• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan refuses acting as ad-hoc captain - his future might be in danger

Nishant

International 12th Man
nightprowler10 said:
I'm willing to bet that Shahryar Khan was forced out. He probably had problems with Younis being captain as well. Musharraf probably sensed the political BS going on in PCB and forced Khan out. This is where dictatorship comes in handy. Screw democracy! :p
if that's true....then it all makes sense! Younis wouldn't mind being captain now that shahryar khan is gone! Or it could be that younis was threatened that if he were to put on that sort of attitude (going against the PCB's wishes), then he'll be taken out of the team....in which case he has no choice but to smile and pretend that he really wants to be the captain!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'll post here what I posted on another forum:

According to different sources, the following is what lead to Younis' outburst:

-Younis went to see Shehryar Khan to try and reinstate a low level employee. The latter was too busy for him and made him wait forever. Younis got PO'd and left.

-PCB selcted Faisal Iqbal when Younis wanted Asim Kamal to make the squad instead. Shehryar never took the captain's opinion.

-Yousuf, Afridi, and Akhtar supposedly were against Younis getting the captaincy for the CT.

With Shehryar gone, that solves two of Younis' problems. You must remember that Younis belongs to a culture where honor is everything.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
I'll post here what I posted on another forum:

According to different sources, the following is what lead to Younis' outburst:

-Younis went to see Shehryar Khan to try and reinstate a low level employee. The latter was too busy for him and made him wait forever. Younis got PO'd and left.

-PCB selcted Faisal Iqbal when Younis wanted Asim Kamal to make the squad instead. Shehryar never took the captain's opinion.

-Yousuf, Afridi, and Akhtar supposedly were against Younis getting the captaincy for the CT.

With Shehryar gone, that solves two of Younis' problems. You must remember that Younis belongs to a culture where honor is everything.

This is just too ridiculous to fathom. This is like 9th grade, when you don't sit at someone's lunch table because they said mean things about you. The level of immaturity and unprofessionalism astounds me.

I am suprised that anything gets done with attituted like those. It makes ICC look like the paragons of professionalism!

Last edited:

godofcricket

State 12th Man
silentstriker said:
This is just too ridiculous to fathom. This is like 9th grade, when you don't sit at someone's lunch table because they said mean things about you. The level of immaturity and unprofessionalism astounds me
I totally agree, i read somewhere when asif iqbal blamed the PCB for not doing enough to groom the cricketers to know how they should be conducting themselves at such a high level.......toally immature behaviour from the pakistani team!!!!! I sometimes think they forget they are representing a country and are high profile people.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is everyone so surprised? This has been going on forever in Pakistani cricket.

Anyway, Younis seems like a good choice to me - he's by far the toughest cricketer Pakistan has got (compare his performance at Old Trafford this year with the heartless efforts of Yousuf and Inzy) and seemingly has the balls to stand up to the administration.

Good luck to him I say.

BTW, why the hell would anyone care what Afridi's opinion was on the matter? The guy's a fringe dweller at best with the heart, brain and character of a pea

Xuhaib

International Coach
social said:
Why is everyone so surprised? This has been going on forever in Pakistani cricket.

Anyway, Younis seems like a good choice to me - he's by far the toughest cricketer Pakistan has got (compare his performance at Old Trafford this year with the heartless efforts of Yousuf and Inzy) and seemingly has the balls to stand up to the administration.

Good luck to him I say.

BTW, why the hell would anyone care what Afridi's opinion was on the matter? The guy's a fringe dweller at best with the heart, brain and character of a pea
Unfortunatley the guy is the second most marketable player in the countary after Akhtar.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Turbinator said:
I don't think India wants you to be their captain either.
What if he skippered them in back to back 5 Test series and then retired with a 10-0 record and being the best captain ever?!

Its also being said that Dr.Naseem Ashraf & Younis Khan are both from Mardan & they conspired to force Shahriyar Khan(who was already under huge criticism for mishandling the Oval Test issue) to resign.Few others say that Shahriyar Khan was forced by President Musharraf to resign & it was not his decision at all.

According to some media reports Inzi's captaincy is also doubtful for the home series against WI & World Cup,after Younis Khan's re-appointment as captain for the Champions Trophy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
What if he skippered them in back to back 5 Test series and then retired with a 10-0 record and being the best captain ever?!

Wouldn't that be something? Of course, I can't bowl bat or field. But I have a brilliant cricketing mind, so I can't really lose against anybody.

As long as anybody = all girl's elementry school.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:

Of course, If I managed to get myself a captainship in India, it would mean I am filthy rich and have bribed everyone in BCCI (which shouldn't be too hard). And if I can do that, I probably have enough to bribe the umpires too. So yea, I would be undefeated.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, this whole situation has been very strange indeed, good to see him back a very good leader in the making IMO.