• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The future of international cricket in Auckland

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not going to happen of course, but I think this is a brilliant idea.

http://www.wakastadium.co.nz

We're going to have to spend plenty of money regardless so it would be nice to do it properly...but this might just be a bit over the top. I love it though.

_Ed_

Auckland City Council votes in favour of waterfront, Auckland Regional Council (who own the Port) votes for Eden Park.

Loving the unity among Auckland's councils....AGAIN.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
Auckland City Council votes in favour of waterfront, Auckland Regional Council (who own the Port) votes for Eden Park.

Loving the unity among Auckland's councils....AGAIN.
Time to give Christchruch the stadium. Like Mr Mallard said he would if they didn't agree on something.

_Ed_

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3880474a10,00.html
Eden Park it is.

Apparently it won't be able to hold tests though so we're still looking for a test venue in Auckland. Western Springs is said to be a possibility.

Why not develop it to host ODIs too? I don't like the idea of tests and ODIs being at different grounds (although it does work in Wellington, but that's got the tradition that goes with the Basin).

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3880474a10,00.html
Eden Park it is.

Apparently it won't be able to hold tests though so we're still looking for a test venue in Auckland. Western Springs is said to be a possibility.

Why not develop it to host ODIs too? I don't like the idea of tests and ODIs being at different grounds (although it does work in Wellington, but that's got the tradition that goes with the Basin).

Dont like the idea of Western springs,..apparently they have some rowdy neighbours, around there. I am all for a new purpose built cricket ground in Auckland somewhere but Western Springs is pretty old and in a not so appealing area.

I thought Albany had some merit, with space to burn and no neighbours to annoy, it seems perfect although maybe a little far from the main part of Auckland. And yeah, I totally agree Ed, it should be for one dayers and tests...lets face it, we only get 20 or 30,000 when we play a one dayer anyway so lets build a smallish purpose built cricket ground (with plans for later extensions, when needed) and give Auckland cricket a home.

At Albany there may even be enough space to have two grounds like at Eden park. A small grassed enbankment one for tests and domestic cricket, like the Basin, and one right next door, for one dayers. Its essentially two grounds, but at the same place. I think the idea of sitting on a grass enbankment might get a few more people to the test matches rather than sitting in a concrete jungle like Eden Park. It would also help the groundsmen who could prepare one pitch when the other one was being used, i.e. a domestic game right before an international or something.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I also wonder about the quality of the turf at Eden PArk, especially around the boundaries. If its going to be developed and the stands get much higher then the sun will have less of a chance to get in there.

We already have problems with the newer ASB stand that has that wet patch in front of it everytime it rains. The sun cant get in there and it just becomes mud. You can get away with that in Rugby but not in cricket. In cricket the ground needs to be well grassed and perfectly flat everywhere.

If the side the terraces are on becomes much larger then the sun will not get in for the morning, and the if the old western stand gets developed then it will block the sun in the evening so it cant dry the day before a one dayer. We saw the state of the ground at Cardiff ( I know its much bigger) but even if the area around the boundaries was too wet, you couldnt play a game of cricket on it, even if the pitch was perfect. We might have to have 2 or 3 full days without rain in Auckland (impossible) to have the ground perfect for a one dayer. So a new ground seems the right way to go. and North harbour has the largest area for growth.

_Ed_

Very good points, I hope it happens. We'd never sell out an ODI at Eden Park with 60,000...except maybe the World Cup semi in 2015, even then probably only if NZ's in it.