• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Silentstriker playing cricket?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
nightprowler - can't even slog? :)
Not really, I could never connect with the ball. I take back what I said about never getting a leading edge for a boundary.I won a double wicket competition that way. Also had one time where I edged three consecutive deliveries for four, all three of which flew about two inches away from the keeper.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Now the name nightprowler makes sense. We're looking at a future stalker/serial murderer.
Stalkers are losers. What's the point of following a person around unless you're gonna do something. Serial murderer sounds good though, the state of Illinois could use one.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Man, unlike the Indian team I fully intend to dive on rocks and break my skull. :ph34r: Of course, the ball will just bounce on top of my cracked open skull and go to the boundy anyway.

Its at Drexel.
Fair Indian crowd there? It's really strange how I can't find any Aussies or Brits that are interested in cricket here. Surely, there must be immigrants who played it earlier. Did run into some guys from England who were playing football (soccer) on a Sunday morning, but they just smiled and continued with their game.

sideshowtim

Banned
My advice would be to become a keeper. I was always a keeper for my team and I found it to be remarkably easy. Through hard work I became a very good keeper, I practiced every day, had my brothers bowl and throw balls at me. I was an average batsman but I always found a spot in the team because I was a good keeper.

The finger injuries make you question if it's worth it sometimes though.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
silentstriker said:
My current plan is to go in and bowl like Malcom Marshall, bat like Tendulkar and field like Jonty. Anyone care to make any additions to my plan?

Well you can come to London watch me batting and get some tips if you want :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Fair Indian crowd there? It's really strange how I can't find any Aussies or Brits that are interested in cricket here. Surely, there must be immigrants who played it earlier. Did run into some guys from England who were playing football (soccer) on a Sunday morning, but they just smiled and continued with their game.
I havent met the team, but I would assume its mostly Indian/Pakistani. Fair amount.

The team is apparently very good, they are playing in the regional semi-finals tomorrow (and are defending champs). Apparently there are about 35 members, from which a team is selected by the captain every game. So seems like a fairly healthy club. I'll find out at first practice.

Nishant

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Well, after eleven years (I am 22 now), I will play cricket once more. Or at least, try to. I just found out my university has a cricket team (WTF, why did I not know that before?) and I'll be going to the first practice in a week or two.

So, I fully intend to make a total *** out of myself. I haven't bowled a delivery or held a bat in over a decade (since I was 11 years old), so I fully expect to be embarrased (but thats OK).

My current plan is to go in and bowl like Malcom Marshall, bat like Tendulkar and field like Jonty. Anyone care to make any additions to my plan?

That's nice to know dat u r really keen to play cricket again after such a long time! Best of luck from me! im 17 at the moment and play quite regulary as an opening batsman, but i know dat once i start uni, i wont play as much. That's something that worries me! Can anyone else relate to that?

adharcric

International Coach
Nishant said:
That's nice to know dat u r really keen to play cricket again after such a long time! Best of luck from me! im 17 at the moment and play quite regulary as an opening batsman, but i know dat once i start uni, i wont play as much. That's something that worries me! Can anyone else relate to that?
No. I'm captain of my uni (berkeley) team now and play league cricket simultaneously while in school. :D

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I havent met the team, but I would assume its mostly Indian/Pakistani. Fair amount.

The team is apparently very good, they are playing in the regional semi-finals tomorrow (and are defending champs). Apparently there are about 35 members, from which a team is selected by the captain every game. So seems like a fairly healthy club. I'll find out at first practice.
Regional Semi-finals?!? Since when did college cricket have regional competitions in the US? Or is it a local semi-pro league where your school has entered a team?

Nishant

International 12th Man
adharcric said:
No. I'm captain of my uni (berkeley) team now and play league cricket simultaneously while in school. :D

That's quite good! But do u actually get time to play or does it not really interfere with ur studies?....Wait...im beginning to sound like my parents!:huh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Regional Semi-finals?!? Since when did college cricket have regional competitions in the US? Or is it a local semi-pro league where your school has entered a team?

Damned if I know. I'll try to get more information for you. Our semi final is against Villanova I believe. I'm leaving for practice in 25 mins...I haven't been this excited since I first saw nightprowler's avatar. I will actually hold a real cricket ball again after 10 years :).

Its a club sponsored by the school, so it gets funding for equipment and all that, as well as reinbursement for travelling, use of the weight rooms during off hours, etc. But I don't think its at the level of semi-pro or anything.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nishant said:
That's quite good! But do u actually get time to play or does it not really interfere with ur studies?....Wait...im beginning to sound like my parents!:huh:
You don't do any work at Uni anyway. If you have to study so hard that it's possible for cricket to interfere with it, then you're too stupid to be at university.

FWIW, I graduated last summer. I also captained the University 4th XI, umpired/scored for a mix of club sides, coached and managed club junior sides, and managed district junior sides.