Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tatenda Taibu lines up for Namibia

Pinball Champion!

Tatenda Taibu lines up for Namibia

Taibu lines up for Namibia

Cricinfo staff

October 8, 2006

Tatenda is now wearing the colours of Namibia rather than Zimbabwe Getty Images
    Tatenda Taibu, the former Zimbabwe captain, has made his debut for Namibia in the SAA Provincial Cup match against Limpopo in Windhoek.

In recent weeks there has been speculation about Taibu's playing future after an attempt to forge a career in South Africa hit problems. Discussions with Namibia have been ongoing for a couple of weeks and a few days ago the final parts of the agreement were confirmed.

Francoise Erasmus, a spokesman for the team, told Cricinfo: "He will be with our squad for the remainder of the season. It is something we have been discussing for a while and Tatenda seems very excited by the situation.

"His wife is moving over the join him next week and we are keen to make it a long term arrangement. It would be terrific to have someone of his quality."

However, any thoughts of an international return will still have to wait. Erasmus confirmed there are a number of ways Taibu could try and qualify, but it would take five years of living in Namibia for him to qualify to play international tournaments.

Namibia are part of the SAA provincial Cup as an invitational side so the same qualification rules don't apply meaning Taibu is eligible to slot straight into the team, a situation that has been agreed by Cricket South Africa. Taibu started with 21, batting at No.3, as Namibia eased to a 168-run win.

Cricinfo

Quality stuff, I'm glad he didnt go to SA and clog up the system, his expertise and talent will be really valuable for Namibia.. And I wish him the best of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Good to see really, I doubt many of the South African provinces would have considered him because it would've taken four years for him to be eligible for SA. He should do well at Namibia and help the other youngsters.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Cant help but think thats the last ill ever see of him now. Hopefully he could help development of cricket there

Can't understand why he doesn't just go to England if SA doesn't work out. He's dealing a severe blow to his international career here. Poor move IMO.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Very poor move. He definatly needs to go to a Test nation, as adharcric says. Wherever he goes, there will be a 4-5 year eligibility requirement and its better for his cricketing and financial future if he goes to a country where the domestic structure is professional.

But I have to agree that this is the last we will see of him if he does goto Namibia.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I don't think some of you guys read the article thoroughly or perhaps I am misinterpreting it, as I understand it Tatenda Taibu is playing his domestic cricket in South Africa for Namibia. It hasn't said whether or not Taibu has planned to make this a permanent change, in fact it could just be an arrangement for the current domestic season in SA until he finds somewhere more suitable to try and ply his trade and perhaps regain international honours.

Pinball Champion!
    Maybe he just wants to play for a team who hes guarenteed to have a place in in 5 years time? I'm very doubtful he's good enough for either SA or England

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Maybe he just wants to play for a team who hes guarenteed to have a place in in 5 years time? I'm very doubtful he's good enough for either SA or England

For his financial future, he would be better off in a county side in England. And he can't be worse than Read. He is quite good behind the stumps, and is certainly a better batter.

He's going to score runs for Namibia for sure. I expect him to stay there for the rest of his life.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    He's going to score runs for Namibia for sure. I expect him to stay there for the rest of his life.
    Well if money was no object, given a choice between Namibia, South Africa, England and Zimbabwe.. I'd stay in Namibia..

Well if money was no object, given a choice between Namibia, South Africa, England and Zimbabwe.. I'd stay in Namibia..

Money is rarely not an object.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    You have a thing about one horse cow towns surrounded by nothingness?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    You have a thing about one horse cow towns surrounded by nothingness?
    Theres nothing wrong with Windhoek

Theres nothing wrong with Windhoek
    Great beer, Windhoek
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Banned
    quite frankly dravid there is no chance of taibu staying there for the rest of his life let a lone the start of next season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information