• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Death Plot Revealed

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20547173-661,00.html

Ashes death plot revealed

Fiona Hudson and Mark Dunn

October 09, 2006 12:00am

THE London Tube bombers plotted to kill the Australian cricket team by spraying sarin gas into their change rooms during last year's Ashes series, a friend of the terrorists claims.

Al-Qaida commanders allegedly ordered the suicide bombers to get jobs at Edgbaston Cricket Ground and wipe out the Australian and England players.

They were instructed to release sarin gas, a highly toxic nerve agent that is one of the world's most dangerous chemical weapons.

But cricket-loving terrorist Shehzad Tanweer apparently objected and instead the terrorist cell perpetrated the July 7 underground Tube and bus bombings that killed 56 people and injured more than 700.

Play in the Second Test at Edgbaston, in Birmingham, started as scheduled on August 4 and England went on to win the thriller by two runs and level the series 1-1.

Among the Australian stars using the change rooms were Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist.

The Australian Test team has not been told of the plot.

More than a dozen terrorism suspects have since been arrested in Birmingham over other plots – including plans to blow up more than a dozen passenger flights between Britain and the US.

Sarin gas was first used as a terror weapon by the Aum Supreme cult in a 1995 Tokyo subway attack that killed 12 and left almost 1000 people sick.

Bombers Mohammed Sadique Khan, 30, and Tanweer, 22, are believed to have received the initial instructions to assassinate the Aussies while attending an al-Qaida training camp in Kashmir in December 2004.

Britain's Sunday Times quoted a man using the pseudonym Ahmed Hafiz -- a friend of bus bomber Hasib Hussain who detonated his deadly device at London's Tavistock Square.

Hafiz said he received information about the Ashes plot from members of his extended family who are involved in running the Kashmir terror training camp.

Tanweer and Khan had a fist fight over the cricket plot, he claimed.

"Tanweer had (Khan) in a headlock and the fight had to be broken up," Hafiz said.

Even after it was decided to go ahead with the July 7 attacks, the cricket plot remained as an option.

"It was always there, as Plan B," Hafiz said.

He claimed Khan emerged as the ring-leader of the July 7 bombers after he impressed camp commanders in Kashmir by ceremonially sacrificing a bull.

A senior British anti-terror officer yesterday said police were keen to interview Hafiz.

Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young said security for the Australian Test was beefed up after the Tube bomb attacks. But the team was never told of the alleged sarin threat.

Paceman Jason Gillespie last night hit back at critics who ridiculed his threat to abandon the Ashes tour because of player safety.

"My words were we would have to consider our options and that wasn't being silly, it wasn't being crazy," he said. "In light of what has come out it was totally justified."

Security expert Neil Fergus, a consultant for the Olympic Games and other major events, said it was unlikely al-Qaida had the ability to effectively use sarin as a mass-casualty weapon.

But if the alleged Birmingham plot turned out to be true, it was an important discovery.

"I think it shows an insight into the targeting methodology al-Qaida and those groups do have," he said.

"Although they do not have the capacity for chemical warfare at this stage, thank God, the fact they were thinking about targeting cricketers is important."

He said interrogations of captured al-Qaida figures had shown their desire to attack major sporting events.

The Australian team had previously cancelled three international tours -- to Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka -- because of domestic security concerns.

-------------------

After the fact Johnny's have little credibility as far as I'm concerned, it's just a good way for them to spread fear, but that is a fair chilling plot as far as the cricket and sporting worlds in general are concerned.

Dravid

International Captain
Yeah I heard about this earlier today. Really scary, I'm just happy it didn't get underway.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Absolutely chilling. What's even more terrifying is that it was the initial plan A for a terrorist strike against Britain, and that the London bombings were only conceived as an afterthought.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Plotting and hatching are two very different things, how many people have planned to kill George W? Or SP for that matter:D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
imagine if Flintoff, Ponting, Hayden, Warne, McGrath, Lee & KP had died, good god...

