• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tatenda Taibu lines up for Namibia

Langeveldt

Soutie
Taibu lines up for Namibia

Cricinfo staff

October 8, 2006

Tatenda is now wearing the colours of Namibia rather than Zimbabwe © Getty Images
Tatenda Taibu, the former Zimbabwe captain, has made his debut for Namibia in the SAA Provincial Cup match against Limpopo in Windhoek.

In recent weeks there has been speculation about Taibu's playing future after an attempt to forge a career in South Africa hit problems. Discussions with Namibia have been ongoing for a couple of weeks and a few days ago the final parts of the agreement were confirmed.

Francoise Erasmus, a spokesman for the team, told Cricinfo: "He will be with our squad for the remainder of the season. It is something we have been discussing for a while and Tatenda seems very excited by the situation.

"His wife is moving over the join him next week and we are keen to make it a long term arrangement. It would be terrific to have someone of his quality."

However, any thoughts of an international return will still have to wait. Erasmus confirmed there are a number of ways Taibu could try and qualify, but it would take five years of living in Namibia for him to qualify to play international tournaments.

Namibia are part of the SAA provincial Cup as an invitational side so the same qualification rules don't apply meaning Taibu is eligible to slot straight into the team, a situation that has been agreed by Cricket South Africa. Taibu started with 21, batting at No.3, as Namibia eased to a 168-run win.

© Cricinfo

Quality stuff, I'm glad he didnt go to SA and clog up the system, his expertise and talent will be really valuable for Namibia.. And I wish him the best of luck

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see really, I doubt many of the South African provinces would have considered him because it would've taken four years for him to be eligible for SA. He should do well at Namibia and help the other youngsters.

Natman20

International Debutant
Cant help but think thats the last ill ever see of him now. Hopefully he could help development of cricket there

adharcric

International Coach
Can't understand why he doesn't just go to England if SA doesn't work out. He's dealing a severe blow to his international career here. Poor move IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Very poor move. He definatly needs to go to a Test nation, as adharcric says. Wherever he goes, there will be a 4-5 year eligibility requirement and its better for his cricketing and financial future if he goes to a country where the domestic structure is professional.

But I have to agree that this is the last we will see of him if he does goto Namibia.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think some of you guys read the article thoroughly or perhaps I am misinterpreting it, as I understand it Tatenda Taibu is playing his domestic cricket in South Africa for Namibia. It hasn't said whether or not Taibu has planned to make this a permanent change, in fact it could just be an arrangement for the current domestic season in SA until he finds somewhere more suitable to try and ply his trade and perhaps regain international honours.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Maybe he just wants to play for a team who hes guarenteed to have a place in in 5 years time? I'm very doubtful he's good enough for either SA or England

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Maybe he just wants to play for a team who hes guarenteed to have a place in in 5 years time? I'm very doubtful he's good enough for either SA or England

For his financial future, he would be better off in a county side in England. And he can't be worse than Read. He is quite good behind the stumps, and is certainly a better batter.

Dravid

International Captain
He's going to score runs for Namibia for sure. I expect him to stay there for the rest of his life.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dravid said:
He's going to score runs for Namibia for sure. I expect him to stay there for the rest of his life.
Well if money was no object, given a choice between Namibia, South Africa, England and Zimbabwe.. I'd stay in Namibia..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Well if money was no object, given a choice between Namibia, South Africa, England and Zimbabwe.. I'd stay in Namibia..
You have a thing about one horse cow towns surrounded by nothingness? :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Great beer, Windhoek
Would probably be my favourite beer at the moment. Problem is that all the places I drink at seem to be falling out with the Brewery for some reason and its getting difficult to find it on draft.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
Would probably be my favourite beer at the moment. Problem is that all the places I drink at seem to be falling out with the Brewery for some reason and its getting difficult to find it on draft.
Are you a brandy drinker? Klipdrift? Richeleu? Wellington?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Are you a brandy drinker? Klipdrift? Richeleu? Wellington?
Never again after last Thursday :p
Ag man, I dont care what it is as its usually in a 10R double brandy and coke special.

I enjoy drinking it but it makes me silly

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Quality stuff, I'm glad he didnt go to SA and clog up the system, his expertise and talent will be really valuable for Namibia.. And I wish him the best of luck

Agreed, he will be a huge boost for the game there