• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think is theSecond best Batsman in the world EVER

chris.hinton

International Captain
Well Bradman was the best NO ONE can Dispute that, But who do you think is the next best Tendulkar or Waugh or Headley

Who do you think?

My Vote goes to Tendulkar

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its hard to say considering ive only been watching test cricket for 11 years.
But from records, footage etc...... its hard to go past Viv, Gavaskar, Tendulkar.
Right now i would say Schin but, Gilchrist is revolutionise the way test cricket is played. He may very well end up with a test average of 75, if he contiunes to bat 7 he will have plenty of chances to get 30 and 40's not out. As well as plenty of centuries.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Viv probably.

G Pollock did not get a chance to play much test cricket otherwise he very could have been it.

Sachin has very good stats, but hasnt done enough to win matches, especially abroad, for India.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I think Gary Sobers or Sachin Tendulkar have to be it. Quite difficult to campare though, coz they're from different era

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by broncoman
its hard to say considering ive only been watching test cricket for 11 years.
But from records, footage etc...... its hard to go past Viv, Gavaskar, Tendulkar.
Right now i would say Schin but, Gilchrist is revolutionise the way test cricket is played. He may very well end up with a test average of 75, if he contiunes to bat 7 he will have plenty of chances to get 30 and 40's not out. As well as plenty of centuries.
Gilchrist is an excellent batsman with an exceptional average, but great batsmen are not only about great averages. They are also about playing well under all kinds of situations(under extreme pressure, on pacey wickets, on spin-friendly wickets....). Gilchrist is still pretty weak against spin. In the Aussie side, so is another exceptional player, Ponting(I know you didn't mention him, but...). So, IMO, they can't be called all-time greats(forget the 2nd greatest) just yet.

[Edited on 10/21/2002 by anilramavarma]

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
For me, it would have to be a tie between Sobers, Viv Richards and Gavaskar. I think Tendulkar will go on to become the clear second best by the end of his career, but for now, I wouldn't put him immediately after Bradman. There are other players like Headley, Weekes, Lara, Pollock, Barry Richards etc in the equation but for longevity and sustained excellence, I would put the first three named at the top of the list.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think this is a really tough question because The players that we see today are fresh in our minds and some of the other greats are older. For me I would have to say Tendulkar but I have only been following cricket for about 4 years so I don't know much about people who played before this time.

masterblaster

International Captain
From what I have seen on TV, Sachin Tendulkar takes the cake. His innings against Australia back in 1997-1998 were ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL, I mean you cannot even IMAGINE that someone can play innings like he did In Sharjah and in the Mini World Cup 1998, and against Australia Perth when he was 19, and against Australia in 1998 tour to India.

To play over a 100 tests for your country and average just about 58 with over 8000 runs with 30 test centuries, says something special.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
its impossible to say, my fav to watch is Gilly, Hayden is batting better than Tendulkar at the moment but it is hard to say wether he is better overall or not, Viv Richards was also v good

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
This is one thing that I hate to do....rate best players or better then the best and that sort of thing.

There are so many players that you see one day and feel that they are darn good....and then there are so many from yesteryears that you hear about but haven't seen in live action to make a judgement.That gives a biased opinion but it sure makes for good discussion.

I would rate Sachin Tendulkar to be the second best.He just pips Viv Richards by a little margin because of his consistency which is a shade better then Richards.

But I would say this, there was no better sight in cricket then to watch Richards on song.He just scared the crap out of the bowling team and Tendulkar is not even close in that respect.

Then there are those greats from SA who didn't get much of a chance to prove much in the international arena.Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock are two of the finest to have weilded the willow and then there is Gary Sobers himself.

So, IMO when I say Tendulkar is the second best and someone else says Sobers is the second best, it should be taken from the persepctive of our own biases and limited vision.

Bradman being the first is because of his astounding average which no mortal can achieve and so everyone has to live with the "second best" tag at best.

[Edited on 22/10/2002 by aussie_beater]

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
no one seems to have shouted for the english cause here so i suppose ill have to do it.

len hutton was probably englands best ever batter and undoubtadly one of the best ever. However because of the time he lived in its hard to judge him, and he also lived under bradmans shadow unfortunately. this sais, i do think there can be no debate like this without len hutton8D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Viv Richards because if he got going you mayaswell field the whole team outside the ground or pull up some deckchairs & let him go bazurk.