• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quote Quiz

Fiery

Banned
Damn.

5) Arthur Jepson

"If there was a prize for the most useless object in cricket, the Headingley scoreboard and Dominic Cork's zinc cream would both rate an honorable mention, but neither can compare to an umpire's light meter. This is another triumph for modern (or relatively modern) technology over common sense, and how much better it would be if we were back in the era of good old Arthur Jepson. "You can see the moon," said Arthur, on one Stygian occasion at Old Trafford. "How far do you want to see?"

archie mac

International Coach
1. Whats the source of the following line ?

1. If Ye Wicket is Bowled down, its Out.

Who said the following and in what context ?

2. No Game has given me more pleasure than these tussles with the professors.

3. When the ambition of a life time is fulfilled, when a schoolboy's dream comes true, something has gone from one's life.

4. If I happen to get hit out there dad, keep Mom from jumping the fence and laying into those pommy bowlers.

5. You can see the moon. How far do you want to see?
I only know number three and four without having an educated guess:wacko:

2. It must be one of the amateurs talking about the matches V the professionals

would it be one of these: WG, Lord Harris, CB Fry or Lord Hawke?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Damn.

5) Arthur Jepson

"If there was a prize for the most useless object in cricket, the Headingley scoreboard and Dominic Cork's zinc cream would both rate an honorable mention, but neither can compare to an umpire's light meter. This is another triumph for modern (or relatively modern) technology over common sense, and how much better it would be if we were back in the era of good old Arthur Jepson. "You can see the moon," said Arthur, on one Stygian occasion at Old Trafford. "How far do you want to see?"
Great quote from a great game. tbf it was a oneday match - Gillette Cup semifinal between Lancs & Gloucestershire IIRC, hence the late, late finish.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I only know number three and four without having an educated guess:wacko:

2. It must be one of the amateurs talking about the matches V the professionals

would it be one of these: WG, Lord Harris, CB Fry or Lord Hawke?
It was Jessop on the Gentlemen vs Players matches.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Damn.

5) Arthur Jepson

Right.

Jepson said this to Jack Bond in the Gillette cp tie between lancashire and Gloucestershire at old Trafford in 1971. Bond was complaining that it was so dark he couldnt see anything. The match ended at 10 to nine at night !!!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ok. Here is another set.

1. Of whom was it written :
"Easy to watch, difficult to bowl to and impossible to write about. When you bowled to him there werent enough fielders, when you wrote about him, there weren't enough words"

A bonus for telling who wrote this.

2. Of who was it written
"There was an extraordinary negligence about his batting, as though his thoughts were elsewhere; but what terrible things he did to bowlers"

Bonus : by whom

3. Of who was it written
His cricket is compounded of soft airs and flavours. And the very brevity of summer is in it.......The brevity in (his) batting is a thing of pulse and spirit, not to be checked by clocks but only to be apprehended by imagination.

By whom. Thats easy I think :)

4. Which English Captain said this
Fast bowlers are bully boys. They dish it out but they cant take it

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ok Here is a hint. (I think quotes must come with hints).

The first three were all said of the same batsman but by different people.