• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell out to produce another World Class all-rounder? Target: Suresh Raina!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bouncer said:
is pathan a "world class all rounder yet"??
No.

I don't think that Chappell is trying to make him Raina an all-rounder. He is only encouraging a young man to work on another aspect of his game, because if conditions suit he might get 3 or 4 overs during an ODI. Nothing to major, its similar to what England are doing with Pietersen, encouraging him to develop other areas.

adharcric

International Coach
Perm said:
No.

I don't think that Chappell is trying to make him Raina an all-rounder. He is only encouraging a young man to work on another aspect of his game, because if conditions suit he might get 3 or 4 overs during an ODI. Nothing to major, its similar to what England are doing with Pietersen, encouraging him to develop other areas.
Exactlly. I've been advocating Raina as a part-time offie for a while now, but by no means is he all-round caliber. Turbinator, get a life. :D

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea firsty, I was being sarcastic about Pathan being a world class all-rounder.

Secondly, Pieterson is already an established batsman, I mean Raina has a long way to go compared to Pieterson. Pieterson can now afford to go focus on some other department. But Raina I think should just focus on batting right now.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bouncer said:
is pathan a "world class all rounder yet"??
Have you been smoking the same stuff Shoaib and Asif have been ? Haven't you seen Pathan threatening the world records of greatest allrounders like Gary Sobers, Ian Botham, Imran Khan. It would be close to blasphemy if you even spoke of Kapil and Irfan in the same breath.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
No.

Of course, Raina's main skill(batting) has already been mastered, so obviously Chappell needs to focus on his bowling skills.

As for comparison with KP, KP averaged 63 after 31 matches, Raina averages 29.

Perm

You know I wasn't comparing their batting, but I was comparing the situation. Pietersen has been told to work on his bowling and he is, I beleive Suresh Raina is doing exactly the same thing. The Indian media are hyping this up way too much, as if he's going to be a world class allrounder.

adharcric

International Coach
Perm said:
You know I wasn't comparing their batting, but I was comparing the situation. Pietersen has been told to work on his bowling and he is, I beleive Suresh Raina is doing exactly the same thing. The Indian media are hyping this up way too much, as if he's going to be a world class allrounder.
This time, it's not the Indian media. Turbinator got excited about trivial news and Sanz did his thing. :)

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
Of course, Raina's main skill(batting) has already been mastered, so obviously Chappell needs to focus on his bowling skills.

As for comparison with KP, KP averaged 63 after 31 matches, Raina averages 29.
Thank you, exactly my point.

And in response to adharcric, I am not getting excited, all I am saying is why should Raina even focus on something else when he hasn't even mastered his first thing yet. As far as my statements about him being a world class allrounder go, I was obviously being sarcastic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Is Pathan a India-class bowler yet? Forget world class, and dispell any notion of world class all rounder.

This is the worst thing about some people - calm the hell down.

Let him establish himself. Give him room. Let him try a few things and fail a few times. Half the times these kids fails is because before they've scored their first run, they are annointed the next Tendulkar. These people read the papers, they know whats being said.

Set reasonable explanations please. Wasim Akram? Tendulkar? I feel sorry for people like Pathan, I really really do.

I mean just because I don't rate him very highly, doesn't mean I don't hope he finds a way to succeed. A part of me feels that a reason he's so lost right now is because he was annointed the next Wasim before he was even halfway to figuring out his bowling.

No wonder they crack under that type of scruitiny. They have as single bad day, and it just piles up to ridiculous porportions because they fail to live up to this mythical hype created by idiot fans. Let Pathan (and Raina) be. Let them learn their trade. How many years did it take Freddie before he figured it out?

World class all rounder...just the titles of threads like this make me want to punch people in the face.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:
Have you been smoking the same stuff Shoaib and Asif have been ? Haven't you seen Pathan threatening the world records of greatest allrounders like Gary Sobers, Ian Botham, Imran Khan. It would be close to blasphemy if you even spoke of Kapil and Irfan in the same breath.

or perhaps you need some medication too, Comparing very ordinary Pathan to Great, Sobers, Khan and Botham? he needs to improve alot his bowling skills, his place in indian team is not even guarnteed due to being battered in Pak, WI and Malaysia.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
magsi23 said:
or perhaps you need some medication too, Comparing very ordinary Pathan to Great, Sobers, Khan and Botham? he needs to improve alot his bowling skills, his place in indian team is not even guarnteed due to being battered in Pak, WI and Malaysia.
What are you talking man, he is the best allrounder ever to land on earth. Sobers and all are not good enough to wipe his shoes.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Is Pathan a India-class bowler yet? Forget world class, and dispell any notion of world class all rounder.

This is the worst thing about some people - calm the hell down.

Let him establish himself. Give him room. Let him try a few things and fail a few times. Half the times these kids fails is because before they've scored their first run, they are annointed the next Tendulkar. These people read the papers, they know whats being said.

Set reasonable explanations please. Wasim Akram? Tendulkar? I feel sorry for people like Pathan, I really really do.

I mean just because I don't rate him very highly, doesn't mean I don't hope he finds a way to succeed. A part of me feels that a reason he's so lost right now is because he was annointed the next Wasim before he was even halfway to figuring out his bowling.

No wonder they crack under that type of scruitiny. They have as single bad day, and it just piles up to ridiculous porportions because they fail to live up to this mythical hype created by idiot fans. Let Pathan (and Raina) be. Let them learn their trade. How many years did it take Freddie before he figured it out?

World class all rounder...just the titles of threads like this make me want to punch people in the face.
OMG people relax, for the last time, I was being SARCASTIC! In fact, I was criticizing Chappell and what he has done to Pathan. Sheesh, some of you guys are mad slow in understanding things.

And yes exactly what I am trying to say, LET THEM LEARN THEIR TRADE! Stop having them focus on other things.

Now adharcric and SS please tell me, after all this explaining, you guys have understood my point!!!

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
i say the only south africa and pakistan are the two best times with quality of alrounder right now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No. No he can't.
He needs to learn to stop throwing his wicket away. I think he can be a great player, but as I mentioned in the other thread, his fundamentals do concern me.

Of course, if Sir Viv was playing now, his fundamentals would concern me too...so that shows how much I know. :-O

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
strange, why doesn't he work with guys like Watson, Bravo & Oram who actually have potential to become world-class all-rounders for their sides.

Perm

aussie said:
strange, why doesn't he work with guys like Watson, Bravo & Oram who actually have potential to become world-class all-rounders for their sides.
Because he doesnt coach Australia, West Indies or New Zealand. That would be my guess.