• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ashes Build Up

Originally posted by Rich2001
But none of us English fan (Me/Marc/Neil) have said we will win :rolleyes:

I have already said we will loss but might seak a win one test with a final result of either 3-1 or 4-1
I believe it will be much closer than that, England have a very good test side if they put up a decent total then anything can happen.

English batters gotta play Warne well, and Gough/Jones/Hoggard will really have to perform well to get Aussies out twice.

It will be a close series!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Marc -
I have a bet with my Uncle that it won't finish 5-0 - should succeed in that

Yes it will probably rain enough in one of the tests that it will force a draw.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Looks like Mark Waugh will survive as Lehmann didn't get enough runs on the weekend. Clarke is not ready for test cricket yet. He needs a good full season. Maher and Love should be higher on the pecking order behind Lehmann.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This is more like it from England (note at this moment in time, and nobody can bring this quote up when we're 5-100 on the first day of the 1st Test)

Even Harmison's bowling reasonably now he's not playing in a stupid one dayer.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Paid The Umpire
WA 6-178

looks grim for england.
Stumps - Day 1 (of 3)

Well the tail didn't put up a fight and were bowled out for just 213.

In reply England X1 are 55/0 - R.Key 33* and M.Tresco 13*

[Edited on 28/10/02 by Rich2001]

avalanche_fan

Cricket Spectator
7 wides consecutively.....:frog::frog::frog::frog::frog:

that's worse than agarkar....agarkar and harmison should prob. play for Namibia...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by avalanche_fan

that's worse than agarkar....agarkar and harmison should prob. play for Namibia...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I don't agree. Agarkar has sucked big time in tests for the better part of the last 5 years in tests while Harmison has played only one or two so far :D. It's quite unfair to compare him to Agarkar at this stage of his career.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by anilramavarma
Originally posted by avalanche_fan

I don't agree. Agarkar has sucked big time in tests for the better part of the last 5 years in tests while Harmison has played only one or two so far :D. It's quite unfair to compare him to Agarkar at this stage of his career.
Added to that, it was a one day game, so his natural line was likely to get penalised.

Also, he'd just nearly knocked himself out.

He only played one test, but acquitted himself well in it IMO.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
I was at the WACA yesterday
Hussein played himself into some form.
Crawley looked good
but the bottom order didnt look so good.

The england team had these spots of 20 runs in 5 balls or something then nothing for 8 overs. They did that all day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say they're having a go for the win!

Good to see Jones taking wickets, and 103 off 15 overs is tough, but possible!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Jones was impressive and to draw only 5 runs from victory with enough wickets in hand basically constitutes to a win really so now the pom bashing can finish for now please...

One other thing why does Hussey average loads in England and do crap in Australia...it can't be the bowling attacks as he just got out for 0 and 14 against England...

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Rik
Yeah Jones was impressive and to draw only 5 runs from victory with enough wickets in hand basically constitutes to a win really so now the pom bashing can finish for now please...

One other thing why does Hussey average loads in England and do crap in Australia...it can't be the bowling attacks as he just got out for 0 and 14 against England...
Yeah was a good all-round performance from the team, it's good to see the young fast bowlers doing well and another exciting knock from R.Key (had to get that in :P )

As for your comment on Hussey, maybe it's the same problem as the English batsman, he is so used to the English pitches now and he also needs to have a couple of inngs to get bad into the swing of the quicker pitches, afterall it would have been 7 months from the last time he played at home.

Also you have to remember that Hussey has been batting against all the counties bowlers (Div 2 as well) whereas today he was batting against the best our country has to offer, it's always going to be harder.

[Edited on 30/10/02 by Rich2001]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Unfortunately, comments like that won't help. We drew, end of story. And the reason we drew was because we couldn't bowl them out quickly enough in the second innings.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats why there's an extra day in Test Matches...and we might actually have bowled them out if good for nothing Giles was in the team...0 when batting and he has a strange aversion to taking more than one wicket against even State teams all over the world...When will England dump him? I mean Tuffers went for 178 and only picked up one wicket on a flatbed Oval pitch against the Aussies...but earlier at Edgebaston Giles took only 1 for 128 or sommit and yet he goes on the tours in the winter...not much difference between the 2 but like...Giles has been very inimpressive for a while and its really getting to the point of please please please God when will they dump him...The selectors don't seem to understand that a bowler taking 1-54 can still loose you a game while a bowler who takes 5-100 can win you one...the game is based on getting wickets...not keeping the runs down, and in ODIs where Giles should be effective because he keeps the runs down...he's been a bit of a failure too...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So Tuffnell's 1-178 on a helpful wicket is no worse than Giles' 1-128 on a non-helpful one?

OK!

Also, Giles is a far better fielder and there's no comparison on batting!

There's more to touring than ability.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey always seems to take time to get into the season, and i think he has struggled over the last few seasons, he hasn't been the Michael Hussey we all know...