• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Cricket Take Over Soccer?

Can Cricket Take Over Soccer?

• Yea ofcourse, but I won't be alive to see it.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yea, pretty soon.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Not a chance.

Votes: 45 90.0%
  • Who wants it to take over Soccer?

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
I always thought it was more popular then Rugby.
I doubt it's more popular worldwide than Yawnion, but it's miles ahead of league. (:() Would help if we got some decent media coverage...

Xuhaib

International Coach
steds said:
I doubt it's more popular worldwide than Yawnion, but it's miles ahead of league. (:() Would help if we got some decent media coverage...
Out of those countries that play both games only NZL is the country where Rughby is more popular for rest AUS,SA and Eng its almost equal, then rugby hal following in other parts of UK ,France and then some bits in Asia,South America and Pacific but on the other hand cricket rules in sub-cont in addition to support in the Carib islands so it seems pretty equal to me.

R_D

International Debutant
steds said:
i don't get how they different codes for well basically the same game. There few rule changes but there isn't that much difference b\w league and union. Why wouldn't they just turn into one code probaly would have a bigger following me thinks.

Like already been said, Football is such a simple game and cricket being so complicating unless you've been fed with cricket from early age its pretty hard to get into a sport like cricket.

R_D

International Debutant
probaly not.. but anyone who doesn't follow either codes will think they are the same game.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
No, they're totally different games with the same basic aim and skills. Saying they're the same is like suggesting baseball and cricket are the same game because there's a bloke who propels the ball, a bloke who stands at the other end trying to whack it with a bit of wood then run and a load of blokes fielding it.

And forming one rugby code could never happen. The scars are too deep.

R_D

International Debutant
steds said:
No, they're totally different games with the same basic aim and skills. Saying they're the same is like suggesting baseball and cricket are the same game because there's a bloke who propels the ball, a bloke who stands at the other end trying to whack it with a bit of wood then run and a load of blokes fielding it.

And forming one rugby code could never happen. The scars are too deep.
hehehe not really.
Cricket and baseball totally different and only a fool will think they are the same game where's in rugby well i wonder even if the code followers get confused about which game are they following right now :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Xuhaib said:
Out of those countries that play both games only NZL is the country where Rughby is more popular for rest AUS,SA and Eng its almost equal, then rugby hal following in other parts of UK ,France and then some bits in Asia,South America and Pacific but on the other hand cricket rules in sub-cont in addition to support in the Carib islands so it seems pretty equal to me.
In terms of global interest by sheer weight of people I'd say cricket probably edges Union. When you look at the populations of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka where cricket is the main show in town they far exceed the (titchy) countries where Union is king: NZ, Wales, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga. All added together their population is (I'm guessing) no more than 10 million.

Union has a healthy following (whilst not being the national sport) in England, France, SA & Ireland and is a sizeable minority sport in Scotland, Italy, Australia, Argentina & Japan.

Union's global reach is probably greater as there are pockets of interest in other countries too (US, Canada, Uruguay), but I would imagine broadcasters see cricket as the bigger potential cash-cow because of the sub-continent.

For mine the only sport that can compare (or potentially compare) to Association Football in terms of mass-appeal is basketball, which shares football's basic simplicity. All you need is a ball & a hoop.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Union's global reach is probably greater as there are pockets of interest in other countries too (US, Canada, Uruguay), but I would imagine broadcasters see cricket as the bugger potential cash-cow because of the sub-continent.
Gotta feel sorry for the cow :ph34r:

Dravid

International Captain
Cricket can surely take over Soccer in another 10-15 years. Cricket is developing day after day through out the world. About 5 years ago, the amount of Cricket played in the United States wasn't even half of what is being played now. Cricket is spreading out rapidly through out other countries too and more and more people are getting into the game.

cameeel

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Out of those countries that play both games only NZL is the country where Rughby is more popular for rest AUS,SA and Eng its almost equal,
Not really. The only two states in Australia that actually play rugby are NSW and Queensland. The rest of the country doesn't give a **** about rugby.

Cricket's easily the second most popular sport behind AFL (and maybe netball)

oz_fan

International Regular
I think that in Australia the most popular sports would be:
1. AFL
2. NRL
3. Cricket
4. Soccer - probably behind Union until the 2006 FIFA World Cup but since then support for soccer has definately increased.
5. Rugby Union

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I would put cricket well ahead of both AFL and NRL in terms of popularity in Australia for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it has support and draws crowds in every state. Secondly, while debate concerning the football codes is undoubtedly more passionate, that probably has more to do with the fact that it's Aussies vs Aussies rather than Aussies vs a whole bunch of dirty foreigners.

Any perceived drop in appeal for cricket in recent years probably has more to do with the dominance of the Australian national team than the popularity of the different brands of football. Even Aussies get sick of winning after a while :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
cameeel said:
Not really. The only two states in Australia that actually play rugby are NSW and Queensland. The rest of the country doesn't give a **** about rugby.

TBF, the population of NSW (including ACT) & QLD > population of the rest of Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
cameeel said:

Taking all of Australia into account, cricket is more popular than AFL.