• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next superstar test batsman

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yep Sehwag is a very good test batsman but not a great one. He has a lot more to do in his career if he would like to be considered near a great.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Pietersen, Cook and one who hasn't been mentioned ...MS Dhoni. If he improves shot selection could be next Gilchrist.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Poker Boy said:
Pietersen, Cook and one who hasn't been mentioned ...MS Dhoni. If he improves shot selection could be next Gilchrist.

No.

In my mind, when I think about it, I think Cook has a much better chance to be great than Pieterson. I just see Cook having much better fundamentals, and that counts for a lot, especially when he starts building his game around that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
silentstriker said:
No.

In my mind, when I think about it, I think Cook has a much better chance to be great than Pieterson. I just see Cook having much better fundamentals, and that counts for a lot, especially when he starts building his game around that.
Pietersen's capabilities lie in the fact that he so often gives away his wicket rather than gets dismissed. It shows that if he can add some more application to his game, he could be an incredible batsman. Forget about fundamentals. Those don't matter much when you're capable of doing the things that Pietersen is. It's all mental for him right now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pietersen's capabilities lie in the fact that he so often gives away his wicket rather than gets dismissed. It shows that if he can add some more application to his game, he could be an incredible batsman. Forget about fundamentals. Those don't matter much when you're capable of doing the things that Pietersen is. It's all mental for him right now.

I think that they do matter. There have been plenty of examples of batsman coming on strong, but then quickly falling off once they were exposed. Not saying this will happen with KP, but similar to Sehwag, I think it can catch up to you.

Very few players have succeeded for a longer time without having at least solid funadmentals. I am not talking about perfect technique or anything, but just some basic footwork and stances.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Jayawardene has a very poor average abroad (39 versus 59 at home). If he does rectify that, there is a chance..

Two other people who are fairly young have made lots of test runs already:

Sehwag
Graeme Smith.
Dont see Smith becoming a truely great batsman, certainly he will never be an inspiring batsman.

Pietersen possibly but i can see him being a slighlty frustrating player for his entire career, he was always get out foolishly. England really need him Bell or Cook to go and become a truly superb test batsman. England have a team with an awful lot of good batsmen but none of them have reached brilliance. One of them has to go on and do this.

Mr Mxyzptlk

silentstriker said:
I think that they do matter. There have been plenty of examples of batsman coming on strong, but then quickly falling off once they were exposed. Not saying this will happen with KP, but similar to Sehwag, I think it can catch up to you.

Very few players have succeeded for a longer time without having at least solid funadmentals. I am not talking about perfect technique or anything, but just some basic footwork and stances.
Pietersen's technical issues are different from those of Sehwag's though. And I think Pietersen compensates for his downfalls better than Sehwag does. It's no secret what the flaws are, but the fact is that Pietersen continues to score runs and/or give his wicket away far more often than bowlers get him out based on those flaws.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
With age Pietersen will learn not to give his wicket away. He is the best english player since Graham Gooch, in my opinion, and will score many runs for England.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PhoenixFire said:
With age Pietersen will learn not to give his wicket away. He is the best english player since Graham Gooch, in my opinion, and will score many runs for England.
And hopefully Bell will score more runs than Pietersen, because in essence he's a better player IMO.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
With age Pietersen will learn not to give his wicket away. He is the best english player since Graham Gooch, in my opinion
Your opinion is wrong. He isn't English. Change it to England, then we'll talk.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And hopefully Bell will score more runs than Pietersen, because in essence he's a better player IMO.
I agree, Bell is just better than KP. He is the future for England.

Pothas

PhoenixFire said:
Im not so sure he will to be honest. The most sensible test inings i think he has ever played was his very first. I think he will always give his wicket away on a fairly regularbasis. however his massive natural ability means this may not stop him from becoming a great player.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Superstar wise I think it's KP, I think he can average in the mid-50s and entertain the crowds.

However, I also expect Ally Cook to average in the 50s, but superstar just doesn't sound right when talking about young Mr Cook. He's not that type of player, and doesn't seem to be that sort of person.

Objectively, I think Clarke will be averaging in the 50s in 5 years or so. And no I can't explian why, just a feeling.

Just to clarify, that's Michael Clarke of Australia, and not CW's much loved Rikki

PhoenixFire

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Objectively, I think Clarke will be averaging in the 50s in 5 years or so. And no I can't explian why, just a feeling.

Just to clarify, that's Michael Clarke of Australia, and not CW's much loved Rikki
Why not both? Rikki Clarke is clearly a better bat than Bradman.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Ponting that KP could be the next superstar in the mould of Lara & Tendulkar for the next decade at least, other good young bastmen are around like Bell, Clarke, Cook, DeVilliers, Jaques but ATM not sure if the have the ability to become a super-star bat like KP as yet.

Also i'll say Asif will be the next great fast--bowler of the next decade while Bravo & Watson will become top-class all-rpunders as well.

Perm

Piettersen, it helps that the way he plays is superstar material but he'll be a very good batsman.

simmy

International Regular
England can be happy IMO that Pietersen and Bell will be in their middle order for years to come.

I think the real superstars will come from Asia though. Yousef and Younis are awesome players.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
That's why it's called a prediction. :p
Given that Jack is in the know being a Victorian squad member and probably knows a fair bit about players, he may not be talking about the prediction.