• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next superstar test batsman

Xuhaib

International Coach
aussie said:
I agree with Ponting that KP could be the next superstar in the mould of Lara & Tendulkar for the next decade at least, other good young bastmen are around like Bell, Clarke, Cook, DeVilliers, Jaques but ATM not sure if the have the ability to become a super-star bat like KP as yet.

Also i'll say Asif will be the next great fast--bowler of the next decade while Bravo & Watson will become top-class all-rpunders as well.
A 2-year ban will effectivley end his career:mellow:

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Given that Jack is in the know being a Victorian squad member and probably knows a fair bit about players, he may not be talking about the prediction.
Yeah, he obviously knows everything about anything to do with cricket. What else do you see happening in the next 10 years, Jacko?

Matt79

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
I agree, Bell is just better than KP. He is the future for England.
Might be an idea to wait until after the next Ashes before you get too confident re: Bell. He didn't really cover himself in glory in the last Ashes and plenty of young wunderkinds have landed on Aussie shores previously and left shattered wrecks with little or no international future. On the other hand, he might boost his reputation immeasurably down here, a la Mr Vaughan.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think Cook has a chance, i know he's doesn't score that fast, but you don't have to if your good enough, just look at Dravid.

Cook looks to have all the attributes to become a fantastic player, and i think if he does become as good as i hope he will be, he will also become a superstar.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Alastair Cook. Hes a little limited in his scoring shots, but that should get better over time as he gets more settled in international cricket. The important thing is that the technique and application are there. The stroke laden double centuries will come in due course.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
Can't look beyond Pietersen tbf.. I also think Dhoni will sort himself out
Agreed on both counts.

Anyway my predictions (I'm going to ignore superstar, and just mention players I reckon will eventually be the best around, i.e. the next Dravid, Kallis, Inzy, Hayden. Whether they become Sachin or Laraesque is way too difficult to predict).

-Pietersen (Most confident about. Better to have all tha talent in the world but just dumb/selfish, then to be an intelligent cricketer with limited ability. Whilst these are more frustrating, its easier to break mental habits then teach stuff Pietersen already knows, in fact its almost impossible to teach stuff he can do)
-Michael Clarke
-Yuvraj
-Akmal (Out of form, but has shown what he can do under ridiculous pressure and tough batting conditions. You don't just lose that ability)
-Dhoni (plenty of time to fix himself up in tests, if he doesn't I'm still convinced he'll go down as a ODI great)
-Tharanga (Haven't properly seen him bat in tests to make a prediction, but I'm convinced he'll be a ODI gun)
-Bell (Underrated ODI player, could average >40 his whole career. Still not overly convinced regarding tests though, seems to fail against good attacks. Still has time)

Unfortunately have no idea regarding NZ cricket at the moment, and with your Jaques and other Aussie domestic cricketers with limited int'l experience, I'd prefer to just wait and see how they fair first. I've just chosen from int'l cricketers who I reckon have the time and talent to be part of the upper echelon of batsmen (whether it be both disciplines or just ODIs)

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From New Zealand there are a few players coming up through that could make a big impact for the Black Caps.

Jesse Ryder
Ross Taylor
Jamie How
Peter Fulton

These are probably the four most likely to be solid players in our team in upcoming years, I know for one that Fulton has an excellent FC record (averaging 47) and just needs to be allowed to bat in the right place.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Tharanga will be a better OD player than a test player but that's just me, Kapugedara definately has some potential but needs to spend some time in FC cricket because he's only about 20.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
I think Tharanga will be a better OD player than a test player but that's just me, Kapugedara definately has some potential but needs to spend some time in FC cricket because he's only about 20.
Upul never really been given a chance in Test Cricket, once gets a run, then he will be one of best Openers in the World.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono said:
-Bell (Underrated ODI player, could average >40 his whole career. Still not overly convinced regarding tests though, seems to fail against good attacks. Still has time)
He averaged 52.16 against Pakistan in Pakistan, then 93.75 against Pakistan in England. Pakistan has a good attack, especially when Shoaib is bowling well. It's a bit of a harsh statement to label him as a failure against good attacks, when he's only ever faced two good attacks, and only failed against one of them.