• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Idea About These English Players?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just reading through the Premier Cricket website, and saw the overseas players section. Have played against a few of the English guys before (David Alleyne and Roger Sillence), but there's two others I haven't heard of.

Samit Patel
P McMahon

Playing for Essendon and Melbourne Uni respectively. Can any English members inform me of what they do?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samit Patel:

Samit Rohit Patel born 30 November 1984, Leicester, England is an English cricket player who has played for the cricket teams of Nottinghamshire. Since making his debut for Nottinghamshire at the age of 16, he has featured consistently in the team, in both first class and limited overs matches. He is widely regarded as the future of Nottinghamshire cricket, and having already played for the Under 19 squad, Patel is being tipped for a place in the senior England squad. He has already had small taste of the England set up, after he came on as a substitute fielder In the third test match against Sri Lanka at his home ground Trent Bridge in June 2006. Another impressive record for Samit is he became the only man in the history of the English Twenty20 competition to claim a double-wicket maiden, when Nottinghamshire Played Derbyshire at New Road, 2006. And more recently, he has been subject to internet campaign 'Patelwatch', in which every move of his season has been tracked.

Cricinfo page.

Chubb

International Regular
Paul Mcmahon is a spinner.

Paul McMahon is a product of the Nottinghamshire Academy. He is an off-spinner of great potential, and is regarded as one of the brightest young spin bowling prospects in the country. He uses his height and a classical action to obtain good loop and genuine spin, allied to impressive control. He played for England Under-19s in the 2002 World Cup in New Zealand and was generally regarded as England's best bowler in an otherwise disappointing campaign.

McMahon plays club cricket for Wollaton in the Nottinghamshire Premier League, was educated at Trinity RC Comprehensive School in Nottingham, winning a place to read law at Wadham College, Oxford starting from the autumn of 2002. In his second year there, he turned out for British Universities, and captained the Oxford Academy side (the one merged with Brookes) to victory in the UCCE championship while his Oxford side won both Varsity matches.

Meanwhile, the seam-friendly conditions at Trent Brdige, and the presence of Stuart MacGill as overseas player restricted him to just six first-team appearnces from 2002 to 2004. Undeterred, McMahon developed his batting to the point of being a rather awkward tail-ender to dismiss, and has even notched up a 99 in four-day first-class cricket.

Despite MacGill's departure before the 2005 season, the signing of Graeme Swann limited McMahon's opportunities and he was released at the end of 2006.
Cricinfo staff September 2006

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
:)

Never heard of Patel? Thats a shame, my favourite player.

I will spare you the detail of all his amazing facts

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tomm NCCC said:
:)

Never heard of Patel? Thats a shame, my favourite player.

I will spare you the detail of all his amazing facts
I had the feeling you were gonna post in here before long.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Cant imagine why...

A point about Mcmahon: I never got to see him play at Notts, which is dissapointing. Can someone tell me how old he is?