• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1966-85 World Test XI

Opening Batsmen for 1966-85 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
Surprised you fessed up, now a lot of Boycott Fans will be angry with you if he loses to Greenidge by 1 vote :)
:laugh: That would suck. But in that case, couldn't you guys just take my vote into account for Boycott?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie tragic said:
The closest I could find was the 1971-72 series against the West Indies where he scored 4 double-centuries on the tour, including the following Test scores (5-Tests):

223*, 21, 2, 95, 21, 259, 1, 50 = 672 runs @ 96.00

Pretty Impressive!
Thats the series aussie tragic, admittedly against one of the weaker bowling attacks the WI had, although Gibbs and Sobers were still quality.

Perm said:
Thats the series aussie tragic, admittedly against one of the weaker bowling attacks the WI had, although Gibbs and Sobers were still quality.
No,Sobers was an absolutely rubbish bowler & bowling average of 35(for someone who played on uncovered wickets) really shows that how crap he was.No one can deny that he's one of the greatest bastmen ever but he wasn't a good bowler & is definitely overrated as an allrounder.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It would be interesting to see the averages of the openers against the four pronged Windies pace attack..

oz_fan

International Regular
Pratyush said:
It would be interesting to see the averages of the openers against the four pronged Windies pace attack..
Amiss - Never faced the full WI pace attack. He faced Roberts and Holding and made a double hundered in the first innings when only one other English batsmen passed fifty.
Boycott - 41.43
Gavaskar - 41.38
Nazar - 18.40
Wessels - 58.00 - A third of Wessels innings were played at number 3.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jeez that's poor by Greenidge, given the regard he's held in and how far he's killing Boycs in the vote. (don't know that I'd vote for him again now). Is that average from just one match or similar?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh
Sobers was an absolutely rubbish bowler

Hmm, that's an interesting point of view that.
Just thinking that myself, from all accounts I've read I gathered that Sobers was a pretty good bowler.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Hmm, that's an interesting point of view that.
ha, it really is just because he averaged 35 doesn't mean he was crap, i'm sure stats don't show how good a bowler he was.

aussie tragic

International Captain
oz_fan said:
Greenidge - 17.9
Fredericks - 37.9
Haynes - 28.5
Not exactly fair as Greenidge only played 5 tests when both Lillee & Thomson played and he had a shocking 1975 series where he had 2 tests with scores of 0, 0, 3 & 8.

Note: Other tests were one in 1979 (34, 0) and two in 1981 (66, 8 and 8, 52)

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
aussie tragic said:
Not exactly fair as Greenidge only played 5 tests when both Lillee & Thomson played and he had a shocking 1975 series where he had 2 tests with scores of 0, 0, 3 & 8.

Note: Other tests were one in 1979 (34, 0) and two in 1981 (66, 8 and 8, 52)
5 test is more than enough... thats 10 test innings. thats pretty pathetic display.

I still voted for greenidge tho

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's really hard to rate the WI batsmen of that era, as they never had to face their own pace attack.

Boycs and Gavaskar IMO should win it, though Greenidge will probably win. Not that he doesn't deserve it, I just think Boycs was probably a little better.

Slifer

International Captain
I voted for Greenidge not becuz i actually thought he was better than Boycott but because his overall aggression did it for me.

aussie tragic

International Captain
R_D said:
5 test is more than enough... thats 10 test innings. thats pretty pathetic display.

I still voted for greenidge tho
Not really when you consider the first 2 tests were when he was just coming into the side in 1975 (and Walker, Gilmour, Thomo and Lillee all got him once) and also that only the tests that Lillee & Thomo played together were counted in oz_fan's stats.

The actual stats against "Australia" during the period are as follows:

Greenidge: 19 tests, 1056 runs @ 37.71 (2/6)
Fredericks: 15 test, 1069 runs @ 38.17 (1/5)
Haynes: 18 tests, 1161 runs @ 41.46 (2/10)

Slifer

International Captain
I also dont think u shood hold his stats against Australia against him. Their are very few batsmen who r great against all teams. Every batsman has that one (or 2 teams) team or that one place (or places) where they just dont perform.

bagapath

International Captain
sunny and greenidge for me. one defensive master technician to open with a natural stroke maker.

JBH001

International Regular
Well Gavaskar and Greenidge would be a great opening combo - defense and technique allied to aggression and power, but I really rate Boycott, and - to an extent - think Greenidge a little over-rated compared to either of the other two.

So, despite it making little or no difference, seemingly, I go for Boycott and Gavaskar.
(I pity the bowlers bowling at these two - would have to really work for their wickets)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just over a day to go on the Opener Poll and with 47 votes counted, the status so far is:

1966-85 World XI

Gavaskar
Greenidge

1966-85 World 2nd XI

Boycott
Turner

Are there any other selectors out there, if so please pick TWO openers