View Poll Results: Can Cricket Take Over Soccer?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea ofcourse, but I won't be alive to see it.

1 2.00%
  • Yea, pretty soon.

1 2.00%
  • Not a chance.

45 90.00%
  • Who wants it to take over Soccer?

3 6.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Cricket Take Over Soccer?

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

Can Cricket Take Over Soccer?

As we all know, Soccer, undoubtedly, is the world's most popular sport. It is a sport that spans the entire globe. It is a sport so accessible that you'll see even little African kids running around playing it barefeet. People, no matter what background (even in North America, where Soccer doesn't hold much respect), don't fail to tune into to one of the most popular sporting event in the world, the FIFA Soccer World Cup which is watched by twice as many people as the Summer Olympics.

On the contrary, Cricket does not have the luxury of being accessible to a wide range of people. Cricket is an expensive sport to play, therefore, it has not found a home in many third world countries. Also, Cricket is mainly popular in Commonwealth nations and doesn't enjoy the same status as Soccer does around the world.

But can this beautiful sport, Cricket, ever takeover Soccer as the number one sport in the world. One market that Cricket lacks is the Asian market, excluding South Asia. While Soccer's popularity is now quickly rising in the Asian and North American countries, the ICC is having a tough time introducing Cricket beyond the Commonwealth countries. As a fact, according to FIFA, over 240 million people regularly play football in more than 200 countries in every part of the world. And the number one reason for this is the fact that it barely uses any equipment and has very simple rules, two things which Cricket lacks.

However, there is hope, as we all know Cricket touches every continent except Antarctica. Now only if we can spread this all accross each continent.

So the big question lies in front of us...Can Cricket ever take over Soccer and become the world's number one most popular sport?
    Last edited by Turbinator; 09-10-2006 at 07:47 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Not a chance. It requires too much attention, and you need to really get into it to enjoy cricket. Its hard to get into the game as an outsider, so it will never have the popular appeal of Soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

No.

Soccer's major beauty is its simplicity. All you really need is a ball, or something that resembles a ball, and a pair of shoes for each set of goalposts - and the rules can be dumbed down to the bare basics.

Only around the hairpin, in 4th.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Loots's Avatar
    The fact that there are only 10 major international teams (And in England, cricket is still the secondary sport) compared to the swathes of International football teams proves that football has a greater appeal across the World than the sound of leather on willow. As Voltman said, it's simplicity will keep it ahead of Cricket for a long, long time.
    "Bring me the toolshed, for I am hungry"

It may yet grow a great deal, but like soccer ... NO.
    Cricket is my personal favorite, but I still rate it as the #2 sport worldwide behind soccer (tennis in contention as well).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Soccer is such a simple, basic and enjoyable game. That's the reason its popularity will always be more than a sport like cricket which is more complicated and harder to get into if you are an outsider.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    No.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    No.

Soccer's major beauty is its simplicity. All you really need is a ball, or something that resembles a ball, and a pair of shoes for each set of goalposts - and the rules can be dumbed down to the bare basics.
    All you need to play cricket is a stick of rhubarb and an onion.

So there.

Cricket can never be the top dog but i still think it is one of the high profile world sports in terms of media coverage and interest and has the potential to grow even more.

Pinball Champion!
    Nope, I think Cricket can overtake Rugby, Tennis and Golf (if it hasn't already), but Football is the world's universal game
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    "With football even if you're not keen, you'll watch if it's on, but if they were playing Cricket in my garden I'd shut the curtains."

That's why cricket will never overtake footy - because the casual watcher will enjoy their Football, but Cricket is for the Cricket fans. If that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

As Voltman said, with soccer all you need is a ball (anything that can be used to substitute a ball) and then something to make goals. That's it.

Cricket you need, at its most basic level, a ball, bat and something that resembles a wicket. Then if you want to have it be reasonably similar to the 'real thing', real ball and pads etc. Far too much equipment.

That's obviously only one reason, but its a major one.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Given everything you said in the initial post, I'm amazed you still had to ask the question!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    One market that Cricket lacks is the Asian market, excluding South Asia.
    America?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information