• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie XI for 1st Ashes Test

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is what I think...

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
M.Waugh
S.Waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie (if fit)
McGrath

HOWEVER.......

After the Pakistan series, I'd be putting *big* question marks on Mark Waugh and Brett Lee. I'd say that if they don't perform in this test, then they should get the kick. Simple as that.

If they don't perform, then the side for Adelaide should be:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
S.Waugh
Lehmann
Gilchrist
Warne
Bichel (or MacGill/Hauritz depending on the deck)
Gillespie
McGrath

Other possibilities should include...

Brad Williams - as a back-up pacer.

Stuart MacGill - as previously mentioned, if for some reason the selectors want a spinner but decide against Hauritz.

Michael Clarke - as the next batsman in line after Lehmann, followed closely by Maher.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I like the look of the second side. Bichel may play because the first test is at the GAbba. While I think Michael Clarke is up there, guys like Maher, Love and Hussey are above him in the pecking order.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
nope your first team mate
no reason to change a winning combination.
Lee thou that would upset my girlfriend
lets drop him

since when has williams been ahead of kaspawitch(how the hell do you spell his name)

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah i agree with the Argonaut....
I think Clarke still has a couple in front of him before he gets his chance....

Bichel i like but i would love to see Brad Williams get a go, and i think if Stuart Clark starts the season off well over here he could also push for a spot...
I can't really see many changes.....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kasprowicz, by the way. :-D

My 11 would be:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
M Waugh
S Waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Until the series is won. If the series is won and Mark Waugh hasn't consolidated his spot, I'd bring in Lehmann to bat at 6 and put Martyn up to number 4.

As for the bowlers, if one of them gets injured, Bichel is obviously next in line but next under him should be Williams or Ashley Noffke.

Simon

1 Hayden
2 Langer
3 Ponting
4 Martyn
5 S Waugh
6 Lehmann
7 Gilchrist
8 Warne
9 Lee
10 Gillespie
11 McGrath

The only change is Mark Waugh gone. The Poms will be dangerous, we csnt afford to be carrying anyone. Lehmann deserves another chance, he is next in line, However it is time for Martyn to move up to number 4 even and lehmann would come in at 6.
If the selectors do stick with Mark Waugh, Martyn has to move up to number 4 anyway. He is wasted at 6 and is often coming in against the second new ball.
If there were any changes in the bowling Lee would go for Bichel.
Is Gillespie 100% going to play in Brisbane does anyone know?

Brett Lee is one of the worst bowler right now.Can you imagine, the guy averaged near 47 with the ball against a very young and pathetic Pak team and got 5 wkts in three test matches!!!

Simon

its pretty hard to get wickets when there is a guy called shane warne at the other end taking a wicket everytime he looks at the batsman.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why does everyone want to put Martyn at 4? I think he is better at 6, why change a bloke's position who has batted there extremely successfully in the last two years?

Originally posted by broncoman
its pretty hard to get wickets when there is a guy called shane warne at the other end taking a wicket everytime he looks at the batsman.
And its only hard for Lee, others like McGrath,Jason, bichel fared well even in the presence of Warne.

Lee has been doing nothing since a long time, he should be dropped from the team along with M Waugh

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Brett Lee has lost his "shock" value that he had when he first came on the scene. A season in the Pura Cup would do him a world of good, maybe Australia should consider playing one of their up and coming pace bowlers instead.