• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The future of international cricket in Auckland

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the Rugby World Cup in 2011, it seems likely that a new stadium is going to be built somewhere in Auckland. What worries me is the absence of cricket in the discussion. In fact, cricket has been used as a con for Eden Park in the pros and cons lists for the options that are being discussed.

If a new stadium is built, cricket will either be left with the worst international venue in the world in Eden Park (it's terrible...a ball could deflect off a batsman's backside and go for six), an ironic outcome considering what the demands of rugby have done to the shape of the ground. But there's another possibility that'd be even worse. If rugby gets taken away from Eden Park, the huge residential value of the land could easily see it demolished, and if the new stadium doesn't reach the ICC's guidelines for stadia I don't think any more international cricket could be played in Auckland, NZ's biggest city.

This concerns me a bit, you could say.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Theres no chance that if a new Stadium was built it, NZ cricket board would make sure it's built to ICC standards?? Or do they have no say in the matter ?

_Ed_

I'm hoping they will...but they are keeping a bit too quiet for my liking at the moment.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
If a new stadium is built, cricket will either be left with the worst international venue in the world in Eden Park (it's terrible...a ball could deflect off a batsman's backside and go for six)
I didn't realise Craig McMillan had been recalled...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Eden Park is an absolute mess.
The Waterfront stadium has some merit. Maybe if they created that for Rugby and redeveloped Eden Park a little to turn it into a cricket ground? im not sure.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Make the waterfront stadium rectangular, knock down Eden park's North stand and terraces and replace them with a large grass embankment sheltered with a pavilion-type roof.

Oh, and make it a bloody oval! :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
16 tins of Spam said:
Make the waterfront stadium rectangular, knock down Eden park's North stand and terraces and replace them with a large grass embankment sheltered with a pavilion-type roof.

Oh, and make it a bloody oval! :)
But surely rugby is a far more dominant sport, and has more of a say in the new stadium?

Mind you, Cricket has to play second fiddle to Rugby as well in SA, and we don't have to put up with playing at Rugby grounds..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just ridiculous that Hamilton (barely a city) of all places has a purpose-built cricket ground yet Auckland (our biggest city) can only offer the concrete mess that is Eden Park.

_Ed_

Tim said:
Eden Park is an absolute mess.
The Waterfront stadium has some merit. Maybe if they created that for Rugby and redeveloped Eden Park a little to turn it into a cricket ground? im not sure.
Sounds like a good idea to me, but I wonder where the money will come from with so much going into the new stadium.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
But surely rugby is a far more dominant sport, and has more of a say in the new stadium?

Mind you, Cricket has to play second fiddle to Rugby as well in SA, and we don't have to put up with playing at Rugby grounds..

Yeah, Ofcourse rugby is the dominant sport. This new stadium is being touted for the rugby world cup in 2011. But, if overseas cricket fans hadnt already realised, Auckland doesnt have a cricket ground. .....at all......... Even the Auckland domestic team play their matches on Eden park no 2 ground, which is a rugby training ground for the auckland rugby team........a training ground.!...............It has the worst pitch in the world cos its dug up every year by rugby players, and the boundaries are smaller than Eden park no 1. My grandma could hit a six...

Auckland desperately needs a cricket ground. Eden park originally was a cricket venue but rugby took over......And now with the rugby season being so long its very difficult to play cricket in Auckland.

Im with you guys 100%. Build the waterfront stadium, and revamp Eden park into a cricket venue as was originally intended. Knock down that god awful North stand (whose idea was it to make the colour grey????.)that creates the shadow on the feild and the wet patches it creates, make an oval.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Eden Park and the "waterfront stadium" are two different places. I'm saying build the new one exclusively for football, and redevelop Eden Park into a nice suburban cricket oval.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
16 tins of Spam said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Eden Park and the "waterfront stadium" are two different places. I'm saying build the new one exclusively for football, and redevelop Eden Park into a nice suburban cricket oval.
Good idea but I can't see it happening, where's the money coming from? I doubt the Government would provide a large amount of money because of the lack of return that NZ as a country will receive.

_Ed_

An article in the Herald today made me laugh. "It makes no sense to adapt a perfectly-suited cricket ground in Eden Park to what would be a comprimise two both cricket and rugby."

Perfectly-suited cricket ground? It has the shortest square boundaries in the world, far shorter than the ICC regulations require!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
In my opinion

Eden Park should be converted into a full fledged concert venue + International Soccer Venue + Full fledged Soccer venue to develop NZ Soccer.. that circus tent 'super top' as a concert venue is a joke!!

This new waterfront venue should be for full purpose Rugby International + Auckland NPC + Most Super 12 games.

North Harbour stadium should be redeveloped to be a full purpose cricket stadium + North Harbour NPC + few super 12 games + Few Rugby league games + Knights Soccer League + Capacity to hold International Rugby games.

Ericcson Stadium should be developed for Rugby League primarily.. Plus it could hold a few NPC games there as a neutral venue for auckland and harbour for the crowd down south and around.

Regarding Transportation to N.Harbour Stadium.. the new busways are being developed on the motorway to allow buses to run direct from city to albany + other places on the shore directly, which would make trasportation a little efficient.. this would allow them to restrict parking all around the stadium and subsidize transport on matchdays to allow everyone to catch the bus etc..
Alternative route is on matchdays ferries should become more available from City to Devonport and buses could take people from there to Harbour stadium.. this would increase income for the growing local industry around the North Shore region aswell.
Otherwise there is a lot of land being developed around the N.Harbour stadium area..and cars can easily get a parking spot..
For everyone coming from the city they would use the motorway to access N.Harbour stadium via public transport/private transport..
Everyone coming from around N.Shore region could either use the motorway or use public transport/private transport that uses the Old Albany highway..

_Ed_

Sounds good. But if the waterfront stadium is going to cost $700million it might be hard to find the money.