• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Openers to Tail-enders: The best Averages

Natman20

International Debutant
An interesting summary of results have been found identifying the best batting averages for their respective batting positions in their line-ups:

1. Herbert Sutcliffe, England (61.10 from 83 innings)
2. Bruce Mitchell, South Africa (56.90 from 48 innings)
3. Don Bradman, Australia (103.63 from 56 innings)
4. Jacques Kallis, South Africa (70.42 from 77 innings)
5. Frank Worrell, West Indies (59.45 from 23 innings)
6. Shivnarine Chanderpaul, West Indies (62.68 from 39 innings)
7. Brian McMillan, South Africa (58.38 from 23 innings)
8. Daniel Vettori, NZ (36.21 from 27 innings)
9.Shaun Pollock, South Africa (41.07 from 20 innings)
10. Peter Pollock, South Africa (22.46 from 20 innings)
11. Derek Underwood, England (18.19 from 27 innings)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pretty cool to see two Pollocks in there. No doubt if G Pollock had played in different times he may also be on that list.

More impressed by the top four though, as they've played quite a fe winnings in those positions while the others have played under 30.

I'd like to see a list with batsmen who have played over 70% of their innings in the one position...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NZTailender said:
More impressed by the top four though, as they've played quite a few winnings in those positions while the others have played under 30.
Actually Shivnarine Chanderpaul has played 39 innings at Number 6.

I was really suprised that Vettori, Chanderpaul and Kallis had made the list. I never realised how effective Jacques Kallis has been at Number 4 over the years, really impressive how he averages 70 considering he has played 77 innings there.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
What about Graeme Pollock? 60.97 from 41 should give Frank Worrell or Bruce Mitchell a run for thier money!

Perm

Graeme Pollock averages 62.58 at No.4 and 47.75 at No.5 and unfortunately is not good enough to top either of those positions. Interestingly enough Barry Richards does not make the list, even though he averages 72.57 whilst playing at Number 1. He only played 7 innings and I think that is probably why he didn't make the list.

luffy

International Captain
Natman20 said:
An interesting summary of results have been found identifying the best batting averages for their respective batting positions in their line-ups:

Where did you find that mate??

oz_fan

International Regular
luffy said:
Where did you find that mate??
I think Natman20 found that on Cricinfo at Highest Batting Averages by Batting Position.

It also lists the ODI lineup of:
1 HH Dippenaar (Afr/SAf)
2 GM Turner (NZ)
3 IVA Richards (WI)
4 MG Bevan (Aust)
5 JH Kallis (SAf)
6 MG Bevan (Aust)
7 E Chigumbura (Zimb)
8 L Klusener (SAf)
9 SM Pollock (ICC/SAf)
10 Z Khan (India)
11 M Ntini (ICC/SAf)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Natman20 said:

Didn't really expect McMillan to be there..

oz_fan

International Regular
pietersenrocks said:
Where is Michael Hussey?
It is a 20 innings minimum at the one position and because Hussey's batting position in the middle order varies he hasn't played enough at any one position to make the list.

Steulen

International Regular
oz_fan said:
It is a 20 innings minimum at the one position and because Hussey's batting position in the middle order varies he hasn't played enough at any one position to make the list.
IIRC he has played 19 innings at #6 in ODI's, and thus needs only one more inning to come into the team.

Scaly piscine

Position 5 for the ODIs is interesting, Kallis edging out Collingwood by virtue of having more not-outs (which is no surprise given it's Kallis, he who loves stats - particularly his own).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
Position 5 for the ODIs is interesting, Kallis edging out Collingwood by virtue of having more not-outs (which is no surprise given it's Kallis, he who loves stats - particularly his own).

Collingwood, that world class batsman, him.

Scaly piscine

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Oh hell yes. That 59 at The Oval, worth 590 to me
Ironic really because that was roughly his bowling average for the series wasn't it? (I'll let you decide on which figure)

Think Warne was so stunned that he didn't play a pre-mediated sweep to a straight ball and miss it that he had no idea what to do.

Please note by the way that Giles bashing is mandatory because it winds up marc the Warwickshire zealot.