• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Gibbs Reveal More Names*

FRAZ

International Captain
Slow Love™ said:
Anyhow, sorry, Sanz is right and we probably shouldn't hijack the thread with this - back to Gibbs.
Yup ! I just felt like discussing "Qayyum report" ... I guess the 'judge' in this case caught *(Cronje) the so called'big fish' . And now the momentum may divert to wards those findings cuz Gibbs is being considered as "witness" .
I guess it was me who discussed this issue a long long time ago here and I stated that "Big fish in this case " is not Cronje and these are those match fixers who have trapped him . And in the end it is the dumbness of the players because they did not know how to cheat and how to do acting on field (Gibbs) and that fixing mafia which is the root cause is still there ..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Interesting to see Gibbs confirming his confession. The "I forgot I was throwing the match" line seems a bit unlikely! I would have thought Gibbs had bigger worries than the justice of the SA criket board or ICC, or even the Indian police. I can't imagine that those who paid for the fix would have been very pleased when he made 74 - he'd have to be watching his back surely.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'm really worried that Allan Donald might have been implicated in all this.. After all, I've already seen one of my heroes go from the very top to the very bottom, I'm due another..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
I'm really worried that Allan Donald might have been implicated in all this.. After all, I've already seen one of my heroes go from the very top to the very bottom, I'm due another..
They should have found a way to send Cronje to jail, IMO.

I don't know if A. Donald is the type of player that I would think of fixing a match for money.

If he did though, he would deserve everything he gets. But, I highly doubt it. Very highly doubt it.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Indeed. The last person I thought would be involved in this kind of intrigue turned out to be a serious dark arter.

Legglancer

State Regular
Langeveldt said:
Lets Not jump the gun here .... Speculating on peoples guilt not fair to them or to the game. If their is anything substantial it will be revealed.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Legglancer said:
Lets Not jump the gun here .... Speculating on peoples guilt not fair to them or to the game. If their is anything substantial it will be revealed.
True, but it is has to be someone? And its pretty scary, hard not to think about it..

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Thats what we all thought in SA when Hansiegate first came to light.. Anyone can be bought out if the money is right
I don't think everyone can, but unfortunately I don't believe we can with any great certainty pick who can't.

I hope Donald isn't implicated also - I'm also a fan, and he seems a really genuinely good bloke. Having said that, there's no real reason to assume he might be, other than he's retired. I hadn't really thought about this up to now, but yeah, it must be a bit of a scary period for SA fans. Hopefully the other names Gibbs provided are a couple of no-hopers that no-one really cares about.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Gibbs himself has admitted that he was part of match-fixing and did accept money to score less. Whether he had a change of heart afterwards doesn't matter. Also I have no reason to believe him esp when he was involved in two runout and 74 isn't a huge score after he was dropped twice.
That is a bit odd actually considering that his chances came after he passed 20. It certainly looked like he was trying to get himself out all innings, yet common logic dictates that that it shouldnt be too hard to get yourself out early enough if you tried to. While i do think he was involved significantly more in the match fixing than he is telling us he was, i dont think that innings is the perfect example.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Langeveldt said:
If everyone was banned because of "what they know" rather than what they have actually done, I don't think we'd have many cricketers left playing cricket..
Really, Rich?

Cricinfo said:
Gibbs has admitted accepting money from disgraced former captain Hansie Cronje to score fewer than 20 runs against India in a one-dayer during a 2000 March-April tour. He subsequently scored 74 runs and said he had "forgotten" about the deal, but was suspended and fined by the South African authorities.

Is that enough "done" for you?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Cricinfo
Gibbs has admitted accepting money from disgraced former captain Hansie Cronje to score fewer than 20 runs against India in a one-dayer during a 2000 March-April tour. He subsequently scored 74 runs and said he had "forgotten" about the deal, but was suspended and fined by the South African authorities.
Sounds pretty genuine, from all reports Gibbs is not the brightest spark in the world.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
It's a flawless plan though, isn't it? No one will ever be able to tell if it's on purpose or not...
It would be waste of money cos he would perform poorly any way wouldn't it? :p

Last edited: