• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players most kindly treated by selectors

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
Brett Lee
:-O

Didn`t get picked for countless Test-series after proving himself in ODIs and Domestic Cricket. Gun ODI bowler.

And for those who say Bracken, shut up. Proven ODI bowler and has had limited chances in Tests. Go away, no-one wants you here.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:
:-O

Didn`t get picked for countless Test-series after proving himself in ODIs and Domestic Cricket. Gun ODI bowler.

And for those who say Bracken, shut up. Proven ODI bowler and has had limited chances in Tests. Go away, no-one wants you here.
I do not deny that Brett Lee is an amazing ODI bowler. But, please...this guy got a free ride in the test side when he did nothing for 2 years. Consistently has series averages of over 30-35 and didn't take a 5 wicket haul for something like 2 years. Was an absolute joke he continually was selected when an in form bowler like Bichel was continually 12th man.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Regardless of whether you have have a decent point, it`s a feat that all your posts come back to Queenslanders. :p

Mister Wright

Nnanden said:
Regardless of whether you have have a decent point, it`s a feat that all your posts come back to Queenslanders. :p
Hey, not my fault that Queenslander continually get shafted by the selectors. But, there's no denying that Bichel was in tremendous form when he was being overlooked for Brett Lee.

Johnners

Mister Wright said:
Totally agree with Neil on this one. Clapo's vandetta against Hayden is disturbing IMO, espeically given that he is a Queenslander himself. So many consecutive years scoring 1000+ runs for his country deserves extended selection. Keep in mind he was only 1 test away from being dropped, and since then he's gone on to be as strong as ever and Australia are better off for it, especially considering another Ashes series on the way.
In hindsight it was a good decision to keep him in the team, i'm not denying that, and yes he deserved extended selection due to past record... but imo it was extended 2/3 tests to far. In any case, my vendetta against Hayden is due to the fact that Mabo never got a test cap, something which imo hayden denyed him of the opportunity :dry:

As for Brett Lee, he was given favourable selection in the hope taht he would come good. IMO his elbow injury had a lot to do with his poor form though. Bichel still should've been picked though... just cause he's a queenslander :D

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
In hindsight it was a good decision to keep him in the team, i'm not denying that, and yes he deserved extended selection due to past record... but imo it was extended 2/3 tests to far. In any case, my vendetta against Hayden is due to the fact that Mabo never got a test cap, something which imo hayden denyed him of the opportunity :dry:

As for Brett Lee, he was given favourable selection in the hope taht he would come good. IMO his elbow injury had a lot to do with his poor form though. Bichel still should've been picked though... just cause he's a queenslander :D
Maybe the selectors should have taken another opener on the Ashes tour, but the fact is they didn't. Hayden's form prior to the Ashes series wasn't so dire to suggest that he was close to being dropped, so no need to take another opener especially given Hayden's outstanding record. You can't just bring players into a touring squad (unless of injury) just because their are a lot of players playing in that country. And Hayden's Ashes tour wasn't that bad when compared to the other Australian batsmen.

You can't keep selecting a player in the hope that they will come good, especially when there is a player so close to the team performing so well.

Last edited:

Johnners

Mister Wright said:
Maybe the selectors should have taken another opener on the Ashes tour, but the fact is they didn't. Hayden's form prior to the Ashes series wasn't so dire to suggest that he was close to being dropped, so no need to take another opener especially given Hayden's outstanding record. You can't just bring players into a touring squad (unless of injury) just because their are a lot of players playing in that country. And Hayden's Ashes tour wasn't that bad when compared to the other Australian batsmen.

You can't keep selecting a player in the hope that they will come good, especially when their is a player so close to the team performing so well.
You had a point there until the last sentence..... :blink: it totally contradidcted your argument

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
You had a point there until the last sentence..... :blink: it totally contradidcted your argument
That comment was in reference to Brett Lee. Who in the Ashes squad should have been selected instead of Hayden?

You cannot seriously compare keeping a guy in there who has proven to be and I quote Wisden on this one the best batsman of the decade and keeping a guy in who, apart from his first 5 tests, has hardly been a consitent performer at test level.

Johnners

ahhhhhhhhh that makes sense now..... No-one could've replaced Haydos at the top of the order, however, i do think they should've taken an extra player for that very reason.

Mister Wright

NZTailender said:
After Warnie, Katich is the best captain in the country IMO...
Not to sure on that one. Langer & Mabo are pretty good captains. Mabo's record is an amazing one. Probably doesn't use his spinners as well as he could, but that's what happens when you have a wealth of fast bowlers.

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
ahhhhhhhhh that makes sense now..... No-one could've replaced Haydos at the top of the order, however, i do think they should've taken an extra player for that very reason.
Neither Hayden's nor Langer's form was bad enough to justify an extra opening batsman. And at that time, Hussey's value as a middle order batsman was unknown and therefore wasn't taken as an extra opening option.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
I still question why Ganguly is considered Indias best ever captain!!! I just dont get it
There are many reasons, but I will mention a few :-

1.India is a diverse country and and almost every player speaks different language, comes from a different background and to get such a diverse bunch to think like one unit is a daunting task and Ganguly was pretty successful at doing so.

2. He probably was the only or at least the first Indian captain to rise above regional parochialism and that is something even the immortals like Kapildev and Sachin Tendulkar couldn't manage.

3. That he took the Indian team at the worst time in the history of World (or at least Indian) Cricket and lead them with distinction all over the world.

4. He experienced worst of cricket administration in India and was shunted for close to 5 years and when he came back people claimed that he came from Quota and what not, but being the fighter he was he showed it to the world that his selection was fully justified and there was no such quota. He showed the same fighting qualities as a captain and as the leader of his team. He protected his players from the ugly cricket administration in India, he made sure he got the first professional coach. He backed the talented players

I can go on and on about why he is India's best captain..but wont because, being the well informed individual you are, I am sure you know all that but the Aussie in you always gets better of you. I am sure you will ignore all that and continue the same rant next time a discussion about Ganguly takes place.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, currently Indian selectors are being very charitable to one Mr. Irfan Pathan.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig MacMillan.

I don't think he could have done more to get dropped... but he didn't for a long time. Very strange.

Daniel "one-way-to-dismiss-batsmen" Vettori.

Average at best. How many times have we heard Fleming say "Vettori will be key for us"? And how many times have he been? I bet that ratio is approaching infinity. Thankfully we only play ODIs now, so it's not quite as noticeable.