Dravid

International Captain
aussie said:
imagine if Flintoff, Ponting, Hayden, Warne, McGrath, Lee & KP had died, good god...
Would be really sad indeed. I'm just happy it didn't happen

archie mac

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
Bit early?
Maybe, and not meaning to offend anyone, but it sounds like nothing more then scare mongering to me tbh

If you take all of these threats seriously you would never leave the house :@

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
archie mac said:
Maybe, and not meaning to offend anyone, but it sounds like nothing more then scare mongering to me tbh

If you take all of these threats seriously you would never leave the house :@
That's true, and I take your point, but what would anyone but a newspaper have to gain by scare mongering?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Considering cricketers or most sports persons are easy targets (It is not that difficult to come close to them or meet them. Autograph hunters would know.) and attacks to them could create so much shock value, it is a surprise for me that cricketers haven't been attacked by terrorists till now, especially in India. It is scary and I hope it never happens.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
That's true, and I take your point, but what would anyone but a newspaper have to gain by scare mongering?
Terorists would have something to gain, and also some politicians (would justify all of these new AT laws). but this could just be paranoid me :unsure:

My take is once it has passed it is time to relax. For instance I would not joke about the current threat to the Pakistan team, now that should have us all worried, but once it has passed and nothing happens (lets hope) we should have a sigh of relieve and then make light to help keep us sane.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
And they matter more than the 52 people they actually killed instead how?

It would have been terrible, but it didn't happen and there's no point dwelling on who they could have killed, because they killed other people instead. And those people deserve to be paid respect, not forgotten about because it could have been some cricketers instead.

The hypocrisy in the "but cricket-loving terrorist Shehzad Tanweer apparently objected and instead the terrorist cell perpetrated the July 7 underground Tube and bus bombings" bit sickens me. He had no qualms about killing all those other people, though. ****.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
Absolutely. That article is built entirely around the claims of one person. There's no other evidence to back it up.

Some points to consider: (1) The real attack was carried out with explosives rather than gas. I would have thought that in planning a terrorist attack a clear idea of exactly what method to use would be a fundamental part of the plan - there's a huge difference between making gas and bombs, and the terrorists would have had to train themselves. (2) Why bother with gas at all? If they were going to infiltrate the dressing rooms then why wouldn't they just carry bombs in? They killed themselves in London, so obviously saving their own hides wasn't a priority. (3) Gas is a reasonably inefficient way of killing people unless you have infrastructure with that in mind (eg. the holocaust) (4) Al-Qaeda's MO overwhelmingly favours suicide bombing.

archie mac

International Coach
16 tins of Spam said:
Absolutely. That article is built entirely around the claims of one person. There's no other evidence to back it up.

Some points to consider: (1) The real attack was carried out with explosives rather than gas. I would have thought that in planning a terrorist attack a clear idea of exactly what method to use would be a fundamental part of the plan - there's a huge difference between making gas and bombs, and the terrorists would have had to train themselves. (2) Why bother with gas at all? If they were going to infiltrate the dressing rooms then why wouldn't they just carry bombs in? They killed themselves in London, so obviously saving their own hides wasn't a priority. (3) Gas is a reasonably inefficient way of killing people unless you have infrastructure with that in mind (eg. the holocaust) (4) Al-Qaeda's MO overwhelmingly favours suicide bombing.
Now if you are going to use logic, you will not be welcome on this forum :laugh:

Slats4ever

Pratyush said:
Considering cricketers or most sports persons are easy targets (It is not that difficult to come close to them or meet them. Autograph hunters would know.) and attacks to them could create so much shock value, it is a surprise for me that cricketers haven't been attacked by terrorists till now, especially in India. It is a scary and I hope it never happens.
agreed. and unfortunately I fear that it's only a matter of time and one of the next big attacks could occur at a major sporting event.

pasag

RTDAS
Totally agree with AM on this one, this news doesn't scare me at all. It's like news that came out here a year ago that they were planning a terrorsit attack on melbourne jewish targets. You just can't let news like this affect you in any way, or you'd go mad.

Dick Rockett

pasag said:
You just can't let news like this affect you in any way, or you'd go mad.
And yet we do. The anti-terror laws that have been passed in the US, Britain, and your own country are evidence of this.

archie: I consider myself chastened ;)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
But cricket-loving terrorist Shehzad Tanweer apparently objected and instead the terrorist cell perpetrated the July 7 underground Tube and bus bombings that killed 56 people and injured more than 700.
All I can say is thank the lord for cricket-loving terrorists. Surely the MCC can give this guy a life membership or something - it's hard to think of a greater service to cricket than saving the lives of actual players. That they were engaged in one of the greatest test series of all time only emphasises the point.

I also highly doubt the veracity of this story.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who knows if it's true or not? The sad thing is that in this day and age it's certainly plausible.