• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India v Pakistan or England v Australia.

Dravid

International Captain
Which rivalry do you like to watch more? For me I like England and Australia in tests, and India and Pakistan in ODI's.

The atmosphere for India v Pakistan is ODI is amazing, especially when it's taking place in Eden Garden. A sold out crowd of 100,000+ coming to watch the game, what could be better than that? England and Australia ODI games are good to watch too, but I don't think have as much energy as India v Pakistan in ODIs.

In Tests it's England v Australia hands down. I still remember watching last years ashes, which was the only Ashes series I saw live on TV. The atmosphere at the ground was crazy, and the best for a test match. The amount of people going to watch those games was amazing, and it's more fun to watch them play a test match because they go all out at each other. I remember when England won by 2 runs, I think it was last year and how the whole crowd just started screaming at the top of their lungs. Thats the true spirit of a test match growd. The Ashes series will prove anyone wrong who says that test matches are boring.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to agree with you on that one. I think it's mainly because there is a long tradition between Australia & England in tests, and given there are so many ODIs played on the subcontinent it isn't surprising there is a strong rivalry between Pakistan and India in ODIs.

Perm

In test's there is no contest, Australia vs England is the ultimate experience. Even if it is quite one sided liked it was during the 1990's it was all about the history. In ODI's its easily Pakistan vs India becuase these two teams play alot more against each other in the short form of the game than England and Australia do.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i largely think it's because of the emphasis placed on the games in their respective countries. TBH compared to test matches, Australia couldn't give a flying f* about how they perform in OD'ers. Often the OD game is seen as the breeding ground for young talent and we can experiment.

In India and Pakistan I get the impression that OD is equally as important as test.

sideshowtim

Banned
Well I'm not sure how Indians feel about beating the Pakistanis and vice versa, but let me tell you now, there is no better feeling than giving the Poms a flogging.

adharcric

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
i largely think it's because of the emphasis placed on the games in their respective countries. TBH compared to test matches, Australia couldn't give a flying f* about how they perform in OD'ers. Often the OD game is seen as the breeding ground for young talent and we can experiment.

In India and Pakistan I get the impression that OD is equally as important as test.
That probably has something to do with the fact that in India and Pakistan, you'll find a lot more "casual" cricket fans. Even in India and Pakistan, the hardcore fans who really understand the sport (like the long-time members from the respective nations you find on CW) value test matches more than one-day matches. To the average lad on the street, one-day cricket is more appealling I'd think, and that's why it's huge in India and Pakistan.

Slats4ever

really? I find that hard to believe. There are very few die-hard cricket purists in australia. The majority of people find it a bit've a hobby. Whereas in India you always hear about the kids playing it on street corners. The ratio of beach cricket matches to street corners I thought equalled about 1:20

adharcric

International Coach
Well I wasn't saying that there are more die-hard purists in Australia, I was saying that the ratio of street fans to fans with a real understanding is much higher in India and Pakistan. Perhaps I'm having a hard time getting my point across. Or perhaps I don't even know what I'm talking about. :p

Dasa

It depends. The last Ashes was excellent viewing, but before that it was pretty boring for a while with Australia dominating easily. India vs Pakistan tends to be a pretty tight contest most of the time.

Johnners

Last Years Ashes series was IMO the best & most fiercely competed series between any two nations in the last 15 years. Personaly, i prefer Aust. vs. Eng clashes in both forms of the game as there is only 1 thing better than seeing Aust. thrash the living daylights out of England :cool:, and that is a match as closely/fiercely contested as they were between July & September 2005.

Below is a post i made when asked elsewhere of my thoughts on India v. Pakistan Clashes.

IMO Pakistan v. India Clashes come second only to the Ashes. There is no greater spectacle in any sport, than a fierce rivalry, and what better rivalry than one between neighbouring countries, both mad keen on cricket!

It was a pity to see such a long period with no Pak/Ind clashes due to the violence, disruptions caused due to fanatical fans, but it seems this time apart has brought the two countries together, and the split was for the greater good, as while the fans are still fanatical, they have a greater appreciation of what the game is really about.

Seeing Shoaib steaming in towards Rahul "The Wall" Dravid is a sight to behold, perhaps the most dangerous bowler when on song, against the worlds greatest defence, and arguably most graceful batsmen! Or Kumble, with his subtle variations, and steepling bounce, trying to outfox big inzy, there are few grudge matches in any sport around the world, that come close to matching this one!!

The next series poses to be a thriller, India has the prospect of having the little master back, and hopefully, shoaib will be fit for once. Add to this the fact that both teams are coming along in leaps and bounds, and are unveiling quite a few fantastic youngsters over the last 2/3 years (Their two wicketkeepers especially) will make the battle all the better.

So, there we have it, fanatical fans(thankfully a little less fanatical than 10-15 years ago) matchwinning players (Shoaib, Inzy, Yousuf, Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble) and rising talents (Akmal, Asif, Dhoni, Sreenath) what more could you want ???

India V Pakistan - A sight to behold!

simmy

International Regular
England v Australia for me. But only since it got competitive!

If and when Eng start getting pasted again I will be more than happy to watch India v Pak instead.

To be honest any of the four teams playing the other is a great series (especially outside the subcontinent where the pitches can make cricket an absolute bore)

Nishant

International 12th Man
i'll go against ind v pak in ODIs but am not too sure about the tests. As an indian fan, i would always rather watch india rather than any other team, but after last years ashes, in a neutral point of view, aus v eng is a better viewing in tests. However, we'' have to see in this years ashes. If the aussies are dominating again, it will be back to the same old, 'australia-winning-the-ashes-easily' times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Until about 2001 I reckon Aus vs. SA trounced any other rivalry. Used to look forward to those matches/series, whether ODI or test, a hell of a lot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
Disagree. I think Australia practically HAVE to win the World Cup next year if only to keep up appearances. And I think Cricket Australia is fully aware of that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Up until the 2005 Ashes, India & Pakistan easily, but now Ashes battles are seemingly getting more competitive.