• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your impression of Zaheer Khan

Eclipse

International Debutant
hes good but he would not get a game with many sides like Australia South Africa etc..

What I like about him is that he seems to give it his very best every time and never seems to take backwards steps in trying to improve.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is that although he's performing quite well of late he still averages in the late 30's with the ball...which to be fair is still not good enough. Ok his average is going down but everyone was saying how impressive he was when he was averaging 40 with the ball...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say he looks alright but he doesn't have that trajectory moving away from the bat like most of the better left-armers. He keeps the ball well up which is a bonus. He'll definately get much better.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem was that everyone was saying how impressive he was in England and yet he was being carted around the grounds by Vaughan. He was the best Indian seamer but his wickets were quite expensive, 11 wickets at 43.90 do not tell the whole story of how he performed but they are not very impressive if you look at them just on their own...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He is showing some steady improvement though from series to series. When you start with that bad an average, you will need time to whittle it down to a respectable one.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I know, but all I'm saying is he is a hard working and quite good player but he is no great. And people are a little too ready to praise him at the moment, the WIndies are a weak team without Lara and Zaheer still needs to improve a lot.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik
I know, but all I'm saying is he is a hard working and quite good player but he is no great. And people are a little too ready to praise him at the moment, the WIndies are a weak team without Lara and Zaheer still needs to improve a lot.
No, definitely he is no great. He is just the best of the current lot in India which, I guess isn't saying much about the Indian pace attack.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He's like a Srinath...hard working and definatly not slow...but I doubt he will hit the heights Srinath has and I feel he will average around 30 for his career, like Srinath. I still feel Srinath is the best Indian pacer since Kapil Dev, and the arrival of Zaheer has changed nothing. He is a useful bowler though.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He's like a Srinath...hard working and definatly not slow...but I doubt he will hit the heights Srinath has and I feel he will average around 30 for his career, like Srinath. I still feel Srinath is the best Indian pacer since Kapil Dev, and the arrival of Zaheer has changed nothing. He is a useful bowler though and can only continue to improve.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Rik
He's like a Srinath...hard working and definatly not slow...but I doubt he will hit the heights Srinath has and I feel he will average around 30 for his career, like Srinath. I still feel Srinath is the best Indian pacer since Kapil Dev, and the arrival of Zaheer has changed nothing. He is a useful bowler though.
No he's not like Srinath yet...Srinath could become very deadly when he got the rhythm and was almost unplayable at times.

Zaheer is yet to reach that stage but he surely is showing the promise to be a good one over the long run.He is getting better and better and hopefully will be able to fill Srinath's shoes well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He's got potential and over the next couple of years he needs to start fulfilling it. He should be leading the Indian pace attack for a few years to come and I think he has the chance to make himself one of the better Indian pace bowlers of all time.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not saying hes crap, I'm just saying he is getting a bit too much praise at the moment, with people saying he is a great bowler...great bowlers don't average 38...he has potential but needs to take lots of wickets in an innings...ok easier said than done when you have Harbajan and Kumble in your team...but he needs to take some 5-6-7 wicket hauls to take his average down rather than taking a few useful and sometimes key wickets...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by anilramavarma
He is showing some steady improvement though from series to series. When you start with that bad an average, you will need time to whittle it down to a respectable one.
Definitely.

Flintoff has certainly suffered from that - he's been bowling really well in the last year (since his spell in the academy), but still has a high average!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with Flintoff is he bowls too much the same. He doesn't swing it and he rarely bowls full so the batsmen can get into line and not be worried the ball will jag back and mash the stumps...he is effective in one day games because he is so straight though...

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think zaheer khan is a good bowler but at the moment the indian media is praising him much more than he deserve, he doesnt have the swing or variey of wasim or the pace of Shoaib and yet he is praised more than any other bowler at the time. The media should be a bit more realistic about him.

Zaheer Khan is one hell of a bowler, genuine fast and have good control too.I would say that in a yr or so he would become the leading bowler in the world.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by sheerindianspeed

Zaheer Khan is one hell of a bowler, genuine fast and have good control too.I would say that in a yr or so he would become the leading bowler in the world.
Based on what? He's not even the best bowler in India!

In fact he's 4th, and theres 22 above him at the moment in the world.

I can't see that inn just one year he'll be a better bowler than McGrath, Pollock, Waqar, Akhtar or Gillespie, or Warne, Murali, the 2 Indian spinners or Saqlain, let alone the other bowlers ahead of him (note I deliberately didn't include any English bowlers in there - there's at least 3 of them to add to that list)

V Reddy

International Debutant
Marc, Some people just praise a player they like too much. They know in reality that what they say wouldn't happen. There is a soldier in the other thread who is a champ in this. :lol: