• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Death Plot Revealed

Slow Love™

International Captain
Burgey said:
Who knows if it's true or not? The sad thing is that in this day and age it's certainly plausible.
Plausible in the sense that cricketers might be attacked? Sure.
Plausible in the sense that one of the terrorists would say "oh come on guys, I love my cricket" and the other terrorists would say "oh, OK, that's fine, but in that case, we'll have to kill and injure quite a few more".

I dunno.

Obviously the Olympics security guy has his doubts too, in the sense of them having the capabilities and know-how to pull it off in the first place.

Craig

World Traveller
Slow Love™ said:
All I can say is thank the lord for cricket-loving terrorists. Surely the MCC can give this guy a life membership or something - it's hard to think of a greater service to cricket than saving the lives of actual players. That they were engaged in one of the greatest test series of all time only emphasises the point.

I also highly doubt the veracity of this story.
Hehe I was thinking it was pretty ironic myself :laugh:

I suppose getting a job now there would be a lot harder.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
Plausible in the sense that one of the terrorists would say "oh come on guys, I love my cricket" and the other terrorists would say "oh, OK, that's fine, but in that case, we'll have to kill and injure quite a few more".
Well precisely, utter BS for me and one of the most absurd things I've ever read.

This **** is just using one of AL Qaeda's chief weapons, scare tactics, knowing that a small % of people will fall for it like Jason Gillespie seems to have done.

Pasag is right, ignore the ****s.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
Resident experts all over the Aus radio saying that they thought that it all sounds a bit suss...
Tell one of them to pop round and tell Gillespie, the big eejit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
LongHopCassidy said:
That's true, and I take your point, but what would anyone but a newspaper have to gain by scare mongering?
Uh, a few hundred thousand sales I expect..

I don't believe this particular case, but in this country an attack like that is entirely plausible these days, thanks Butcher and Teflon for making our world so safe :thumbsup:

luffy

International Captain
If it happened at least we would of had an excuse for losing the Ashes(sorry lame joke but couldn't resist)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Burgey said:
Who knows if it's true or not? The sad thing is that in this day and age it's certainly plausible.
I'm not sure how effective it would be.

If that Gas only killed 12 in an enclosed area, not sure how effective it would be in open air.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think the claim that they discussed it, and even spitballed some ideas around might well be true, but there's a HUGE gulf between talking crap about doing something like that and actually doing it. In the end, a homemade bomb is a hell of a lot easier unfortunately. If they had sarin, I think they would have used it. Not a credible report at all for me.

That said, a major congregation of people like a sport's crowd is probably too good a target to escape attention for ever sadly.

Must say, it's unlike the media to run off half-****ed at whatever stupid claim some tosser makes. :ph34r:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
John Howard is a cretin. He said the following about the "Ashes threat" on the radio:

John Howard said:
It may not be accurate, the report we're investigating. Our people are talking to their British colleagues and if there's any further information, it will be brought to light but I certainly was not aware, and I think we have to have the source of the allegation very carefully checked before we assume it's correct.

But whether this particular report is true or not, we have to again remind ourselves of the reality that there are people around who want to do us in, who do want to do damage to Australia.
So basically, Howard is saying "while I'll rationally point out that this is probably all a load of nonsense, I'll throw in a little reminder for you all to stay scared of the terrorist boogeyman."

Langeveldt

Soutie
16 tins of Spam said:
John Howard is a cretin. He said the following about the "Ashes threat" on the radio:

So basically, Howard is saying "while I'll rationally point out that this is probably all a load of nonsense, I'll throw in a little reminder for you all to stay scared of the terrorist boogeyman."
I don't think the Ashes death plot was aimed at Australia either...

archie mac

International Coach
16 tins of Spam said:

Just for the record I voted Labor

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I notice that nobody has yet picked up on Ricky's comment on the matter!
That he's fully confident in their security arrangements? Aside from that, he hasn't really made a call on the truth of the story has he?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I notice that nobody has yet picked up on Ricky's comment on the matter!
It was interesting hearing how Ricky commented in his Ashes Tour Diary how if the Aus team was somewhere else other than England, and bombs went off in the city that the side was to play it's next few games in, that they would have most likely left the country. But because it was England, the touring party decided to push on...(or something like that)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Indeed - although I believe he actually said that if they'd been in SL or Pakistan they'd almost certainly have been on the first plane out.