• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The biggest entertainer in history?

sideshowtim

Banned
You can't say that watching Warne bowl and try and irk the batsman with some of the crazy **** he does isn't one of the greatest, most entertaining spectacles out there. He certainly is an entertainer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When in full flow there is just no better sight than BC Lara. He plays shots that no-one else can; genuinely touched by greatness.

Warney's obviously an old pro who loves the spotlight "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr Buchanan" & Fred is an absolutely inspirational figure for us English. :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Afridi, Jayasuriya, Tendulkar, Lara, Pietersen, Hussey, Flintoff, Warne and Muralitharan all spring to mind when thinking about entertainers of present.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sinatra, Deano, Sammy Davis - all great entertainers :blink:

Cricket:

Can't go past Bradman, based on what I've read and heard. I recall Bill Brown saying that when he opened the batting for Australia at home, he would get great support but if the openers went on after lunch the crowd would start getting restless and boo them for not getting out!!

I think it was Colin McCool who once said that he was playing in a test at the SCG and was next man in. Bradman got out, and McCool had to literally fight his way through the crowd members who had got up and left as soon as the Don got out. "I could have been wearing a false moustache and glasses for all they cared" I think was the quote.

Modern era - Viv, Lillee, Lara, Ambrose, Donald, Wasim Akram, Punter, Warne, Gilly, Fred, Pietersen, Sachin all spring to mind. The game is so much more aggressive now. I loved watching Darren Gough for England - great competitor - Merv Hughes similar for Australia.

As a purist though, I love watching Dravid bat when he's in form, and Laxman is also a favourite.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm surprised no-one mentioned Botham. May or may not be the best entertainer ever, but he emptied the grounds' bars like no other Englishman apart from Fred. Compulsive viewing.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Surprised Cairnsy hasn't been mentioned yet. When I was younger, he was basically the reason I watched cricket at all...

Slow Love™

International Captain
grecian said:
Hey dont forget gay men, btw Aussie, how ya doing:dry:
Haha, let's not go there.

Surprised nobody in this thread (unless I missed it) mentioned D.K. Lillee. While I was growing up, he had this nation wrapped around his little finger, watching his every move.

Viv's another good one, and so are Gilly and Afridi. Generally in this category, batsmen that put incredibly high value on their wickets are a bit naturally disadvantaged. As to bowlers, I find that Shoaib extremely entertaining, so it's a real friggin' shame to hear the news as to his and Asif's drug test results prior to the CT.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On reflection, for the purist, probably Gower and Mark Waugh who made batting look so effortless.

I remember when Mark Waugh's spot was in doubt at one point and an old bloke ringing the radio in Sydney and saying "Well, they can drop him if they want, but I'd rather walk from here to bl**dy Perth to watch Mark Waugh play one cover drive than trudge across the road to watch some flat track bully score 200".

Pretty well sums it up.