• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Gibbs Reveal More Names*

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Sure, well after reading your points, Gibbs to me is less innocent than he was at the start of today.. So now we've got rid of all the South Africans because they overhead some chap talking about throwing a match,
Yes, if they didn't report it.

Langeveldt said:
can we get rid of Alec Stewart who IIRC was approached by a bookie, Mark Waugh, Shane Warne and half the Aussies who might have been in on the act?
If they heard and did nothing, yes.

Langeveldt said:
Not to mention the subcontinental players, who, even if totally innocent, saw and overheard shady people hanging around the Sharjah dressing rooms but didn't think anything more of what they were doing? Oh if they'd known?
Yup if they saw and heard about match fixing, then them too.

Don't you want to know that the people who represent your country have just a little bit pride and respect for the game they play?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Surprised he wasnt paid after the performance, especially if it was a substantial wad of cash
It's how they introduce it. Money first - you now have a debt. From memory, Cronje received a fair number of gifts before the serious demands started being made. Once you've taken money from them, you've committed yourself.

The bookies that paid Shane Warne and Mark Waugh for pitch reports were doing a similar thing, but they were trying to find an "in" into the team (with Gibbs, they already had Cronje in their pocket). First they pay for some innocuous favors, then, when Warne/Waugh are entrenched and enjoying the extras, a little more gets asked, then a little bit more, and then maybe, they're fixing aspects of matches. And because there's an implied "agreement", and much money has been spent on you already, there's also an implied threat that certain parties might have good reason to take something out on you if you refuse to keep playing ball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
Don't you want to know that the people who represent your country have just a little bit pride and respect for the game they play?
Yeah it would be great.. it would also be a very weird game without 90% of it's players :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Yeah it would be great.. it would also be a very weird game without 90% of it's players :laugh:

But the game would be better for it (and no it would probably be more like 20%). Wanting money is different from willing to sell the game out to the highest bidder.

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
But the game would be better for it (and no it would probably be more like 20%). Wanting money is different from willing to sell the game out to the highest bidder.
I think we've already got that covered :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Langeveldt said:
Because I don't know! He didn't underperform, no spectators were cheated by having to watch him underperform, but he said he took money.. What for?

Whoever paid him all this money got a pretty bum deal
trust me, he did try his best. Watch that innings again.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Langeveldt said:
Because I don't know! He didn't underperform, no spectators were cheated by having to watch him underperform, but he said he took money.. What for?

Whoever paid him all this money got a pretty bum deal
So, let me see.... The terrorists wanted to bomb the Ashes squads and the guys who were supposed to do the execution accepted it. Then, for some reason, they try and yet they fail, so they are not guilty. Let's free them all, then....... 8-)