• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Different Captains for Different Format of the game?

DirtySocks

Cricket Spectator
Do you believe that Skippers should be different for Test matches and Onedayers, like the Aussies are doing nowdays, or do you think the same captain should skip both the teams??

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the test captain is your main man, while he is in the one day side he is the captain of that, but you wont keep him just because he is the captain.
The aussies are going to face a tough decison when Waugh retires from tests because Gilchrist is the VC. Id be very surprised if Ponting was over looked for the test job when it coems time.

Top_Cat

I've never liked the idea, personally. Too much division within the ranks and quite frankly, polarisation between the two teams. It's part of the reason people are looked at as 'one-day players' or 'Test players' only. Michael Bevan has suffered from this stigma.

The aussies are going to face a tough decison when Waugh retires from tests because Gilchrist is the VC. Id be very surprised if Ponting was over looked for the test job when it coems time.
The Aussies have NEVER meant the vice-captain to be the captain-in-waiting. How many times has Warnie been VC? How about Boonie or Heals? None of these guys have ever been captain yet were VC at times when a new captain was chosen.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Originally posted by Top_Cat
The Aussies have NEVER meant the vice-captain to be the captain-in-waiting. How many times has Warnie been VC? How about Boonie or Heals? None of these guys have ever been captain yet were VC at times when a new captain was chosen.
Tubs was VC before he became captain. Same with Steve Waugh, when the whole Tubby Taylor batting slump was going on they made Steve VC to groom him.

I think that if you have different sides (pioneered by Australia), you might as well have different captains (pioneered by .... ;) ). Punter will probably get captain of the test side, the Australian selectors seem to think that a man who stands behind the stumps can't call the shots.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tubby Taylor? Punter Ponting? Right...now no one is allowed to critisise me when I call Trescothick Tresco...:lol:

Top_Cat

Tubby Taylor? Punter Ponting? Right...now no one is allowed to critisise me when I call Trescothick Tresco...:lol:
I swear I'm going to write an article about the shocking state of nicknames in the Australian side right now one day.................

I mean look at some of them!

Michael Slater = Slats
Justin Langer = Langs
Matthew Hayden = Haydos
Ricky Ponting = Punter
Damien Martyn = Marto
Adam Gilchrist = Gilly
Shane Warne = Warnie
Damien Fleming = Flemo
Andrew Bichel = Bich

Ugh.

The most original nickname I ever heard? Two of them spring to mind:

Mark Waugh = Afghanistan
Neville Olliver = 'Fart in the bath'.

Work those out! I'll post the solutions later. :D

Simon

Mark Waugh was known as Afghanistan because he was not as popular as his brother, and the Afghanistan was was the forgotten war. Or something along those lines.

Langer is better known as Alf.

Top_Cat

Mark Waugh was known as Afghanistan because he was not as popular as his brother, and the Afghanistan was was the forgotten war. Or something along those lines.
Good guess. :)

As for Neville Oliver, his nickname comes from when you say his name like you've got marbles in your mouth and it comes out out like:

<b>Nebblobelar</b>

If done with a deep voice, it sounds like a 'fart in the bath'.

:D

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is Neville Oliver the bloke who used to do commentary for the ABC Radio? They called him the Doctor or something ... Or I could be completely wrong :D

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it's a tough call. Take the Aussies. If it so happens that , say, Waugh goes out and you want to make Bevan the captain. Now this shouldn't be a problem because that is not likely to polarise the squad. Very few doubt Bevan's credentials as the side's best ODI batsman.
However, when you axe Waugh from one side and make someone else the captain even while that person plays under Waugh in the test side.... there's always a chance of friction don't you think?

Take India: If Ganguly had been axed from the test team for nonperformance last year , and they'd made someone else captain, I suspect we'd have had some unnecessary friction in the camp if and when Ganguly made a comeback into the test team. Or maybe not.

Very tough call.

[Edited on 25/10/2002 by full_length]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by sean
Is Neville Oliver the bloke who used to do commentary for the ABC Radio? They called him the Doctor or something ... Or I could be completely wrong :D
As in the 40 year old Bond film.