• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradmans average in contemporary cricket..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Interesting point well made...

However whenever I watch footage from Bodyline, the quick bowlers (okay they must have been lethal) but they never seem to have anything quite so pacey as the likes of Shoaib and Lee... They dont look much above modern medium pace to me.. Maybe it is the different style of footage playing tricks with me? And there were no speed guns of course...
Or poofy body armour - or poofy helmets - or poofy restrictions of one or two bouncers per over.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
Or poofy body armour - or poofy helmets - or poofy restrictions of one or two bouncers per over.
Just wondering if the bowlers were as quick as they are made out to be... Do you remember? :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Just wondering if the bowlers were as quick as they are made out to be... Do you remember? :D
Eeeeeeee, lad.

When I were a lad, fast bowlers used ter all work on t'night shift down t'pit - and that were when t'cricket team wuz playin' at 'ome. When t'team were away, they 'ad to work passage ter t'venue by shovellin' coke up film stars' noses. They didner 'ave boots either - they used to be allus bare-footed down t'pit. It were a 'ot environment anall, but they didner sweat cos they couldn't afford it. Sweat was fer t'posh kids wi' their modern, new-fangled ideas o' t'world bein' round and Australians bein' freed from t'chains. Anyrowd, t'coal dust used ter build up on t'feet and set rock 'ard, so they didner need shoes. When it *** ter t'cricket matches, allus they used ter do was bang a few nails inter t'feet an' they wuz as good as yer poxy Gunn and Moore's namby pamby boots wi' t'ankle supports. Better, in fact. Every side 'ad at least one good batter, an' ee were allus t'blacksmith. Side's skipper were allus a toff an'all, an' we used ter touch t'peak of us cap when we talked to ee. An' if ee dropped t'catch in t'slips off us bowlin' - allus a dolly an'all, 'ittin' 'im in t'guts - we'd say "Well stopped, Mr Brearley" cos we knew our place.

Deja moo

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Eeeeeeee, lad.

When I were a lad, fast bowlers used ter all work on t'night shift down t'pit - and that were when t'cricket team wuz playin' at 'ome. When t'team were away, they 'ad to work passage ter t'venue by shovellin' coke up film stars' noses. They didner 'ave boots either - they used to be allus bare-footed down t'pit. It were a 'ot environment anall, but they didner sweat cos they couldn't afford it. Sweat was fer t'posh kids wi' their modern, new-fangled ideas o' t'world bein' round and Australians bein' freed from t'chains. Anyrowd, t'coal dust used ter build up on t'feet and set rock 'ard, so they didner need shoes. When it *** ter t'cricket matches, allus they used ter do was bang a few nails inter t'feet an' they wuz as good as yer poxy Gunn and Moore's namby pamby boots wi' t'ankle supports. Better, in fact. Every side 'ad at least one good batter, an' ee were allus t'blacksmith. Side's skipper were allus a toff an'all, an' we used ter touch t'peak of us cap when we talked to ee. An' if ee dropped t'catch in t'slips off us bowlin' - allus a dolly an'all, 'ittin' 'im in t'guts - we'd say "Well stopped, Mr Brearley" cos we knew our place.
English please :dontgetit

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
orangepitch said:
English please :dontgetit
ROFL

Sorry, O/P.

It's a phonetic representation of an obscure colloquialism known as 'Dorkshire' a little bit of Derbyshire, a lot of Yorkshire and which many people think that we old country folk still speak.

Suggest you do a scan for Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch - and no, you'll still be none the wiser.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

However whenever I watch footage from Bodyline, the quick bowlers (okay they must have been lethal) but they never seem to have anything quite so pacey as the likes of Shoaib and Lee... They dont look much above modern medium pace to me.. Maybe it is the different style of footage playing tricks with me? And there were no speed guns of course...
Thats true I have noticed the same but it has a lot to do with the photography. We generally have long shots of the field and just one camera doing the job. A multitude of cameras and a quick change over from the bowler running in, to a closer look at his action and a a better view of the batsman from above the bowlers arm makes it much better visually.

Its like the difference current camera work makes to the disaster scenes we see in movies. After seeing today's movies, the old ones dont seem scary at all. And I am not talking of the stage props here. Its the quality of photography and how close the camera takes you to the action.

Then many of the batsmen's responses are jerky in comparison with new footage. This gets worse as you go to older pictures. Makes you wonder how Ranji could have looked graceful doesnt it ? Photography again.

Deja moo

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
ROFL

Sorry, O/P.

It's a phonetic representation of an obscure colloquialism known as 'Dorkshire' a little bit of Derbyshire, a lot of Yorkshire and which many people think that we old country folk still speak.

Suggest you do a scan for Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch - and no, you'll still be none the wiser.

From the few books I've read , thought it was Welsh. Shows how much I know ! :p

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
ROFL

Sorry, O/P.

Pretty much how Fred Trueman always talks then. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Pretty much how Fred Trueman always talks then. :D
If I'd have said "corridor" a few times, it could equally have been Boyks.

Apart from the fact that my missus is still standing up.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:

I asked a contemporary of Larwood's how fast Lol was. Peter Judge told me that he reckoned Larwood was about the same pace as Malcolm Marshall (though he didn't see Larwood in Australia, where he was reckoned to be rather quicker). He himself was about Gus Fraser's pace, by his own estimation, and thought to be quite nippy in his day. Larwood was the fastest bowler in the world by miles.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers,

Mike

Langeveldt

Soutie
badgerhair said:
I asked a contemporary of Larwood's how fast Lol was. Peter Judge told me that he reckoned Larwood was about the same pace as Malcolm Marshall (though he didn't see Larwood in Australia, where he was reckoned to be rather quicker). He himself was about Gus Fraser's pace, by his own estimation, and thought to be quite nippy in his day. Larwood was the fastest bowler in the world by miles.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for clearin that up....