• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players most kindly treated by selectors

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Clapo said:
Matt Hayden. Had any other batsmen been in as poor form as Haydos during his 15 month run without a century they would've been dropped.
Not many other batsmen perform well enough for a long enough period to deserve extended (and repaid) faith. Not even remotely comparable to someone like Sami who never did anything well in the first place...

Dravid

International Captain
Sachin without any doubt. With what he has achieved in his career, Sachin is a must in every Indian squad.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
I still question why Ganguly is considered Indias best ever captain!!! I just dont get it
Because before him, we never even won a test outside the subcontinent. ANd he instilled some fire. The players from India are all very different - he made it into a team and had the ****iness that ****ed the opposition off. India needed someone like that.

We've had batting talent for a while, but we never had the drive.

Say what you will about Ganguly, but he was what India needed, and I easily rate him as the best captain that I've seen for India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Sachin without any doubt. With what he has achieved in his career, Sachin is a must in every Indian squad.
Why would that be 'kindly' treated? He deserves his place, it's not done as a favor to the selectors.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
silentstriker said:
Because before him, we never even won a test outside the subcontinent.
Not true. In fact, Ajit Wadekar's side won consecutive series in Windies and England in 71.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Why would that be 'kindly' treated? He deserves his place, it's not done as a favor to the selectors.
Because even if he does bad for a couple of series, the selectors won't ever think against him.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
Not many other batsmen perform well enough for a long enough period to deserve extended (and repaid) faith. Not even remotely comparable to someone like Sami who never did anything well in the first place...
While thats true, i compare his situation with Damien Martyn, who had been easily our best bat for the exact same period that haydos was doing jack all, yet was dropped after 1 poor series, where he had 2 shocking decisions, and 1 unplayable ball.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clapo said:
While thats true, i compare his situation with Damien Martyn, who had been easily our best bat for the exact same period that haydos was doing jack all, yet was dropped after 1 poor series, where he had 2 shocking decisions, and 1 unplayable ball.
Martyn was very harshly treated not only in recent times, but earlier in his career as well. Was shafted.

Two wrongs don't make a right, no way could you drop Hayden.

Dravid

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
You honestly believe he should be dropped after a couple of bad series?
No, I never said that. But I'm just saying that the selectors don't even think about it.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
No, I never said that. But I'm just saying that the selectors don't even think about it.
They never think about it because he hasn't given them a good reason to. How's that being kind though?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Clapo said:
That's Marto being shafted rather than Hayden being kindly treated though, isn't it?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Neil Pickup said:
That's Marto being shafted rather than Hayden being kindly treated though, isn't it?
I guess it depends if you look at the glass half-Hayden or half-Martyn. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Do you know I can't honestly think of an occasion when an English test player has had an extended run of poor form & the selectors haven't dropped him.

I guess you could argue that Harmy probably doesn't deserve to be the automatic choice he is based on his form since our tour of SA. I think his retention says more about the paucity of other options than anything else tho, TBH.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have people got the wrong thread when they mention Katich? He's been anally raped by the selectors many times. Dropped for Symonds in 2004? Disgraceful call.

Sami has received a good run, as has Symonds (test cricket).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just look at Katich's face when he bats... that's pretty much the same reaction he has when the selectors are doing their thing.