Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of international cricket in Auckland

The future of international cricket in Auckland

With the Rugby World Cup in 2011, it seems likely that a new stadium is going to be built somewhere in Auckland. What worries me is the absence of cricket in the discussion. In fact, cricket has been used as a con for Eden Park in the pros and cons lists for the options that are being discussed.

If a new stadium is built, cricket will either be left with the worst international venue in the world in Eden Park (it's terrible...a ball could deflect off a batsman's backside and go for six), an ironic outcome considering what the demands of rugby have done to the shape of the ground. But there's another possibility that'd be even worse. If rugby gets taken away from Eden Park, the huge residential value of the land could easily see it demolished, and if the new stadium doesn't reach the ICC's guidelines for stadia I don't think any more international cricket could be played in Auckland, NZ's biggest city.

This concerns me a bit, you could say.

Theres no chance that if a new Stadium was built it, NZ cricket board would make sure it's built to ICC standards?? Or do they have no say in the matter ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

I'm hoping they will...but they are keeping a bit too quiet for my liking at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    If a new stadium is built, cricket will either be left with the worst international venue in the world in Eden Park (it's terrible...a ball could deflect off a batsman's backside and go for six)
    I didn't realise Craig McMillan had been recalled...

Tim
    Eden Park is an absolute mess.
    The Waterfront stadium has some merit. Maybe if they created that for Rugby and redeveloped Eden Park a little to turn it into a cricket ground? im not sure.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Make the waterfront stadium rectangular, knock down Eden park's North stand and terraces and replace them with a large grass embankment sheltered with a pavilion-type roof.

Oh, and make it a bloody oval!

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    Make the waterfront stadium rectangular, knock down Eden park's North stand and terraces and replace them with a large grass embankment sheltered with a pavilion-type roof.

Oh, and make it a bloody oval!
    But surely rugby is a far more dominant sport, and has more of a say in the new stadium?

Mind you, Cricket has to play second fiddle to Rugby as well in SA, and we don't have to put up with playing at Rugby grounds..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Tim
    It's just ridiculous that Hamilton (barely a city) of all places has a purpose-built cricket ground yet Auckland (our biggest city) can only offer the concrete mess that is Eden Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Eden Park is an absolute mess.
    The Waterfront stadium has some merit. Maybe if they created that for Rugby and redeveloped Eden Park a little to turn it into a cricket ground? im not sure.
    Sounds like a good idea to me, but I wonder where the money will come from with so much going into the new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    But surely rugby is a far more dominant sport, and has more of a say in the new stadium?

Mind you, Cricket has to play second fiddle to Rugby as well in SA, and we don't have to put up with playing at Rugby grounds..

Yeah, Ofcourse rugby is the dominant sport. This new stadium is being touted for the rugby world cup in 2011. But, if overseas cricket fans hadnt already realised, Auckland doesnt have a cricket ground. .....at all......... Even the Auckland domestic team play their matches on Eden park no 2 ground, which is a rugby training ground for the auckland rugby team........a training ground.!...............It has the worst pitch in the world cos its dug up every year by rugby players, and the boundaries are smaller than Eden park no 1. My grandma could hit a six...

Auckland desperately needs a cricket ground. Eden park originally was a cricket venue but rugby took over......And now with the rugby season being so long its very difficult to play cricket in Auckland.

Im with you guys 100%. Build the waterfront stadium, and revamp Eden park into a cricket venue as was originally intended. Knock down that god awful North stand (whose idea was it to make the colour grey????.)that creates the shadow on the feild and the wet patches it creates, make an oval.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Eden Park and the "waterfront stadium" are two different places. I'm saying build the new one exclusively for football, and redevelop Eden Park into a nice suburban cricket oval.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Eden Park and the "waterfront stadium" are two different places. I'm saying build the new one exclusively for football, and redevelop Eden Park into a nice suburban cricket oval.
    Good idea but I can't see it happening, where's the money coming from? I doubt the Government would provide a large amount of money because of the lack of return that NZ as a country will receive.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

We can dream can't we?

Rather than re-developing Eden Park, I think re-developing the outer oval at North Harbour Stadium would be a better option.

I was there for the Cricket Max back in 2001 and it was a great ground with real potential IMO.

You can see photos here:

http://www.cricketweb.net/photos/pho...egoryIDAuto=31

http://www.cricketweb.net/photos/pho...egoryIDAuto=32

Hey, good idea. Didn't think of that. Is public access any good?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information