• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ashes Build Up

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Top_Cat
Anil, Pakistan drew two Test series against the West Indies in the late 80's so I would say that THEY were the only team to give the West Indies team a decent fight. The Aussies used to just get hammered and didn't start putting up a fight until 1992. Before that, the only Tests they won was when the series was all over.
You're right. The Pak team of the 80's was very impressive. Anyway, my point in this whole thing was to stress the fact that the Ashes is really not the premier series in test cricket, hasn't been for quite a while and the main reason has been the lack of adequate challenge from the English team.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Aussies will flock to see the Poms get beaten at anything. It makes you feel good. Tradition will ensure that the Ashes series will be the most followed of all series and will continue to be so forever.

However for terms of quality Australia ve South Africa or India (in India only) would be the best. I just wish the home and away series against South Africa were split by 2 years like the Ashes battles. One gets the feeling that Australia encountered the South Africans recently not at their best but 2 years ago would have been a better contest.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by The Argonaut
Tradition will ensure that the Ashes series will be the most followed of all series and will continue to be so forever.
An India-Pak series would ensure that all records of "most followed series" would tumble.Now if only it happens after such a break....it would be the mother of all series, just for the hype.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess it all boils down to what people term as Premier Series - is it prestige our tradition or quality of sides?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I dont think that the ashes deserves its place as of now, its not competetive and its not hair raising by any stretch of the imagination. Sadly, its only a commercial event now. By premier, it probably means the most sought after and looked upto, which for a long time it has not been. I guess its just the flavour of old rivalries that persistently pulls fans into the gorunds. The main point is that the Ashes has failed to come up to its tradition and reputation. It definitely used to be premier, it most certainly, as of now, is not.

For the english every time, its hoping against hope that maybe this is the one.................. Bet all english fans would want to see Australia battered after this post ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
I guess it all boils down to what people term as Premier Series - is it prestige our tradition or quality of sides?
Premier basically means No: 1. The Ashes is just not competitive enough to be that. Tradition and prestige are all important in their own way, IMO, quality is what matters most.

When the Ashes first started, Aus and Eng were the best teams in the world and so, it was indeed the premier series. That situation has changed drastically and the name "premier" for the Ashes is used more out of habit than anything else. Maybe, it is the most important series for England or for that matter, maybe the Aussies consider it of paramount importance to be able to kick their traditional rivals' ass every once in a while, but the rest of the world definitely doesn't consider it the premier series anymore.

So, you can maybe say, it is the premier series for England and maybe Australia, but definitely not test cricket as a whole.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The fact we're onto our 6th page of discussion about it before the series has even started suggests there must be something about it!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The fact we're onto our 6th page of discussion about it before the series has even started suggests there must be something about it!
Filling up a topic with posts doesn't take much. The discussion is still whether Aus will win 5-0 or 4-1, how Eng's walking wounded will contribute to the final scoreline, how rain will contribute to the final scoreline, wisecracks from both sides, argument over whether it is a premier series or not, a few impartial comments from third parties....

A meaningful discussion of a real premier series or atleast a well-contested series will be an analysis of the respective strengths and weaknesses of both teams, what kind of pitches will have what kind of results, who are the key players on both sides....and so on and so forth. When one team is far too strong for the other, such analysis becomes meaningless as the result is a foregone conclusion. So, it sort of comes down to wisecracks, pulling each other's legs, talk about tradition...blah...blah...blah. That doesn't make it the premier series, my friend.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
No, it suggests that there are more members in this message board here from Aus and Eng and given the history of the series they are all worked up.... specially the Aussies, at the prospect of thrashing the Poms all over again.