79 said:
umm any proof there champ?
Whole world knows that M.Waugh & Warne have been involved in match fixing(whether u call it "exchanging wheather reports" or whatever to coverup the things).As far as Alec Stewart is concerned,his name was their amongst the earliest guyts about whom ICC's anti-corruption unit got solid evidence i.e A De Silva,Azhar,Salim Malik & Cronje but no action was taken against due to political reasons.

Matt79

Global Moderator
BhupinderSingh said:
Whole world knows
Again, so that's a no?

Look, get a dog, get out and see a movie, or get a girlfriend, but whatever you do, make sure you just get over it.

R_D

International Debutant
HE has a point... as if anyone beleives the whole weather report and pitch condition report... Thats almost as good as Warne's my mum gave it to me story.
Fact is some board did cover it up and tried to brush it under the carpet.

I don't see why Azhar's life should be lifted.. don't care if others got off lightly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Life Ban = Ban till the cricket administration of the country changes hands

Concept of Justice for BCCI : Only subject to other countries punishing their guilty. If you can be bad we can show you how to be worse.

BCCI's decision is at best debatable and their logic is perverse.

To support it just because one is an Indian is to stand nationalism on its head.

Matt79

Global Moderator
R_D said:
HE has a point... as if anyone beleives the whole weather report and pitch condition report... Thats almost as good as Warne's my mum gave it to me story.
Fact is some board did cover it up and tried to brush it under the carpet.

I don't see why Azhar's life should be lifted.. don't care if others got off lightly.
yep. then they came clear and there was an enormous stink. If you think that the world's assembled invesigative reporters have somehow failed to uncover "the full story" given that much info to go on and a potential scalp the size of Warne's I think you're grossly underestimating them (the press).

Warne and Waugh's offence was like speeding in a car, as opposed to the equivalent of vehicular manslaughter, matchfixing. It was stupid, dangerous, and deserved punishment, ans could well have ended up in the more serious crime, but factually and even morally its a whole different level of magnitude.

As for CA covering it up, there have been at least two new chairmen, many new board members and officials, and two new captains in that time. Its not a body known for keeping secrets well. Do you seriously sugggest they are continuing to cover this up? What for? This is Australian cricket, not the Da Vinci Code...

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Life Ban = Ban till the cricket administration of the country changes hands

Concept of Justice for BCCI : Only subject to other countries punishing their guilty. If you can be bad we can show you how to be worse.

BCCI's decision is at best debatable and their logic is perverse.

To support it just because one is an Indian is to stand nationalism on its head.

Indian Law provides for remission of 'Life Sentence' after 14 years. If the executive has powers to remit the imprisonment of the convict after the minimum of 14 years in the case of murderers and rapists, surely a person accused of a comparatively trivial offence as match fixing would feel hard-done by the ostracism for life ? Yes, I realise the Indian Penal Code and the basis on which the BCCI pronounced its judgement are two different things, but the sense of perspective the comparison provides is still valid.

PS: To anyone in general, was there any particular match pinpointed as being fixed by Azza as in the case of Cronje ?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jono said:
What was Mark Waugh and Warne's punishment though?
Don't recall TBH. I was only 14 at the time. If nothing else it killed Warne's chances of ever being captain and probably cost him untold monies in sponsorships and endorsements...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jono said:
What was Mark Waugh and Warne's punishment though?
And irrelevant to what I was arguing. I said they should have been punished for what they did, but that it was not matchfixing.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Don't support the BCCI's desicion, but I don't support the ICC interfering in it either. Its really an internal matter, and if the BCCI want people involved in cricket who have tarnished reputations then its up to them.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Fratboy said:
Indian Law provides for remission of 'Life Sentence' after 14 years. If the executive has powers to remit the imprisonment of the convict after the minimum of 14 years in the case of murderers and rapists, surely a person accused of a comparatively trivial offence as match fixing would feel hard-done by the ostracism for life ? Yes, I realise the Indian Penal Code and the basis on which the BCCI pronounced its judgement are two different things, but the sense of perspective the comparison provides is still valid.
Do you really, honestly think so? I can't see the value in comparing murderers and rapists who have been imprisoned for over a decade to somebody being ostracised from the upper echelons of a sport, but maybe that's just me. Can't really comment on the 14 year remittance thing, but I presume it only applies in special circumstances.

PS: To anyone in general, was there any particular match pinpointed as being fixed by Azza as in the case of Cronje ?
Yeah, according to the CBI Report, Azharuddin confessed in a statement to fixing a Titan Cup match in 1996, and a Pepsi Asia Cup match in 1999.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
Don't support the BCCI's desicion, but I don't support the ICC interfering in it either. Its really an internal matter, and if the BCCI want people involved in cricket who have tarnished reputations then its up to them.
Its not just about revoking the ban although BCCI DID NOT announce that they were revoking the ban in the first place.

Its about "honiouring" someone who has been disgraced for services rendered before he was caught and disgraced. As an eminent Indian said on TV the other day, if you catch a traitor and send him to jail. Its possible that he may be released on parole but he is not 'homoured' which is what BCCI is planning to do. HONOUR Azhar for services to the game on a public platform !!

Lets not dilute/confuse the issue nor get swayed by sentimental mush.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Do you really, honestly think so? I can't see the value in comparing murderers and rapists who have been imprisoned for over a decade to somebody being ostracised from the upper echelons of a sport, but maybe that's just me. Can't really comment on the 14 year remittance thing, but I presume it only applies in special circumstances.

Yeah, according to the CBI Report, Azharuddin confessed in a statement to fixing a Titan Cup match in 1996, and a Pepsi Asia Cup match in 1999.
Again as I said in an earlier post. Murderers are let off and their sentences reduced but they aren't honoured ! Thats the difference.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Slow Love™ said:
The 14 year thing is to my understanding the rule rather than an exception. I don't think anyone has ever served out a true life sentence in the literal sense of the term in India. IMO a 6 year ban for match fixing that effectively killed his career is punishment enough. Its not like he's going to play for India ever again. I wouldn't be comfortable if he came anywhere near coaching a major team in India, and I find myself agreeing with SJS that honouring him is taking it too far, but I don't see harm in just lifting the ban.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of any specific instances until now.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Its not just about revoking the ban although BCCI DID NOT announce that they were revoking the ban in the first place.

Its about "honiouring" someone who has been disgraced for services rendered before he was caught and disgraced. As an eminent Indian said on TV the other day, if you catch a traitor and send him to jail. Its possible that he may be released on parole but he is not 'homoured' which is what BCCI is planning to do. HONOUR Azhar for services to the game on a public platform !!

Lets not dilute/confuse the issue nor get swayed by sentimental mush.
Oh come Off it. He is not a traitor.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
For the record Azhar wasn't the captain during the Titan Cup and India actually won the cup with Azhar being the second best batsman for India. In the 1999 Pepsi cup Azza captained only two games, India won the 1st one and lost the second one by a huge margin and it was a collective team failure.

Lastly, Azhar has always maintained that he never said such a thing to CBI commission.